1964.5 VIN Location - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-06-2013, 11:01 PM   #1

Region: Minnesota
1964.5 VIN Location

I bought a 1964 convertible mustang and later found out the VIN on the door plate and stamped in the driver side fender frame is for a 2 door coup. I know the car is an original convertible based on the frame and many other things. Nothing appears to have been tampered with. Is it possible it could be a factory mistake? Has anyone ever heard of that happening? I've taken the passenger side fender off because I heard there was a hidden VIN on that side. Found nothing but maybe I'm not looking in the right spot. Does anyone have a photo where it is supposed to be? Lastly, is it even possible to get something like this corrected with the DMV without having the full story, like whether it's a factory error or not.
VINSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
On my 67, i asked the seller if we could pull the passenger fender back and double heck the confidential vin. Not sure it it's the same on the 64 1/2 but on a 67, it's supposed to be along the back half, under the fender lip.
After pulling back the fender we didn't see it anywhere, and I was mildly concerned at first, but we actually found it hidden under lots of paint about 2/3 of the way towards the front rather than the back. We actually took a wire brush to it to read it.
If your front end sheet metal has been replaced it truly might not be there, but really look closely all along the sheet metal and see if there is anything there. Even if you look right at it, it might be very tough to see link in my case.
Hopefully someone can confirm the 64 1/2 location for you. I'll snap a picture of where mine was located on my way out the door today for you. Good luck!

Evan
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:30 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3606584551.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	478.7 KB
ID:	131754

So I'm pointing to where mine was located - you can see where we brushed through the paint to read it. The yellow post it notes are roughly where I've heard it usually is.
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
On my 68 coupe I took the instrument cluster out and there was the factory build sheet folded up and taped to the wiring harness. I don't know if it would be there on a 641/2 but it certainly made me 100% positive that I have a factory v8 car..... Maybe your car took a hit to the front end it was rusted out and someone grafted on a coupe front end? Just out of curiosity what are the first 5 characters of the VIN, I believe the 3rd and 4th should be 03 signifying a convertible
BA68 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #5

Thanks for the tips. The 3rd and 4th number of the VIN is 07 meaning it's a 2 door coup. It should be 08 for convertible.
Old 10-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Hmmm that is indeed a mystery.... Is it a clean title?
BA68 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #7

Yes, it was registered in 2001 in Wisconsin and there is nothing on the VIN report besides registration. The fender frames look original, no signs of foul play. The door plate looks original with original revits. That's why I was hoping its known factory error where FORD put the wrong VIN on a car. And it's therefore not a devalued mustang.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
What's the body code on the data plate on the door?

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Isnt there vin stamped behind the rear bumper ? I think i saw number back there somewhere
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 01:40 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I just found this on google
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1123157485.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	131967  
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 07:04 AM   #11
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by VINSeeker View Post
I bought a 1964 convertible mustang and later found out the VIN on the door plate and stamped in the driver side fender frame is for a 2 door coup. I know the car is an original convertible based on the frame and many other things. Nothing appears to have been tampered with. Is it possible it could be a factory mistake? Has anyone ever heard of that happening? I've taken the passenger side fender off because I heard there was a hidden VIN on that side. Found nothing but maybe I'm not looking in the right spot. Does anyone have a photo where it is supposed to be? Lastly, is it even possible to get something like this corrected with the DMV without having the full story, like whether it's a factory error or not.
When you say you can tell by the frame, what do you mean? I'm not an expert, but I know the 65-66 convertible had different rockers than the coupe and a brace in the tunnel. Is that what you're referring to? I know people have turned coupes into fastbacks and convertbiles, but I'd be surprised if very many changed the rockers to do a convertible. The tunnel and inner fender braces are easy to add.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs