Headers or v8 conversion - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-12-2014, 12:11 PM   #1

Headers or v8 conversion

Right now I am deciding between getting headers for my inline 6 or getting the conversion kit for either a 289 or 302. I want more power but I would prefer torque over horsepower and I heard headers will help with that. How hard would it be to put a v8 in and how hard would it be to take it out and put the 6 in if I was going to sell it original? If I was to do headers how much more torque will I get, will it be a big difference? How much will the conversion for a v8 be? How much would the headers cost and what brand do you suggest for more torque? The reason I want torque is because I heard straight 6's have low end torque. Thanks so much
66strate6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
When people say that 6 cylinder engines have "lots of torque", they are generally referring to the larger truck engines. The 200 cubic inch six cylinder has at least 100ftlbs LESS torque than a 289 V8.
Headers won't even get you close.
If you want to keep the car original, then I would just leave the 6 cylinder in it and put a header and a glasspack muffler and enjoy the car as it is. There is a lot more to swapping a V8 into a six cylinder car than meets the eye and if you take the time to do it correctly, you sure as hell aren't going to want to "undo it" when you sell it.
As far as a price comparison goes, you're looking at several hundred to do the exhaust system on your 6 cylinder and the cost of a V8 swap is going to be a few thousand dollars, at least.
Id look into a Doug Thorley header, if they're available, for your engine. Their designs are known for their low end torque.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Keep in mind that a V8 has stronger spindles, suspension and other differences to handle the weight and power difference. The engine change is not just dropping in a different engine. Also it's actually possible that selling your car with a properly done v8 upgrade will bring more money.
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

You have to account for the transmission radiator drive shaft and rear end. Along with the up graded suspension and brakes so will be able to stop in a reasonable distance. As far as the header I have one on my six with 2.5ss dual exhaust with flowmasters along with electronic ignition and a shift kit in my c4 and a 8in rear end my car can beat people off the line but thats about it haha so unless you have a decent chunk of change for your swap id say do some things to your six and start the upgrades for the v8 swap like rear end and disk brakes to start

Killing time isnt murder, it's suicide
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #5

If it's matching numbers keep the v6. Get it bored and put in dome pistons. Get a bigger cam. Put on a triple Duce carburetor. That should give you a hell of a lot more horsepower and torque. Here is the website for the triple Duce. http://m.summitracing.com/parts/ofy-5970

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
eubanks.kevin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #6

If it's matching numbers keep the v6. Get it bored and put in dome pistons. Get a bigger cam. Put on a triple Duce carburetor. That should give you a hell of a lot more horsepower and torque. Here is the website for the triple Duce. http://m.summitracing.com/parts/ofy-5970

Old 10-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Its a l6 not v6 sorry just a little pet peeve of mine haha

Old 10-13-2014, 09:57 PM   #8

Good point.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

And depending on the intake style that i take may or may not work. If its the log type then you're pretty much stuck with one carb. If you have the removable intake then you can also look at straight six performance? I think thats the name they have all sorts of goodies for the l6 like cams headers intakes and heads if you want to go crazy.

Old 10-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoung68 View Post
And depending on the intake style that i take may or may not work. If its the log type then you're pretty much stuck with one carb. If you have the removable intake then you can also look at straight six performance? I think thats the name they have all sorts of goodies for the l6 like cams headers intakes and heads if you want to go crazy.

I'm still hoping you decide to turbo yours someday - I want to see that!
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 10:04 PM   #11

I thought all 1966 i6 mustangs had a detachable intake

Old 10-13-2014, 10:09 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eubanks.kevin7 View Post
I thought all 1966 i6 mustangs had a detachable intake

Im not sure about that tbh but that doesn't mean that some one hasn't swapped the head on it or the whole engine!

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER12883 View Post
I'm still hoping you decide to turbo yours someday - I want to see that!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs