Boost inline 6 or swap for a 302? 82-GL - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-07-2015, 04:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Boost inline 6 or swap for a 302? 82-GL

I have the 82 inline 6 3.3 notch. Should I boost this motor or swap everything from motor to tranny to rear end ? Motor has 62,000 miles and only thing wrong is the carb besides that it runs strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BDMmotors12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2015, 04:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Just my thought's I would go with a complete swap if you can find a donor car! you should be able to pick up a late model wrecked 5.0 or 4.6 for a good price! Just depends on how much money you want to throw at it! I am guessing around $300 for a new carb, around 4K for complete swap (if you do the work yourself)
Jbone007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 10:49 AM   #3
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
First I'll say that unless you've worked on 6 cylinders before and have a fair amount of $$$$$ to spend then I'd say go for it. If you haven't worked on 6's and don't have the $$$$$, go with the V8.
The biggest weak point on your 200ci is the head. In a 6 the one thing that is going to wake up the motor is an aftermarket head, and they are around $2k...................and it just gets more expensive after that. The one saving grace is that your motor has 7 main bearings although the crank is nothing to write home about being cast iron along with the rods and pistons. The most important thing about a boosted motor is piston seal, and with the motor you have I doubt it would handle must boost and would need to be rebuilt with stronger pistons anyway.......unless you just want to start buying up all of the 200ci motors you can lay your hands on and when one breaks you replace it with another one.
Kind of like me taking an 85hp Ford Flathead, spending over $10k on the motor alone just to make 315hp..........unless it's a labor of love and you have that kind of money to spend just get a V8. Along with V8 swap you will spend some time retrofitting the chassis with brakes, better suspension and a different trans and rear end.
To take your 85HP motor and make 300hp is going to cost you a lot more money than looking for 302 or better yet a 4.6lSOHC or DOHC motor and shoehorning it into you Mustang.
Personally I'd get an 85 or newer Mustang that already has a V8 and go from their...........................one last parting word, Cubic Inches make cubic HP............and torque. Although a six has some good bottom end grunt, the HP just isn't going to be there.
How a bought swapping a 300 cubic inch Ford six into your Mustang? Now that motor can be boosted with not a lot of money and can product some real HP.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2015, 12:48 PM   #4
Registered Member

Regular

Here is an interesting article about building a boosted 300 cubic inch Ford six.

1971 Ford Maverick - Budget 10-Second Turbocharged Maverick Coupe - Car Craft Magazine
Old 04-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for your advice. I'm already buying a 89 5.0 and swapping everything from that into my car. I've been working as a mechanic for a little over a year and this is gonna be my first official project and I wanna do it right. I'm not looking to boost it so I can sell it im doing this as my hobby. Anyway someone told me there is some kind of book that tells you what parts can fit in what and what things could be interchangeable if that's the right word. Is true and if so where do I buy it. I already know what I'm doing with the mustang but it'll be handy to have

BDMmotors12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 09:38 PM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDMmotors12 View Post
Thanks for your advice. I'm already buying a 89 5.0 and swapping everything from that into my car. I've been working as a mechanic for a little over a year and this is gonna be my first official project and I wanna do it right. I'm not looking to boost it so I can sell it im doing this as my hobby. Anyway someone told me there is some kind of book that tells you what parts can fit in what and what things could be interchangeable if that's the right word. Is true and if so where do I buy it. I already know what I'm doing with the mustang but it'll be handy to have

These articles should get you started.
I know that a number of car magazines like Car Craft, Mustangs & Fast Fords and others have run articles about swapping from a 6 to a V8. Just start looking through the internet and you will find a lot of articles on doing this. One thing you should do is find a donor car that has 5 lug axles both front and rear and hopefully disc brakes in front and an 8.8 rearend. If you stick with fuel injection you will need all of the sensors and computer with all of the wiring. Ford does sell a harness that will have everything you need but it's expensive, and you have the ability to change it over to a carb instead of fuel injection.
One thing you may want to look at is putting a 351w in instead of a 302, remember, cubic inches make cubic HP and the 351w has a lot more torque than a 302 and you can even build a 351w to 408 cubic inches or even 427 cubic inches with not a lot of money. Just a thought.
Good Luck with you hobby, I've had mine for over 55 years.

Swapping A 5.0L EFI & T-5 Into A Classic Mustang - Mustang Evolution

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...1141050AATpkXA

V-8 Conversion for a Fox Body Mustang | FordMustangCar.com

Where can I find information on swapping a 6 cylinder for a Ford 302 into a 82 Mustang? - Ask.com YouTube Search

351 Engine Swap - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs