How and where to buy a classic mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
How and where to buy a classic mustang

I am currently a college student and a proud owner of a 2008 GT. When I graduate college in a few years, I will definitely be getting another mustang. However, if at all possible, I think I would like to get a 60s or early 70s stang instead of a brand new one.

But I really don't know how difficult of a task this will be to do. How hard are they to find? I would want it to be fully restored. I am really knew to the muscle car hobby, but I want to lean everything I can. It is my dream to own a classic mustang one day.

So, can you guys tell me if this is an achievable dream?

Thanks!
meantang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Gooooooooooooogle is your friend....So is Craigslist..So is Ebay....! ☺️ Car's come and go all the time my dude. If you have your eyes set on something specifically look for a good deal. You have 2 years so take your time until you find something that will be rare in 30-50 years that nobody will have'
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Are you planning on buying one already restored?
Or unrestored and paying someone to restore it?
Either way figure out which year you want, learn the typical rust locations and pitfalls. As mentioned the internet is an awesome source. Then go to some classic mustang shows and start asking questions. Take advantage of the two years.

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2014, 12:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
As previously said you really need to be specific in what you want. Do you want a precision restore? low miles? number matching? The quality of the car as well as overall condition will affect price drastically (as it you could potentially spend 3-4k on it or up to 50+ k.

You can find people who did budget restores who took older base model mustangs and maybe put a V8 and some other GT parts on it for a decent price (5-10k) and they dont hold value because it isn't numbers matching, low miles, etc.

My biggest piece of advice is when your ready to buy decide what you want and wait until you find it. When your talking about a car 40-50 years old it will take a while to find the right one, avoid buying a POS as you will regret it down the line.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:50 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the information, everyone. I have plenty of time to form a plan on exactly what to get. As of right now, I just know I want a 60s or early 70s stang. I love all of them during these years.

Also, it will have to be fully restored or at least very close to it because I do not know how to do any real car work other than car washes and oil changes. Lol.

I would guess that my budget will probably be between 10-25k. The other option will be to buy a new v6. But if it all possible, I would rather get 60s-early 70s.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Are you keeping the 08, or will this become your primary car? If it's to become you primary transportation, I would opt for a newer car because even fully restored classics can be touchy. If it's not your DD, then go for the classic!

All good advice here. I was looking for my FB for a few years before I found one in the right condition - nice enough to be in one piece and drive around, but enough issues that I could afford it
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER12883 View Post
Are you keeping the 08, or will this become your primary car? If it's to become you primary transportation, I would opt for a newer car because even fully restored classics can be touchy. If it's not your DD, then go for the classic!

All good advice here. I was looking for my FB for a few years before I found one in the right condition - nice enough to be in one piece and drive around, but enough issues that I could afford it
If I can afford to, (basically if my parents help me get my next car) then I will likely keep my 08 for the daily and get the classic for fun. But if I have to completely pay for it myself, (I doubt this but you never know) then I will sell the 08 to help pay for the new stang.
Old 09-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

If you're looking for fully restored, then stick with a coupe, FB's will more than 25k fully restored. If you like the 71-73 body style, those will most likely be the best deal money wise. Make sure the title is clean and good, bill of sale only and salvage titles can be a real challenge to get corrected. No title no plates.

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:32 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Where do you live/ how far are you willing to go to get a car, I'll be looking to sell my car next summer. It's a 68 coupe with a full restoration. If you're interested let me know
BA68 mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA68 mustang View Post
Where do you live/ how far are you willing to go to get a car, I'll be looking to sell my car next summer. It's a 68 coupe with a full restoration. If you're interested let me know
Thanks! Next year is earlier than I planned. But let me know if you still need a buyer when you're ready to sell. I live in SC.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I live in central jersey, I'll probly make a thread when I'm looking to sell it this spring/ Summer
Old 09-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Cool!

If you don't mind my asking, why are you going to sell it?
Old 09-17-2014, 01:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I have 23500 in it and I can't take a loss, If I can't get that I'll just hold in to it
Old 09-19-2014, 08:35 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have 23500 in it and I can't take a loss, If I can't get that I'll just hold in to it
Cool, man. Are you getting a different stang to replace it?
Old 09-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I want a 2011-2014 gt next, but that's only if I can get a good price in my car. I'm looking for something quick. Don't get me wrong, my 68 is a blast but I'm into road racing and older mustangs aren't exactly canyon carvers with stock steering and an automatic
Old 09-20-2014, 03:14 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
How and where to buy a classic mustang

Quote:
I want a 2011-2014 gt next, but that's only if I can get a good price in my car. I'm looking for something quick. Don't get me wrong, my 68 is a blast but I'm into road racing and older mustangs aren't exactly canyon carvers with stock steering and an automatic

Do the shelby drop, lower it and bigger sway bars front and rear. I can take 90* corners at like 25
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 03:41 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

The thing sticks pretty damn well it's just the loose steering, I've rebuilt: replaced everything in the system but it's just not as responsive as what I would like. I have a 1" front and 3/4" rear bar as well as 600 lb front springs and the front is dropped 2". The rear sits on 4.5 leafs. I have absolutely no body roll, it always surprises how well it sticks, I take the 90* turn onto my road at 40 and there's no drama just a hint of under steer on turn in and it's a little assy on exit but I don't have adjustable bars and it's not that bad, I just drive through it
Old 09-20-2014, 03:43 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

The shelby drop helps with that a lot
Old 09-20-2014, 03:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I'd love to get it on track and get tire temps to dial in the alignment but I have to be 21 to run with the pca.
Old 09-20-2014, 08:51 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'd love to get it on track and get tire temps to dial in the alignment but I have to be 21 to run with the pca.

Yeah as soon as i get a v8 ill be at the track all the time
Old 09-20-2014, 08:53 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
How much do y'all think a Mustang with the 428 Cobra Jet Engine would be? I saw a red 69 Mach 1 with the Super Cobra jet engine for 33K on ebay today.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:56 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
How much do y'all think a Mustang with the 428 Cobra Jet Engine would be? I saw a red 69 Mach 1 with the Super Cobra jet engine for 33K on ebay today.

Depends on the condition of the paint and miles
Old 09-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoung68 View Post
Depends on the condition of the paint and miles
Paint looked good, 50K miles.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
Old 09-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Oh, and it was a 428 super cobra jet engine. Functional hood scoop.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs