Questions about 1967 fastback restoration - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-18-2013, 03:58 PM   #1

Region: New Jersey
Questions about 1967 fastback restoration

I was thinking about whether or not to purchase a '67 fastback in need of a restoration. The story goes that the car was lost to a flood. It has no damage and a limited amount of visual rust. The only questions I have are what would need to be done to electrical systems, engine components, and transmission? Would I be able to get away with just taking apart the engine, cleaning an lubing it, and seeing if it would turn over? And would the transmission have sustained any damage from the water? It's a fully complete car and it is a very satisfying price. I just need to know if restoring a flood car is worth it, thanks.
Dylanfaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
if you are looking at restoring it , flood doesn't matter, you would be rebuilding engine and trans anyway, as far as electrical a 45 year old car has probally had wiring hacked into many times so a complete rewire would also be needed regardless. so if car is complete and in decent physical shape go for it.
2stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
+1. Check EVERYWHERE for rust problems. Limited surface rust doesn't mean very problematic hidden rust.
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2013, 04:40 PM   #4

That's a good point. I guess a better question is would a flooded engine/ trans need more work than one that's been sitting for 30+ years?
Old 12-18-2013, 07:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Maybe. Is it running at all? It could be frozen with rust. Personally, I would ask seller if it's ok to turn it over by hand before trying to fire it. At least then you know it isn't rusted solid.

If you're set on the car, but you need a new driveline, you can actually get a running ford with a 302 for pretty cheap. I saw a running beat up 90s F150 for about 1500 on craigslist. Just a thought. It would be a lot of work, but you could build the motor, and sell the body for scrap if you've got the space to work on it.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:53 PM   #6

No it's not running. I'm definitely going to ask the seller if i could try to turn it over. If not, I might pass because I don't think I want to go with the f150 idea. It's a good idea, just not how I want to approach it. Thanks for the help
Old 12-18-2013, 09:46 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

The f150 was just an example. Don't know what your budget looks like but you can get a new crate motor and have a mechanic install it. Won't be cheap though.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:57 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Don't give up to quickly. Water may have only entered the interior and necessarily into the engine. It might be rebuildable. Structural rust is your biggest enemy in old cars. If it only has some surface rust, it's probably worth it. Wiring harness and engine/tranny are the easier issues. Get it real cheap and you could score.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 02:45 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
You can also find cheap motors with low miles on them to drop in too. If it really only is surface rust and the price is right i would love to have a fastback they just look meaner than a coupe haha
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Where is it and how much is he asking for it?
go501green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2013, 08:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by go501green View Post
Where is it and how much is he asking for it?
ha ha , I wanted to ask , but afraid I would not be able to resist the urge to snag it
2stang is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs