Horn keeps screwing up - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Aggiesrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,883
Horn keeps screwing up

67, 289, manual steering, got the car in 2012. Original steering wheel was already replaced and not working. I replaced the steering wheel with a Lecarra last year and replaced the signal plate/wiring harness and both horns. Everything was great, then after about 7 or 8 months. The the horn started to activate as you turned the steering wheel. I took it apart and realized that the copper plate on the back the steering wheel was scored off center. I called Lecarra and without asking any questions, they sent me a new copper back plate. I added a bearing to the steering wheel shaft and keep it centered. Then installed the new plate with some dilithium grease and a new signal plate/wiring harness again. Now it's activating when turning the wheel again. Took it apart and it's destroyed one of the copper posts on the signal plate that activates the horn and there are copper filing inside everywhere. I'll call Lecarra tomorrow again, but anyone have these problems? Is there a better hub setup?
__________________
chevy runs deep, Don't step in chevy!

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-23-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyoung68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: concord
Region: California
Posts: 3,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
67, 289, manual steering, got the car in 2012. Original steering wheel was already replaced and not working. I replaced the steering wheel with a Lecarra last year and replaced the signal plate/wiring harness and both horns. Everything was great, then after about 7 or 8 months. The the horn started to activate as you turned the steering wheel. I took it apart and realized that the copper plate on the back the steering wheel was scored off center. I called Lecarra and without asking any questions, they sent me a new copper back plate. I added a bearing to the steering wheel shaft and keep it centered. Then installed the new plate with some dilithium grease and a new signal plate/wiring harness again. Now it's activating when turning the wheel again. Took it apart and it's destroyed one of the copper posts on the signal plate that activates the horn and there are copper filing inside everywhere. I'll call Lecarra tomorrow again, but anyone have these problems? Is there a better hub setup?

I had the same problem withy grand my problem was the actually steering wheel was flexing causing the plates to contact each other
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Aggiesrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,883
What did you do, new column?
__________________
chevy runs deep, Don't step in chevy!

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-23-2014, 11:42 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyoung68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: concord
Region: California
Posts: 3,475
Disconnected it... Haha its on my todo list i was going to try to find some longer bolts so there is more of gap so if the wheel flexes a little it wont make contact
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Aggiesrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,883
I feel like I'm missing something inside the column.
__________________
chevy runs deep, Don't step in chevy!

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 11:53 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyoung68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: concord
Region: California
Posts: 3,475
What do you mean?
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:13 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Aggiesrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,883
Like it's missing a centering bracket or another bearing. It's just weird that it ate that horn pin off the wiring plate.
__________________
chevy runs deep, Don't step in chevy!

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 12:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Aggiesrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoung68 View Post

I had the same problem withy grand my problem was the actually steering wheel was flexing causing the plates to contact each other
I think you're on to something. It's so hard to turn the wheel when not moving or moving less than 10 mph. I believe that when you are muscling the steering to turn it, it's moving the steering shaft out of center and trashing the horn contact plate.

So now first question, is manual steering supposed to be that hard or is the steering box necessary?

If the steering difficulty is normal then, can I beef up the steering shaft or do I need to buy a new steering column?
__________________
chevy runs deep, Don't step in chevy!

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyoung68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: concord
Region: California
Posts: 3,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
I think you're on to something. It's so hard to turn the wheel when not moving or moving less than 10 mph. I believe that when you are muscling the steering to turn it, it's moving the steering shaft out of center and trashing the horn contact plate.

So now first question, is manual steering supposed to be that hard or is the steering box necessary?

If the steering difficulty is normal then, can I beef up the steering shaft or do I need to buy a new steering column?

I have a new box and its still difficult to turn and as far as new steering shaft i have no idea on that one
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:39 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Aggiesrok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Bryan
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoung68 View Post

I have a new box and its still difficult to turn and as far as new steering shaft i have no idea on that one
I'm going to check the oil level in the steering box. It shouldn't be so hard to turn that it moves the shaft off center an it shouldn't flex the column that much. I think I've got several issues. I'd replace the column, but I don want a modified GM column.
__________________
chevy runs deep, Don't step in chevy!

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Screwing around with the Stang!! Fudge Mustang Audio & Video 12 08-29-2013 11:39 AM
Dixie horn for my stang shsfresh87 General Mustang Discussion 13 01-07-2012 11:29 PM
Where is my horn located? Ruthless General Mustang Discussion 2 10-05-2011 09:33 AM
Horn or Light flash on locking car, here is how to disable SpectorV General Mustang Discussion 0 07-26-2011 11:30 AM
HORN PROBLEM GoldenPonyBoy 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 2 07-22-2011 12:06 PM

» Members Mustangs

007Stang

prm

Tonka

Borii
Add your Mustang
» Like Us On Facebook



11:15 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.