67' 289 Runs for a few minutes then dies - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-03-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
67' 289 Runs for a few minutes then dies

Well, like the title days my 67' with a built 289 will run pretty well for 2 to 5 minutes or so and just die. Almost like the key was turned off and then it will not re start until a seemingly random time later on. After it kills itself it doesn't even fire but will turn over continuously. Any ideas? I'm thinking some type of electrical wire getting hot but I have no idea. I really appreciate any help I get.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2014, 05:21 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Did you already have a thread going for this? I can't remember.

Does it run perfectly before dying or does it start to stumble for a bit? First thing I would check is if your choke plate is opening up as it warms up. Next I would look into vapor lock - see how close your fuel lines are to your exhaust/block/anything hot.
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 05:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It's either not getting spark or fuel. When this happens you need to determine which it is.
This car still has the points and condenser ignition correct?
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2014, 05:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by straybullitt View Post
It's either not getting spark or fuel. When this happens you need to determine which it is.

This car still has the points and condenser ignition correct?

Or air...a choke plate that doesn't open would cause it to run fine at start up, then kill it as it warms up.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

When starter fluid is sprayed into the carb it still doesn't start. Not even fire. Turns over just fine still

Old 05-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER12883 View Post
Did you already have a thread going for this? I can't remember.

Does it run perfectly before dying or does it start to stumble for a bit? First thing I would check is if your choke plate is opening up as it warms up. Next I would look into vapor lock - see how close your fuel lines are to your exhaust/block/anything hot.
It just dies as if you shut off the key. No stumble at all. There is gasoline in the filter next to the carb. The lines to not go near the exhaust

I might have had one. I didn't think I did specific to this issue.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
It just dies as if you shut off the key. No stumble at all. There is gasoline in the filter next to the carb. The lines to not go near the exhaust

I might have had one. I didn't think I did specific to this issue.

So probably not vapor lock...are you able to look at the choke just to eliminate that option? Do you know if you have a choke in the carb? I would guess it would stumble and run super rich before dying, but it's an easy thing to look at.

How long before it will start back up?
Old 05-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

No spark

I can't remember, does your car still have the points type distributor or is it electronic?
Old 05-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Verify you're points are still properly gapped after it dies- the heat of the motor may be slightly changing your gap and pushing them too far apart

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

Quote:
No spark

I can't remember, does your car still have the points type distributor or is it electronic?

Me and you are never far behind one another haha
SpeedMob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So probably not vapor lock...are you able to look at the choke just to eliminate that option? Do you know if you have a choke in the carb? I would guess it would stumble and run super rich before dying, but it's an easy thing to look at.

How long before it will start back up?
The choke Is wide open. It is really random. Like right now, 24 hours later it still won't start.

---------- Post added at 06:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:32 PM ----------

Quote:
No spark

It is points type

---------- Post added at 06:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:33 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedMob View Post
Verify you're points are still properly gapped after it dies- the heat of the motor may be slightly changing your gap and pushing them too far apart

---------- Post added at 12:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:21 AM ----------

Me and you are never far behind one another haha
That's a very good question, I have been giving that thought and been messing with it but I don't know how to properly gap it I guess. I have been adjusting it lately though

Old 05-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Very frustrating.

Old 05-03-2014, 07:40 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The gap on the points needs to be set correctly for the engine to run.
See if you can find a YouTube video on how to set the points.
Old 05-03-2014, 07:43 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Will do. Thanks!

Old 05-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Have you changed the points and condenser or inspected the points to be sure that they are still in good condition?
Old 05-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I have, they look pretty good. They originally were not working but that issue was fixed. I can't find anytbing setting points while it's not able to run. I'll keep checking

---------- Post added at 06:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

The points and condenser have not been changed but they look good

Old 05-03-2014, 08:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Ok.
Do you have a dwell meter or are you using a feeler guage?
Old 05-03-2014, 08:53 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok.
Do you have a dwell meter or are you using a feeler guage?
Well... I will admit I have neither of those but I would be able to borrow them. I have been just kind of using an educated guess to adjust them and them turning it over.

I should also add that I found my ground wire is getting warm. Could this be my issue? I wasn't able to figure out where exactly it was connected to. Appeared to be the motor mount. Probably need to pull it off and clean the area really well and stick it back on. Or add another maybe. Had to the that with my MG.

I've been reading about the petronix ignition systems and they are looking pretty attractive at this time. I just have no idea which one to go with. I haven't checked voltage yet and the car has a pretty large cam in it.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well... I will admit I have neither of those but I would be able to borrow them. I have been just kind of using an educated guess to adjust them and them turning it over.

I should also add that I found my ground wire is getting warm. Could this be my issue? I wasn't able to figure out where exactly it was connected to. Appeared to be the motor mount. Probably need to pull it off and clean the area really well and stick it back on. Or add another maybe. Had to the that with my MG.

I've been reading about the petronix ignition systems and they are looking pretty attractive at this time. I just have no idea which one to go with. I haven't checked voltage yet and the car has a pretty large cam in it.

I just got the electric ignition from them for my 6 it deff mad a difference. Setting the points with a feeler gauge is pretty easy and straight forward.
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 11:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I think that's what I need to do is buy it which one did you get? I don't know if i should get I, II or III. Definitely will be getting a coil with it for sure.

What is a "feeler gauge"? Guessing? Lol

Old 05-03-2014, 11:56 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think that's what I need to do is buy it which one did you get? I don't know if i should get I, II or III. Definitely will be getting a coil with it for sure.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:16 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Feeler guages are thin strips of metal that come in sets of different but very precise thicknesses. They are used to measure gap sizes usually. A spark plug gap tool is a "feeler guage", for instance.
A dwell meter measures the amount of time that the points stay closed.
You need one of the two to adjust the points properly.
I think electronic ignition is the way to go. And replacing the coil along with it is an excellent idea.
Here's an old school method for adjusting the points WITHOUT either a feeler gauge or dwell meter though. Almost everyone can find a book of matches in their car, right? Well the thickness of a match book cover is about the same as the points gap on most old cars. If someone with a screwdriver, a book of matches, and some know-how, ever was stranded because of malfunctioning points, they could get them adjusted close enough to get back home.
Yes, take care of the ground wire.

So the intake looks good so far? No leaks?
You're chipping away at it Josh... You'll get there!
Old 05-04-2014, 02:57 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What is a "feeler gauge"? Guessing? Lol

Im pretty sure it was the 2 but im not sure i can check tomorrow. And no haha its a tool that has a bunch of little fins that are different thicknesses. So to set the gap on your points you would turn the engine by hand till the points are as far open as they'll go and then stick whatever size it calls for. For my six it was .035 and then just loosen one of the screws that holds down the points and adjust it till you feel a little drag on the feeler gauge and then just tighten it down and boom points are set haha well at least that was how i did mine and it ran fine
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Feeler guages are thin strips of metal that come in sets of different but very precise thicknesses. They are used to measure gap sizes usually. A spark plug gap tool is a "feeler guage", for instance.
A dwell meter measures the amount of time that the points stay closed.
You need one of the two to adjust the points properly.
I think electronic ignition is the way to go. And replacing the coil along with it is an excellent idea.
Here's an old school method for adjusting the points WITHOUT either a feeler gauge or dwell meter though. Almost everyone can find a book of matches in their car, right? Well the thickness of a match book cover is about the same as the points gap on most old cars. If someone with a screwdriver, a book of matches, and some know-how, ever was stranded because of malfunctioning points, they could get them adjusted close enough to get back home.
Yes, take care of the ground wire.

So the intake looks good so far? No leaks?
You're chipping away at it Josh... You'll get there!
Interesting, I'll look into getting one. If I decide to try and stick with points (I doubt I will). I think the electronic ignition comes with a feeler gauge. I might try that match book trick too though while I'm at it.

I'll clean off the grounding point and if that doesn't work I'll make another. No leaks at all for the time it was running. Bone dry which makes me feel a little accomplished. Thanks to everyone help I am slowly getting it done. Piece by piece. Hoping to have her driving my July. That's my goal anyway.

Old 05-04-2014, 02:17 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Interesting, I'll look into getting one. If I decide to try and stick with points (I doubt I will). I think the electronic ignition comes with a feeler gauge. I might try that match book trick too though while I'm at it.

I'll clean off the grounding point and if that doesn't work I'll make another. No leaks at all for the time it was running. Bone dry which makes me feel a little accomplished. Thanks to everyone help I am slowly getting it done. Piece by piece. Hoping to have her driving my July. That's my goal anyway.

The beauty of an electronic ignition is that there is nothing to adjust. It does away with all of the adjusting points nonsense...
It's good to get a little taste of how it used to be, tune ups every 20k miles, burned up points from leaving the key on to listen to the radio, messing around with carburetors... You know... THE GOOD OLD DAYS!
Old 05-04-2014, 07:14 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

My main concern is what problems are there with running the Flamethrower II system instead of the I? I don't feel confident about messing with transistor wire.

Old 05-04-2014, 08:35 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

And how do I know if I have thermactor or not? I don't think I have a smog pump at all. Honestly not sure.

Old 05-04-2014, 11:19 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I think I'm going to go ahead and order the Pertronix II, the coil that works with it and the Power Relay Kit so I don't have to do as much electrical work. I am not great when it comes to electrical and hopefully the relay will allow me to supply a full 12V to the Pertronix unit. And hopefully I'm not throwing away my money because I don't understand how to supply the necessary voltage. It says it's specific for 2001 mustangs.... which I find hard to believe. It seems to be just a generic relay with a brand name slapped on it.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:33 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I'd give a call to summit or somebody, tell them your issue and what you're thinking of getting and see what they suggest.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:59 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I'd give a call to summit or somebody, tell them your issue and what you're thinking of getting and see what they suggest.
+1
They have tech support. You don't want to get something that's looking for a signal from a computer in order to function. You might consider calling one of the classic mustang suppliers for tech support. They are usually better suited for answering questions on old cars. They will be able get you the right part for replacing your old points setup and install tips.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:39 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I've had pretty good luck talking w CJ Pony Parts tech support online too.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:54 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Okay, I will give CJ a call and see what they suggest. Thanks again guys! I'll let you know what i end up doing.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Well, contacted CJ with their "talk live" window or whatever it is and waited for a response. The only thing he said was he reccommend the Ignitor 3 because it will give more power (don't think is very true) and better mileage (not really a worry). So I asked some follow up questions about the difficulty of instalation between the II and III and never got an answer. I then asked about how the relay would work and all I got was "it makes wiring simple and easy"..... yeah... i already read that below the product description. Not very happy with them. I will either call them or summit.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well, contacted CJ with their "talk live" window or whatever it is and waited for a response. The only thing he said was he reccommend the Ignitor 3 because it will give more power (don't think is very true) and better mileage (not really a worry). So I asked some follow up questions about the difficulty of instalation between the II and III and never got an answer. I then asked about how the relay would work and all I got was "it makes wiring simple and easy"..... yeah... i already read that below the product description. Not very happy with them. I will either call them or summit.

Disappointing.
Try www.dallasmustang.com or www.mustangsunlimited.com

Also check the manufacturers website and call them, actually they should be the most help. Questions are free, call till you feel comfortable about a decision.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Old 05-05-2014, 11:08 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Yes it was very disappointing. I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a website malfunction instead of bad customer service. I found more info from pertronix site and aftwr watching a few videos I think I've settled with the newest unit. From what I understand the Ignitor III seems to work well with cars with large cams and when I go to manual it Wi be nice to have a rev limiter. So I think I will be purchasing the Ignitor III with the coil that it goes with and the power relay kit to make the full 12V. Now I just really really hope I will be able to wire it. Haha

Old 05-05-2014, 11:25 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes it was very disappointing. I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a website malfunction instead of bad customer service. I found more info from pertronix site and aftwr watching a few videos I think I've settled with the newest unit. From what I understand the Ignitor III seems to work well with cars with large cams and when I go to manual it Wi be nice to have a rev limiter. So I think I will be purchasing the Ignitor III with the coil that it goes with and the power relay kit to make the full 12V. Now I just really really hope I will be able to wire it. Haha

When you're unsure about anything electrical, two easy tips

1. Take your time, double check it all
2. Label every wire before disconnecting.

You're chipping away at it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs