V8 swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-29-2014, 02:07 PM   #1
V8 swap

I've been deciding whether or not to do a v8 swap or not and I decided I want to so before I buy a motor (I'm thinking about a 302) I want to know what I will need to upgrade or replace. Such as the radiator( I have a 3 core so will thr be enough?) and getting new axles, suspension, motor mounts etc. if you could tell me what's necessary vs what is helpful thanks

66strate6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Texas
It's a whole lot of stuff. Suspension is a biggie. There are several companies that offer weld in modern suspension options. You have to beef up a lot of the car.
Best bet is to go YouTube and other internet sources and check out the info on swaps.
Search on here, several members have done some research on the subject.

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.

chevy runs deep, Don't step in chevy!
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:15 AM   #3
Region: Arizona
I swaped in a 94 302 with the t5 into my 66. You will need to do the rear end, tranny, along with the motor if your coming over from a 6 cylinder. I opted for a mustang 2 suspension which cost a ton but worth it. Motor mounts will work for any small block ford. If I had to do.it over again I would go fox body years transmission and bell housing for the universal transmission cross member to fit. (The 94's are a little longer so I had to fab one.) Look into getting a car where you can pull everything out of to do the swap if you need a tranny and rear end.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
elkhunterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:33 AM   #4
Registered Member
Region: California
If you haven't already swapped swapped brakes and rear end start there then move to suspension then get the v8 of you want a save reliable car and a donor car is the best idea where you can see how all it needs to be to work properly and then part the rest out or call a junk yard to regain some lost money. Thats my plan next. I dont know where you live and your smog laws but you in my area of California its pre 1975 is smogged exempt so any 76-late 90's cars are a dime a dozen

Killing time isnt murder, it's suicide
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs