Gas tank drain plug - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-08-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Gas tank drain plug

So, I am attempting to remove the drain plug from my gas tank, and it's not budging. It looks to be frozen in there pretty good. I've soaked it down with liquid wrench, and have put some serious elbow grease into it.

It's a 3/8" square head, otherwise I would have considered an impact on it. Not sure if they make square impact sockets, an not sure using one on a gas tank is a good idea. And I'm not going to think about heating it up...because...gasoline.

Any other tricks I might try? I've thought of cooling it with dry ice or a dust spray can upside down, but then I'd be concerned with snapping it. I might just call is a loss, siphon out the old gas and call it good until I replace the tank (it's not in great shape anyway), but I thought I'd ask first.

Thanks!
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I just thought, since it's 3/8" male on the plug, I might be able to use the female end of a socket. Then I could get much more leverage than with just a 3/8 wrench...
Old 12-08-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
If you have a 1/2" to 3/8" socket adapter it will work. Turn your air pressure down so you don't strip it out and try to ease it out. Decide first how important it is to drain. If it gets messed up you'll probably be buying a tank.
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Try some pb blaster that stuff will break anything loose.should be able to find it at any parts store
Liebert91stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Sorry, it's male on the plug? How about a 12 point socket?
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I've got a new tank and needed to drain it. The drain plug didn't want to budge. It felt like it wS going to start twisting. It was easier to just use a 5 gallon gas can and a funnel. Unhooked the hose and let the hose and sending tube drain into the funnel and can. Obviously drive it down as low as possible first.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, it's 3/8 male on the plug. Replacing the tank is on the long term to-do list, but I was going to put it off for a while. The gas in there was already a bit stale when I bought it this summer, but siphoning is going to be way easier and less riskier.

There isn't much left in there now - I removed the gas hard line (I'm replacing it) and let it drain from there, about a half gallon came out.

The more I think it over, the more I'm thinking getting the plug off isn't terribly important. If it does get messed up, I'll have a mess on my hands and less $$ I could have spent elsewhere in the short term to get it driving (like brakes).

I just need to decide how important a new take is to me in the short term...
Old 12-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

It seems like every time I have a specific question, it winds up being something overly simple or becoming a moot point. Thanks though!
Old 12-14-2013, 06:54 PM   #9

Region: Kansas
From experience I tell you not to mess with it. It doesn't come out. And if it does it will not go back in correctly and you will have to get a new tank
Geoff_lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 11:47 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff_lundy View Post
From experience I tell you not to mess with it. It doesn't come out. And if it does it will not go back in correctly and you will have to get a new tank

Yep, with as much torque as I was putting on that plug, I was getting concerned. Better to just siphon it out than to screw something up especially when it will be replaced in the future.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs