V8 swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-09-2014, 01:01 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
V8 swap

So I'm looking more in depth into the swap as I'm planing in it soon. I have crunched some numbers and decided that it'll be easier just to get a crate motor. Is that true? only thing i couldn't do would be machining, other wise i can do all the work.

I decided upon this engine.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-hp79/overview/
or this one
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hp...view/make/ford

Now time to my questions

1. will I be able to make more power from the 351? or should I just get the 302 or should I get something else? I'm not looking for anything crazy powerful but enough to get a lil *** happy around corners and off the line

2. Where would i be able to get a bell housing for my c4?

3. Or should i change my transmission?

4 Headers? whats the best brand/flow/fitment

5. Intake and carb? I have no idea about these... I know it can make or brake an engine. So what would be the best combo?

6. Ignition system?

7. Motor mounts?

8. Will my drive shaft fit?

9. What rad should i get? TBH my car isn't going to be driving everyday and itll prob be in traffic more than on the freeway so should i get electric fans?

I think those are my main questions ill be able to figure the rest out. I just don't know much about the specif specs that is needed for the blocks. I asked summit what year parts i would need for the 302 and they said 87+ but not sure about the 351. What would be a realistic swap budget i was thinking around 4500? Thanks for all the help!!!
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I just put a 87 block with gt40p heads in my 68 and there are only one brand of headers that will fit in a 68 with gt40p heads because if the angle of the spark plugs. So if the crate motor you get has those heads let me know and I can let you know the headers you will need
Bpolley11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The drive shaft should fit if you keep the same transmission.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-09-2014, 01:11 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I got the edelbrock performer intake with a Quickfuel carburetor. The Quickfuel carburetor isn't very popular yet but it's made by a few guys that worked at holley and couldn't get holley to change some of the things that would improve it so they designed one like a holley but fixed all the problems holley had. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1397067108.037662.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	821.0 KB
ID:	153391
Old 04-09-2014, 11:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoung68 View Post
So I'm looking more in depth into the swap as I'm planing in it soon. I have crunched some numbers and decided that it'll be easier just to get a crate motor. Is that true? only thing i couldn't do would be machining, other wise i can do all the work.

I decided upon this engine.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-hp79/overview/
or this one
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hp...view/make/ford

Now time to my questions

1. will I be able to make more power from the 351? or should I just get the 302 or should I get something else? I'm not looking for anything crazy powerful but enough to get a lil *** happy around corners and off the line

2. Where would i be able to get a bell housing for my c4?

3. Or should i change my transmission?

4 Headers? whats the best brand/flow/fitment

5. Intake and carb? I have no idea about these... I know it can make or brake an engine. So what would be the best combo?

6. Ignition system?

7. Motor mounts?

8. Will my drive shaft fit?

9. What rad should i get? TBH my car isn't going to be driving everyday and itll prob be in traffic more than on the freeway so should i get electric fans?

I think those are my main questions ill be able to figure the rest out. I just don't know much about the specif specs that is needed for the blocks. I asked summit what year parts i would need for the 302 and they said 87+ but not sure about the 351. What would be a realistic swap budget i was thinking around 4500? Thanks for all the help!!!
1. 351 has potential for more HP, but it's a little heavier. But you make a lot of power in a 302.

2. You should be able to get an adapter if necessary

3. If you've got the funds, a 4 speed would be a great upgrade for performance and to go to higher rear gears.

4. It'll depend on which block and which heads.

5. Intake and carb should be mostly dictated by the cam and the max safe rpm's. Consult Edelbrock after deciding on a block. They can help match components.

6. Match with Distrubtor and carb and cam. MSD is good

7. should be able to match for either. Just have replace the frame portion of the mount possibly

8. Not sure, but I would think so as long as the tranny location is the same.

9. Aluminum is best and electric fans free up HP, but not cheap

Based on your desires stated, I would think a 302 would be sufficient and components are a little cheaper in some cases. Some components are interchangeable.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:39 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Hmmm well i still have a while to think the problem with the 302 is that everyone has one, not that its a bad motor or anything i just want something different
Old 04-12-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well after some more digging i think iv decided to go for paint instead. My car runs and drives with the 6 but it doesn't look so hot. And for the money i think it'll be a better investment at this time.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Bummer, I was looking forward to watching the swap...but paint is good too!
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Its still going to happen! Just postponed

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs