Need advice on a possible purchase - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-15-2014, 09:02 AM   #1
Region: Michigan
Need advice on a possible purchase

I have been looking for a cheap summer cruiser for me and my fiance for quite some time now, and I find myself only trolling craigslist for Mustangs anymore. I have come across some deals, but there is one that I have been coming back to quite a few times. My dad used to do body work on cars when he was younger and I have been wanting to learn from him for quite some time, but just never had the money to invest in something that requires a complete restoration. What I have found though is a 1976 Mustang II Ghia. I do not know that much about these cars so I do not think I can make an educated assesment on the potential value of the car. The car looks to be in decent shape (hope the attached photos actually show up). I am not worried about doing the pain job with my dad, but the guy does say it needs a new radiator and then be able to drive. Body has 68,000 miles on it and a fresh rebuilt 302 ci engine. He is asking $1,500 for the car. I am just not sure what to think about it though. I dont see many of this car, which brings into question wether it is even really sought after. There is other info I would need to get from the guy before I decide on anything, but based on what I do have now is it a good investment? What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ghia1.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	171919   Click image for larger version

Name:	ghia2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	171920  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ghia3.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	171921   Click image for larger version

Name:	ghia4.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	171922  

Andrew121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Florida
Whenever Im around anyone who knows classic cars, and i mention the Mustang II, they usually say ew, gross, or ugliest mistake by ford. I would buy it for its notoriety of being such an ugly, swept under the rug Mustang. Also, as you stated, know one else has em. you dont see em around. As far as engine reliability, i have no idea.

EDIT: just realized you said rebuilt 302. so that makes it even better maybe. I'll be watching this thread, id like to see how it goes.

2002 GT 5sp. 16x,xxx miles
Steeda Exhaust, C&L plenum, BBK Throttle Body, Steeda Underdrive, Steeda short throw, unknown stage clutch. Rear main leak. Compressor seal leak. Steeda lower control arms. good tires.
fenixignition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Commercial Member
I don't think you can think of it as an investment. Do you like it and can you picture how you want it to look? Don't worry about people who don't like Mustang II. I have a 1966 coupe but kept the 6 cylinder to be different. You should have an idea from you're research if $1500 is a good price in your area for a 38 year old car.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: California
Id say its a good car for 1500 if all it really needs is a new radiator. But as stated above don't buy it for the money and if you can stand the looks get it. Also idk where you live but in cali its pre 1975 and no smog is required. Might want look up your local laws

Killing time isnt murder, it's suicide
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Region: Ohio
From my sky high view it looks good. I don't see any rust in the engine compartment or down the sides. What I will tell you to do is stand back about 15 feet and look down the sides change your angle and keep looking for signs of crappy body work and paint. If the body is straight and the engine runs then $1500 is not a bad deal. The radiator is pretty simple to change even by yourself. The car will run for a few minutes with out water flow just watch the temp gauge. Put it in drive and move forward put it in reverse and move back ward let it idle then shut it down and cool off. If you like the looks of the car who cares what other people think.
1968 Coupe <53000 miles on her 289 came off the line Jan 21st 1968. I bought it in 1983

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 02:19 PM   #6
Talked to the guy a little bit more and found out that the body isn't the original body for the car. He bought another one and put the body on a different frame. Bad move for him because the frame is all rusted out. I wouldn't drive this car to the corner. Plus the trunk bed was pretty much non existent. Waste of my time. Thanks for all your input though. Hopefully I will find myself an affordable project for this summer.
Andrew121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 10:20 PM   #7
Registered Member
Region: Texas
Mustang II's are about the least desired of early mustangs. Some people love them, but most don't.
If you're looking for a deal on an early mustang, look for a 71-73. You can finds deals on those a lot of times.

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.
chevy runs deep, Don't step in chevy!
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Region: Tennessee
I personally hate a Mustang II, and Bronco II, they are cheap for a reason nobody wants them.

Mustang wanted for here...
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs