Straight pipe legal? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-12-2014, 12:14 PM   #1

Straight pipe legal?

I currently have the stock exhaust on my 1966 inline 6 mustang but it is too quiet. I want it to be louder and more throaty. I plan on getting a flowmaster at some point but for now can I straight pipe it? I want to know if it's illegal or not. Thanks
66strate6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strate6 View Post
I currently have the stock exhaust on my 1966 inline 6 mustang but it is too quiet. I want it to be louder and more throaty. I plan on getting a flowmaster at some point but for now can I straight pipe it? I want to know if it's illegal or not. Thanks

Try it and see. I have been running a straight pipe behind the cat on my '97 318 Dakota for years and never had a problem. Granted, I still have the cat to quiet it down some.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:17 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Montana
Send a message via Yahoo to Jmustang78
Straight pipe legal?

The legality of ur issue depends on ur local laws... But also keep in mind ur car is a classic and most if not all of the emission laws do not apply to ur vehicle. How ever with that said if u live in an area where there are emission laws what ever came stock on the car has to be kept on the car, ie mufflers. But a good Borola or series 50 Flow master gives good sound . If u don't have to worry about emissions in your area do what ever u wish. With that motor how ever a good header and 2.5" exhaust tubing will help with the HP & torque.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Jmustang78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2014, 04:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66strate6 View Post
Depends on the state you live in and the noise rules. Most states have a 95DB limit on the noise an exhaust can put out. With that said a straight pipe on a inline six would sound like crap in my opinion. Just hold off until you figure out what you want to do. There is no use tossing money away for the short term. Save up enough to do the jobs you want to get done in the order they need to be done in.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 07:15 AM   #5

Depending on the state, you can go down to your local DMV and ask or google it. In my state (FL) the law was brought out in '75 so I technically could make my '65 as loud as I wanted with cut outs or nada and they couldn't say anything. States are different tho so make sure you ask.

When in doubt, throttle out!
19.Stang.65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:56 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Ive been driving my 1999 mustang GT with, Literally, open exhaust manifolds for the past week. No exhaust muffling of any sort. I even got pulled over for not having my headlights on and the cop didn't say **** about the exhaust.

It is way too god damn cold out for me to work on my exhaust right now and I don't really give a hoot if I set off some car alarms on main street. its only temporary and I don't go WOT
Panther140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
19Stang65- I think you might be thinking of emission laws. They are different from noise laws. Found this for FL " (c) For motor-driven cycles and any other motor vehicle not included in paragraph (a) or paragraph (b):
Sound level limit
Speed limit
35 mph or lessSpeed limit
over 35 mph
Before January 1, 197976 dB A82 dB A
On or after
January 1, 197972 dB A79 dB A"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:09 PM   #8
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
That came out bad: here's the link. http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/.../0316.293.html

matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 12:31 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
See what your state laws are on exhaust loudness. For example, I live in KY and laws here are, it can't be louder than factory set up. It really isn't enforced very much considering over 80% of the cars have loud exhaust. Have a personal friend who's a policeman and we've discussed this topic often. I put cut outs on my 65 impala and at one stop light I had them open. a policeman pulled up right beside me all he did was give me a thumbs up. You won't have to worry about getting pulled over unless you are hot rodding, or the cop is an *******.

Proud owner of:
1965 Chevrolet Impala SS pure original 327 300hp,360ftlbs Muncie 21 4spd, 12 bolt rear, mist blue white interior, 17in cragar thrust wheels, super 44 flow master mufflers. status: 98% restored

2008 Roush 427R #528 All stock except Roush billet grille, Roush CAI 460hp, 425ftlbs, 5spd vista blue white graphics black leather with blue inserts, stock Roush wheels and exhaust. Status: waiting for many many upgrades

70 Dodge Challenger T/A 340 Six Pack 290hp factory rated (bull****) 4spd hemi Orange black interior rallye wheels, T/A exhaust. status: restoration in progress

75 MGB convertible 1.8L 90hp, of pure evil, 4spd Mars red (VW color) black top black interior wire wheels. Status: restored and for sale

Hunting for a black 03 terminator 10th anniversary coupe
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 03:18 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcox83 View Post
19Stang65- I think you might be thinking of emission laws. They are different from noise laws. Found this for FL " (c) For motor-driven cycles and any other motor vehicle not included in paragraph (a) or paragraph (b):
Sound level limit
Speed limit
35 mph or lessSpeed limit
over 35 mph
Before January 1, 197976 dB A82 dB A
On or after
January 1, 197972 dB A79 dB A"

Nah it's a noise ordinate for FL, went into the DMV and asked about it. In FL as long as the car was made before 1975 you can run it how ever you like and it isn't breaking the noise law. Already checked and tested it

When in doubt, throttle out!
19.Stang.65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs