Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1969 dash lights aren't working

9K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Lieser26 
#1 ·
Alright guys so this is a problem I've been trying to figure out for a while but I'm sure it's very simple for you guys... All the lights for my 1969 grande work except the dash and clock lights. It's the weirdest thing I know it isn't the bulbs so it has to be a wiring problem i just can't seem to find the wire. Anyone had the same problem or anyone have any advice? It's not a huge deal I just can't see my speed when I'm driving at night. Thanks a ton, guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#3 ·
I just need to find where the wire is. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to wiring and the schematics are like Chinese to me. I'm following wires from the ground wire trying to find the slightest problem but I guess it isn't that easy ?

#4 ·
might be as simple as one bulb out it has been a long time since I have worked on something like this but someplace in the back of my weak mind I remember the dash lights are wired like Christmas lights one goes out the rest go as well. Check each one by it self and see what you can find

#6 ·
The fuse block on the 68's are labeled and as far as one bulb being out that's a very real possibility. Wiring can be very tough but if you can find the patience and not your i's and cross your t's you'll figure it out. Just try to stay relaxed.... Much easier said than done tho hahahahahaha

---------- Post added at 08:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:35 PM ----------

The fuse block on the 68's are labeled and as far as one bulb being out that's a very real possibility. Wiring can be very tough but if you can find the patience and not your i's and cross your t's you'll figure it out. Just try to stay relaxed.... Much easier said than done tho Hahahahahaha

#7 ·
Invest in a power probe, they're priceless when trying diagnose electrical in these old cars.

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.

#9 ·
Just another passing thought (sort of like passing) do you have a multimeter? If so pop out a bulb and see if you have power at the socket? I would check the first one in the chain should be closest to fuse panel. I would also unplug the connector coming to it and check power there. Follow it back to the switch if not power. The lighting and wiring in these cars is really pretty simple to follow

#10 ·
It could be the rheostat in your headlight switch. It's what dims the dash lights. Try turning the dimmer back and forth to see if they flicker. Those switches go bad over time.

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.

#11 ·
I've been wiggling the dimmer for months now I've gone underneath to check the wiring but still can't figure out what to fix. I'm going to go into the dash panel today to replace the lights since that's the best thing I can think to do at this point.

#12 ·
I've been wiggling the dimmer for months now I've gone underneath to check the wiring but still can't figure out what to fix. I'm going to go into the dash panel today to replace the lights since that's the best thing I can think to do at this point.

Sorry to revive this old post but did u ever find the problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.