66 mustang ignition problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
66 mustang ignition problem

So getting my 66 stang back up and running after it has sat for about 10 years. Started by getting old gas out, putting new gas in, putting coolant in radiator, and a new battery. Went to try and turn the car over to see if it would start and my key wont start the mustang actually. It wont do anything. I cant get it to move to ACC or on position. Not really sure what to do at this point. The ignition switch was never a problem when I drove it before, so wondering if anybody has any tips. Thinking Im going to have to replace the tumbler and ignition switch, but not sure how I can get it out since I cant even get the key into the acc position. Any help would be much appreciated! Cheers!
Benzopyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
On cars with locked up cylinders in the past ive taken a pair of vise grips towards the end of the key at a 90deg angle. Heat up the tapered section of the key with a lighter or pencil torch. Once key is warmed up a bit stick it back into the cylinder quickly and shake/turn the key at the same time. Somehow this "generally" always works for me.
87LX306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Worked like a charm. The heat expansion seemed to break it right up, and combined with the little bit of liquid wrench I shop in there earlier got it to move. Hell even got the car to start up! Thanks a ton!
Benzopyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzopyrene View Post
Worked like a charm. The heat expansion seemed to break it right up, and combined with the little bit of liquid wrench I shop in there earlier got it to move. Hell even got the car to start up! Thanks a ton!
Yup, glad I could help.
87LX306 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs