Question about PCV/Oil Breathers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-29-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Send a message via Yahoo to renouji Send a message via Skype™ to renouji
Question about PCV/Oil Breathers

So I have a few mechanics here telling me I should replace my Oil Breather with a PCV on my 1968 289 and I did some research on it and came up with a lot of confusing answers.

a) Oil breather with a hose plugs into the right (passenger) valve cover and has a hose that plugs into the base of the carburetor ... mine goes from the oil breather to a port on the bottom of the air filter behind the carburetor where should this be plugging into my edelbrock 1604?

b) some places say to just replace the oil breather with a PCV on the right (passenger) side v/c and to replace the oil cap on the left (driver) side with a cap air filter and have the PCV connect to the rear base of the carb ... where? huh? and this will supposedly stop a carb backfire from going back into the crankcase causing it to explode? what? and supposedly reduce the air pressure inside the engine?? confused. this will reduce some sort of stink from back flow coming into the passenger compartment?

c) other sites say that option b will not work that way without a system tied with the traditional exhaust evac system to vent crankcase gases built up during idle ( high vacuum from carb ) and full throttle ( vacuum from the exhaust evac system ) And the vacuum line going to the carb would need a check valve typical of an air pump emission system to prevent a backfire from entering the crankcase and possibly exploding the engine. ok royally confused. and this will place a vacuum in the crankcase lowering the atmospheric pressure to 14.7 PSI at sea level which will reduce windage losses and assist oil drain-back to the pan which should reduce the amount of oil up in the top of the back of the valve covers.

Can anyone help sort this mess of information out? I know next to nothing about engines other than replace this part and thats wrong the hose should be connected to here not there.

Thanks - Does not want my engine exploding or stinking up my car.
renouji is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The typical method is breather on passenger side with a tube to the underside if the air filter cover and a PCV valve on the driver side with a tube to the front of the carburetor. This will properly ventilate the engine. Make sure all other vacuum ports have new plugs for a good seal. They get brittle and leak overtime.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Utah
Send a message via Yahoo to renouji Send a message via Skype™ to renouji
One of the first things I did to this engine when I got the car was replace all my vacuum plugs and all the hoses except for fuel & brake lines. Thanks for the info, the PCV that O-Reilly's showed me for this 289 had 2 hose ports tho?

O'Reillyauto.com 1968 Ford Mustang Base V8 - 4.7L vin C 289ci - MasterPro® Ignition - PCV Valve
renouji is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs