Pentronix igniter II - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Pentronix igniter II

Has anyone installed a pentronix Ignitor II and a flamethrower II coil and what is your opinion on them. I want to get rid of the points and condenser for easier starting thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
PapaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2015, 04:37 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I have then on my car. The electronic ignition part is good but the coil crapped out only like 8 months in
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Depends on your budget...I had a petronixs setup before. I decided you grade to MSD 6AL and a billet distributor with a mechanical advance, much better. More $$$ bit worth it for sure and you have a rev limiter on the box.

BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I am not sure if I need the mad I have a 68 coupe with a 289 the top end is done and I have a mild cam in it that the previous owner put in. The car has 69 k on it and runs and drives good. I started restoring while we are driving it. I don't want a show car just a good driver to take out on cruse nights and take the kids grand kids out for ice cream. I have started with all the safety stuff put all new brakes wheel cylinders new hard ware and lines. This year I am putting in rear seat belts and I want to put electronic ignition in it. Also headers and pipes. The car starts ok but I want to get rid of the points and condenser. I am not worried about cost and I did look at the mad but do I need that much performance for what I am running in the car I guess is msd overkill and will the igniter II do what I need keeping in mind I do want the most reliable solution and I don't race the car just have fun with it. Thanks

Old 02-27-2015, 10:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I've used a Pertronix with a stock coil in my dad's first gen Camaro. Took a little work to get the spacing right between the magnet and pickup inside the distributor, but otherwise works like a charm.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't really say that my decision was based on performance, it was on dependability.The fact that time and time again I start with a simple idea, spend money and then realize I should've gone with something more expensive and of better quality. Do it once and sleep at night....that's my lesson learned.

Old 03-01-2015, 06:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks that is really what I am looking for all we want to do is drive the car and have fun. So reliability is what we are looking for. I don't mind spending the money if that is what is going to work best for me And I do appreciate you reply and honesty thanks

Old 03-01-2015, 07:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

No prob buddy, good luck.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:54 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs