POR-15 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
POR-15

I've never used it but have heard great things about it. I recently pulled my rear axle while replacing leaf springs. I pulled it to get better access as I also have to replace my fuel line. While it was out I was going to POR-15 the axle.

While I was under there, I noticed my rear floor pans have some surface rust issues and eventually will need a replacement down the line when I have the time and cash for a more in-depth restoration. For now, would it be feasible/worthwhile to clean up the underside and put POR-15 on it, or would I just be wasting my effort?
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I guess it depends on how bad the rust is and how far into the future will you replace rust with new metal. I used it on my 66 after putting in new floor pans.
DaddyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 06:09 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER12883 View Post
I've never used it but have heard great things about it. I recently pulled my rear axle while replacing leaf springs. I pulled it to get better access as I also have to replace my fuel line. While it was out I was going to POR-15 the axle.

While I was under there, I noticed my rear floor pans have some surface rust issues and eventually will need a replacement down the line when I have the time and cash for a more in-depth restoration. For now, would it be feasible/worthwhile to clean up the underside and put POR-15 on it, or would I just be wasting my effort?
Here is an review of POR-15 to Rust Encapsulator keep in mind this is from Eastwood who makes the RE. I would search around a little more and see what I could find. I have been leaning towards the RE but before I buy it I will do some more research I only want to flip my 68 once and do it right the first time. I will be doing it next summer. Good luck and let us know

POR 15 Vs Rust Encapsulator - Products Comparision Part 1

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the article, even taken with a grain of salt that certainly gives me something else to research. So the area I was considering is above the rear axle. Eventually (maybe 5-10 yrs down the road?) I'd like to do a full rotisserie restoration, but that isn't in he cards now. In the meantime, I'd like the current state of rust not to get any worse. It has what I would call moderate surface rust. Hitting and poking at it, there is definitely still metal there, but at the worst spots, the rust is starting to flake off.

The good news is the she will be garaged from here on out, so no more exposure to the elements. From what I have seen with POR-15, it works very well, but it looked like you had to get the surface almost hospital clean before applying. Seeing as how I will be working underneath the car inside of my garage, that presents a challenge. Wire wheeling everything won't be fun, but is certainly doable (I'd have to do that regardless of product,) mostly it's the hosing the surface off that is not really an option. I'll certainly do more research and keep you guys posted. Thanks!
Old 11-05-2013, 12:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Dont get any on your hands it wont come off... My hands were black for a week and half I used it on my car all under the the dash and all in the cowl area it also drys with a nice smooth finish only other this is once you open the can when you close it the cap pretty much isnt coming off again
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I also just cleaned up all under my car too with a due grinder with a wire wheel it was too bad id use a full face shield next time this my face was covered with 45 years of road grime i just painted my with bed liner
Old 11-05-2013, 06:42 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post
Dont get any on your hands it wont come off... My hands were black for a week and half I used it on my car all under the the dash and all in the cowl area it also drys with a nice smooth finish only other this is once you open the can when you close it the cap pretty much isnt coming off again
To stop the lid sealing to the can take a 16 penny nail and punch holes on the inside of the rim. I do this with paint cans also. The next trick I use is put a piece of wax paper or cling plastic over the top then put the lid on.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I went with the Eastwood RE on the rear axle housing. It actually behaves interestingly. I was surprised at how thin it was going on, and surprised again at how quickly it set up. I made sure all the parts I hit were at room temp, and performed the process in my basement. I let it set up for a few hours then moved the whole show to the garage to reduce fumes.

I used a cheap brush to apply it and the end result looks decent. I wouldn't call it show quality, but it is exactly what I was looking for, and should work on the floor pans I want to hit as well. I would consider actually applying it in a slightly cooler environment like my garage - that might give it a little more time to level out an reduce streaks from brushing. But that's something I wasn't really concerned with for this application.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1137595921.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	505.7 KB
ID:	136676

Once I figure out the pumpkin and get it installed, it's going to get some of this as well. I was considering top coating with some rattle can black, but that would really be overkill for what I'm trying to do.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Looking nice!!!
Old 11-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisb.young66 View Post
Looking nice!!!
Thanks! I should have included these. Here is the "before" when I first pulled it:

Name:	image-566438504.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	442.6 KB
ID:	136731

And here is the "during" after some quality wire wheel time on my angle grinder:

Name:	image-2384818802.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	480.9 KB
ID:	136732

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs