what radiator to choose - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-16-2013, 09:48 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
what radiator to choose

Well I just got my 66 mustang 289 3 speed back up and running. all fluids changed yada yada, and it seems to be running well, but if I run it for too long I start to get some dripping from from the radiator. I think I am going to need a new one as it looks pretty corroded in parts. Anyway, my question for you guys is what radiator should I go with. 2 row, 3 row, 4 row, standard ford part, or aluminum replacement. What I want to do with this car is to put either a 302 or 351w in it at some point in the next 5 years, so a radiator/fan setup that would work with both would be ideal. What do I need to think about when buying this? Anybody have any recommendations? Any and all help is very much appreciated. I am reading a lot, and trying to figure this stuff out as I go, but there will be lots of questions! I live in Houston and am close to Johns Mustang, so Ive considered buying what they got, but thought Id see if there were better other alternatives. Thanks guys! Cheers!
Benzopyrene is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Definitely get at least a 3 row, a 2 row is a waste of money. It might a good idea to change the heater core if your radiator is corroded. The heater core will be too.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I did a lot of reading yesterday on this. I ended up deciding to go with a 2 row aluminum radiator with 1 inch tubes. It was very affordable. My understanding is that the larger tubes are what make more of a difference in cooling as they allow for more surface area. This should be a good replacement to get me back on the road and then I will need to upgrade whenever I decide to build an engine. Now I need to decide whether or not to get an electric fan, or stick with the stock cooling fan for now. Guess we shall see. Cheers all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2013, 11:30 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
If you stay with the stock fan, a shroud is a must, esp if you have cooling issues.
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

MIne has a shroud already, its not huge but like 1.5-2 inch. Hoping it works. We shall see.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Check out the various anti-freeze additives. I'm using Wetter Water in my car. I noticed a difference after putting it in. I'm using a "Northern" aluminum radiator with a spacer to get the fan closer but no shroud. I was drag racing my 66 this summer "deep in the heat of Texas" with no overheating issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2154265346.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	557.6 KB
ID:	142012  
DaddyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

this may be a silly question. But if I get rid of the stock fan and put in an electric fan do you gain in anything from not having that rotational mass there? HP? Maybe I dont know what Im talking about but just something I was thinking about earlier. Cheers!
Old 12-17-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzopyrene View Post
this may be a silly question. But if I get rid of the stock fan and put in an electric fan do you gain in anything from not having that rotational mass there? HP? Maybe I dont know what Im talking about but just something I was thinking about earlier. Cheers!

Since your engine no longer has to spin the fan, yes it does reduce the parasitic drag on the engine.
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs