New coule - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #1

Region: California
New coule

Hi folks, new to the forum. Just purchased a 1966 coupe and i couldn't be more excited. When i was 15 my mom had a 66 coupe and she sold it before i was able to enjoy it. Ever since i promised myself i would have another. My wife and i are recent empty nesters and the newest child is a San Jose built beauty. I hope to get to know everyone and absorb your wealth of knowledge and experience.
Royo484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Congrats and Welcome! We would enjoy seeing any and all pictures you would like to share!
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Welcome! I too have a san jose built pony
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2014, 05:55 PM   #4

Thanks for the welcome. As i look at the mustang i want to tear it apart and rebuild the entire car all at once. That being impractical I'm left to wonder what would be the practical place to start. Any recommendations?
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1410562483.474861.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	793.6 KB
ID:	165853
Old 09-12-2014, 07:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

When you say rebuild, what all are you thinking? Rotisserie restoration? Paint and body work? Interior? Driveline, engine? Just cosmetics?

And what's your plan? Stock rebuild? Modify / restomod? Something else?

It really depends on how far you want to take it, and in what direction, but generally, I'd say start from the inside out - get it functioning, driving well and stopping well, then focus on cosmetics.
Old 09-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #6

Well, my interest is keeping it stock with some performance improvements. My thoughts were in line with your recommendations. Ensuring mechanical operation and safety, like brakes. The interior is in great shape but will indeed need replacement. One rear window doesn't work and the rear bumper is slightly dented. So fixing all the imperfections and mechanical failures is a good start. Id sure like to add AC but don't know yet how that would impact the value of keeping it stock. Thoughts?
Old 09-12-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

So my car isn't anywhere close to stock, so I'm not the best resource on that question. But what I have seen for coupes is the best resale value comes from either bone stock restorations or tasteful restomods. But with restomods, it all depends on if what you have matches what the buyer wants, so resale is a gamble, and it's more expensive to do well.

Anything that can be changed back shouldn't really hurt value if you keep original parts. Not sure what is involved in AC addition, but I can't see it hurting value down the line. And things like front disk and dual brakes are great safety upgrades that will probably add value.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Unless its a. Concours restoration or a high dollar restoration i don't think modded or stock really makes a difference value wise theres a lot of mods that can greatly increase the drivability of the car and if you really are worried about keeping it stock then just keep your old parts and swap then if you ever decide to sell it. I was planing on keeping my stock too till I upgraded my brakes then i said well then i mine as well do this and then it just snowballed haha. And *** far as were to start i always thought you can drive a car with ripped seats or a ding up body but you cant drive it without brakes or if keeps stalling. So i always recommend starting there and then after that its just your preference on what you want to look better next.
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoung68 View Post
you can drive a car with ripped seats or a ding up body but you cant drive it without brakes or if keeps stalling.

This.

Not much good if it doesn't go and stop, so that's you're starting point right there!
Old 09-12-2014, 09:36 PM   #10

Ain't that the truth . What impressed me about the car we chose to buy was how well it functioned mechanically. Engine idle, acceleration, braking, steering. Oil looked clean, coolant looked fresh. Other then the creeks and squeaks you would expect from an almost 50 year old car i was very impressed. But i agree and appreciate you're input. A good thorough inspection of everything would be a good way to start.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:55 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Welcome and congrats on the new car!
jasondanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs