66 Rims help needed (due to brake change) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-20-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
Region: Ohio
Question 66 Rims help needed (due to brake change)

posted this in Wheels & Tires also - but thought you Classic guys could help me too:

Ok, This is my dad's 1966 Mustang Coupe which he bought new in 1966. Almost nothing has been done to it over the years - we had it repainted a few years ago, but mechanically it is pretty much stock. Due to that, the steering & brakes are about shot. My husband - who is a mechanic - has talked dad into improving both the steering & brakes because dad is getting older & because our son will be 16 soon and dad says he's going to let the kid drive it (oy)!

This is what has happened so far...

From Jegs we got Wilwood brakes (Wilwood 140-11071-DR, Wilwood Dynalite Front Hub Kits | Wilwood). The information reads: "Kit, Pro-street, Front, Mustang, 65-66, HD Forged Hub, 11.00, Vented, Drilled, Red" My husband got them on fine. We tried to put the original stock, steel rims back on -- because in a couple of calls with Jegs before we ordered, they said they would. However, there is no room for the caliper in the original rims -- It hits the center of the rim.

We talked to Jegs more, etc, etc, and finally decided to just upgrade the rims as well.

We found Blue Oval Ranch website (1965 - 1967 Mustang Styled Steel Chrome Wheels - Blue Oval Ranch Inc.) and on the 1965-1967 Mustang Styled Steel Chrome Wheels page read: " The original wheels were 14X5. The most common upgrade is a 15X7. They fit perfect on any 1965-67 Mustang." We couldn't order them from Blue Oval Ranch, but they told me they were Scott Drake wheels, so we went to Summit (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SDK-C5ZZ-1007-C) and ordered: "Wheel, Mustang, Steel, Chrome, 15in x 7.0 in, 5 x 4.50 in Bolt Circle, 4.625 in backspace". We mounted BF Goodrich P225/60R15 on them because the website also said "Tire size that fits well on '65-'66 Mustangs is up to you, but a P225/60/15 BFG, fits very nice."

HOWEVER, when we put them on the car, the tire hits the front & top of the fender. There is no way we could drive the car with these on it.

HELP! What do we need to do to find rims/tires that will fit over these brakes and won't destroy the fender? My dad would like to keep it as stock looking as possible, but was ok with the Scott Drakes we bought.

(We have returned these rims & tires, so -- other than the brakes -- we are back to square one.)

Thank you in advance for any help you guys can provide. We are tearing our hair out trying to figure this out & we really want to get this done so my dad can drive his car this spring!
Cogleye is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs