Ticking in #8 cylinder(1965 mustang) - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-10-2015, 10:43 PM   #1

Region: Pennsylvania
Ticking in #8 cylinder(1965 mustang)

Recently I noticed a ticking noise when the car was idling rough. By disconnecting the spark plug wire from the distributor cap, one at a time, I was able to isolate the noise down to Cylinder 8. In an effort to troubleshoot, I first swapped the spark plugs wires(#7 and #8). I then swapped the spark plugs #7 and #8. After both of these steps, the problem remained in cylinder #8.

So my question is what could be causing this? I have read a number of different posts suggesting anything from the plug wire going to ground, to exhaust leaks, to very bad internal issues. Of the possibilities, which ones can I rule out since the noise disappears when I disconnect spark plug wire for cylinder 8.

Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-thanks
Glenn
beanocook is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2015, 11:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I'd pull the valve cover and looked at the spring/rocket arm/push rod
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:38 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
That. You might also consider taking a length of vacuum hose and using it as a stethoscope to try to isolate where it's coming from. At least you could hear if it is from the valve cover or exhaust.
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2015, 06:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoung68 View Post
I'd pull the valve cover and looked at the spring/rocket arm/push rod
Thanks for the suggestion. I had already taken off the valve cover and looked at the spring/rocker arm/push rod. I didn't see anything obvious. Also, I figured that if the noise went away when I took away the spark, it couldn't be a loose rocker-arm, could it?

-thanks
Glenn
Old 04-11-2015, 08:55 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Could be cylinder 8 isn't getting gas and the tick your hearing from the spark from the plug but I wouldn't leave it disconnected bc then when you do get gas to it it will just pressurize instead of burn

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
oakleyxjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:50 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanocook View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I had already taken off the valve cover and looked at the spring/rocker arm/push rod. I didn't see anything obvious. Also, I figured that if the noise went away when I took away the spark, it couldn't be a loose rocker-arm, could it?

-thanks

Glenn

It sure could. The valve train runs mechanically from cam shaft -> lifters -> push rods -> rocker arms -> valves. Everything still moves as the engine turns, regardless of spark.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER12883 View Post
It sure could. The valve train runs mechanically from cam shaft -> lifters -> push rods -> rocker arms -> valves. Everything still moves as the engine turns, regardless of spark.
Yes, I realize that everything continues to keep running when there is no spark. My point was the ticking stops when i disconnect spark plug spark. Because it stops when pull the plug wire, that makes me think it isn't a loose rocker arm for instance. I was hoping the fact that it doesn't occur without spark, it would help narrow down what the problem is.

-thanks
Glenn
Old 04-11-2015, 11:09 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanocook View Post
Yes, I realize that everything continues to keep running when there is no spark. My point was the ticking stops when i disconnect spark plug spark. Because it stops when pull the plug wire, that makes me think it isn't a loose rocker arm for instance. I was hoping the fact that it doesn't occur without spark, it would help narrow down what the problem is.

-thanks

Glenn

Sorry, I misread. I think you're correct, if it stops without spark, I would expect it isn't the valve train.

I would guess the next easiest thing to rule out might be exhaust leak, but I'm not sure. A compression test would tell you if you have an internal cylinder issue.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:49 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
The reason the ticking stops when you remove the plug wire is due to the fact there is no force on the top of the piston from the cylinder firing.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dave73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
1965 mustang