Originally Posted by Tyoung68
So I'm looking more in depth into the swap as I'm planing in it soon. I have crunched some numbers and decided that it'll be easier just to get a crate motor. Is that true? only thing i couldn't do would be machining, other wise i can do all the work.
I decided upon this engine.
or this one
Now time to my questions
1. will I be able to make more power from the 351? or should I just get the 302 or should I get something else? I'm not looking for anything crazy powerful but enough to get a lil *** happy around corners and off the line
2. Where would i be able to get a bell housing for my c4?
3. Or should i change my transmission?
4 Headers? whats the best brand/flow/fitment
5. Intake and carb? I have no idea about these... I know it can make or brake an engine. So what would be the best combo?
6. Ignition system?
7. Motor mounts?
8. Will my drive shaft fit?
9. What rad should i get? TBH my car isn't going to be driving everyday and itll prob be in traffic more than on the freeway so should i get electric fans?
I think those are my main questions ill be able to figure the rest out. I just don't know much about the specif specs that is needed for the blocks. I asked summit what year parts i would need for the 302 and they said 87+ but not sure about the 351. What would be a realistic swap budget i was thinking around 4500? Thanks for all the help!!!
1. 351 has potential for more HP, but it's a little heavier. But you make a lot of power in a 302.
2. You should be able to get an adapter if necessary
3. If you've got the funds, a 4 speed would be a great upgrade for performance and to go to higher rear gears.
4. It'll depend on which block and which heads.
5. Intake and carb should be mostly dictated by the cam and the max safe rpm's. Consult Edelbrock after deciding on a block. They can help match components.
6. Match with Distrubtor and carb and cam. MSD is good
7. should be able to match for either. Just have replace the frame portion of the mount possibly
8. Not sure, but I would think so as long as the tranny location is the same.
9. Aluminum is best and electric fans free up HP, but not cheap
Based on your desires stated, I would think a 302 would be sufficient and components are a little cheaper in some cases. Some components are interchangeable.