Mustang Evolution Forum banner

looking at a 66 Mustang...

1K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  ER12883 
#1 ·
found a 1966 Mustang for sale about 4 hours away from me... 289, all original except for paint... black leather interior in good shape... owner claims that it runs and drives great. no A/C or power steering, but he has the power steering to install which would come with the car. the exterior, interior, and engine bay looks excellent from what i can see in the pics...it has been in/around Atlanta, TX all of its life and he knows the guy who owned it before him. of course i still want to drive out there and see it before buying. he is asking $10k for it. i'm waiting for more pictures and exact mileage on the vehicle, but i wanted your opinions on the price.. does this seem like a good price so far? trying to get some pics to upload from my phone...

#3 ·
Are you looking to keep it or sell it down the line. If the former, what matters is what it's worth to you. If the latter, it's worth what someone will pay for it - just something to consider.

In general, there are a ton of coupes out there. Another thing to consider: Are you looking for originality? That will shape your questions and what to look for.

Just my opinion: 10k might be reasonable for a coupe, but I would expect it to be in excellent condition (no rust, structural issues, etc), and exactly what you're looking for (whatever that may be). In other words require very little if any work to make it what you want. There are so many out there that supply and demand says that if it's not what you're looking for, there is one out there that is. Again, just my opinion.

Good luck and let us know!

#4 ·
your input is greatly appreciated. down to the color, this car is what i would want. so much of this car is exactly what i like. as far as selling it down the road, i highly doubt it. i'm more concerned with asking the bank to finance more than what the car is worth, which is showing clean retail around 12k up to 28k private party in excellent condition.... i may still try to haggle him down a bit.. why not...

#5 ·
More pics

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Attachments

#6 ·
At first glance she looks pretty clean. Personally I'd ask to look underneath, in the trunk, wheel wells, behind the dash/cowl area, etc with a flashlight to check on the usual rust issues.

And for your own peace of mind, I'd suggest doing a country-wide eBay search just to see what the "buy it now" prices are on similar ones (granted prices vary by location, but it helps you get a feel for the current market). It might frame your thinking differently. When I was considering buying my 67, that actually helped seal the deal for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.