Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Trouble cooling 351W in 66 stang

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  eubanks.kevin7 
#1 ·
Any suggestions for the right radiator to cool this off? I've changed everything but the radiator so far. Want something I won't ever have to worry about.

#7 ·
I've heard that it is possible to have too large of a rad, and the pump isn't able to move the water through the rad fast enough to create turbulence. So the water that's cool stays to the outside and the warm water doesn't touch the rad a lot so it doesn't dissipate it's heat. Like a large slow river - near the banks the water is pretty much still. In a small fast river the banks are turbulent.

Maybe a high flow water pump? Or a smaller pulley on the water pump maybe so it spins faster?

#9 ·
If its overheating after a rebuild, check the head gaskets, the big water passage openings in the gasket should go to the back of the engine. I have seen those gaskets installed backwards before and he never could get it to stop overheating until he corrected his little issue there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.