My Rear End - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
My Rear End

I guys, I'm cleaning up my rear axle, and in the continuum spirit of "while I'm at it..." What should I tackle while I have easy access? I'm replacing oil seals and gaskets, and cleaning and painting the housing and diff exterior, and I'm planning to redo the rear drums too.

Without knowing the history, I'm working under the assumption that everything is original (and therefore 47 yrs old), what else should I go ahead and replace? Should I need new bearings? What is serviceable (by me) in the diff that might need a look at?

Thanks in advance!
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
completely off topic,
but you can paint your axle housing, prevent rust!
it's a simple brush on kit, self levelling.
looks clean, and bonds to existing rust.
once again, just a suggestion
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I was looking at both POR-15 and Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. I wound up ion with RE. Seems like POR works better, but if you don't get the surface completely clean with their prep products, it doesn't work. I actually just put my second coat of re on the housing and spring perches. I'll let you know how it turns out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 06:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
What's the kit called? You can't just give a great suggestion without a link or at least a name! JK. But seriously, got a name?
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcox83 View Post
What's the kit called? You can't just give a great suggestion without a link or at least a name! JK. But seriously, got a name?
Just google por-15
It's got a on of products.
I know I've got a 12 but I want to do that eventually :p
Gonna make it last as long as possible :p
Old 11-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Thanks to both of you!
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcox83 View Post
Thanks to both of you!
No problem man!!
Good luck!
Let me know how it turns out!
Old 11-16-2013, 07:08 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ER12883 View Post
I guys, I'm cleaning up my rear axle, and in the continuum spirit of "while I'm at it..." What should I tackle while I have easy access? I'm replacing oil seals and gaskets, and cleaning and painting the housing and diff exterior, and I'm planning to redo the rear drums too.

Without knowing the history, I'm working under the assumption that everything is original (and therefore 47 yrs old), what else should I go ahead and replace? Should I need new bearings? What is serviceable (by me) in the diff that might need a look at?

Thanks in advance!
If it where me I would just replace everything. Wheel bearings pull the pumpkin apart and take the ring and pinons out make sure you keep the shims in the correct place as you take it apart to give you a good starting place when putting it together. The idea is while you are there and have it out in front of you it is easy to get to things and replace them. I have a 68 and will be exactly this in the spring.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarv5 View Post
If it where me I would just replace everything. Wheel bearings pull the pumpkin apart and take the ring and pinons out make sure you keep the shims in the correct place as you take it apart to give you a good starting place when putting it together. The idea is while you are there and have it out in front of you it is easy to get to things and replace them. I have a 68 and will be exactly this in the spring.
Bearings yes - I'd be concerned with digging too far into the pumpkin and not getting it back together and adjusted correctly. Is there an easyish way to tell if it needs service. There are no obvious issues (at least with my novice eye), but how can I tell if anything is worn beyond service?

This is the problem with my "while I'm at it" mentality. This all started with a leaf spring replacement - I'm going to end up restoring the whole car before I know it.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, I've been doing some research and it seems like my gears are actually in pretty good shape, and there isn't any play where there shouldn't be. So I'm going to check the backlash, and check the contact pattern. If things look nominal, I'm going to call it good and move on.

There is no way the axle bearings are original. They feel like new bearings and have no slop in them, I'm guessing they were replaced at some point, so I'm calling those good too.

So barring anything really surprising/confusing, I think the next step is my rear drum rebuild. Thanks!
Old 11-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER12883 View Post
Okay, I've been doing some research and it seems like my gears are actually in pretty good shape, and there isn't any play where there shouldn't be. So I'm going to check the backlash, and check the contact pattern. If things look nominal, I'm going to call it good and move on. There is no way the axle bearings are original. They feel like new bearings and have no slop in them, I'm guessing they were replaced at some point, so I'm calling those good too. So barring anything really surprising/confusing, I think the next step is my rear drum rebuild. Thanks!
Rebuild rear drums or swap to disc brakes :p
Old 11-17-2013, 12:45 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I thought about disks. I think that's in Phase II. For now I don't want to get too much further down the rabbit hole with this leaf spring replacement
Old 11-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You should paint the backing plates for the drums while your at it the drums are pretty easy I'm sure theres videos on you tube
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:14 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yep, YouTube (and forums like this) are my savior! I've done tons of disk brakes before, but this will be my first drum adventure. I'll be painting the backing plates at the same time I do the diff. And a might as well continue right on to the floorboards while the paint is out.

So lots of wire wheeling is in my future and I'm taking your advice on a full face shield, but I'm pretty excited for the end result!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs