Mustang Evolution Forum banner

66 thunderbird

24K views 339 replies 24 participants last post by  Tyoung68 
#1 ·
I can't really find a good forum for t birds and recently got one so I figure is start a thread on here sense it's just a mustangs fat older sister haha

Anyways like the title says it's a 66, it's got a 390 with an auto. Car was is In pretty good shape for the price.

The whole car pretty much needs a whole resto but has a lot of usable parts on it. No rot but some surface rust and needs a driver fender. And the engine needs new freeze plugs and a good cleaning

The interior is in pretty good shape just needs a head liner and carpet.

Body is straight just needs some work in the rocker panel and quarter other than that just a few little dings here and there.

It has power windows, locks brakes and steering and lots of other things

The car doesn't really need a whole lot just a lot of time.

As of now I've torn off all the engine accessories and hood/grill to get ready to pull the motor. And gave it a good washing. And cleaned it out. I'm in the car around 1200 including a new carb/rebuild kit towing a few other small items and the car itself. Hoping to get some help from you guys when I get stumped!

I don't have any pictures on my phone I'll post some in a bit from my laptop.

See less See more
#5 ·
I was just today (yesterday) wondering if you were going to give us an update on the T-bird.
I have some cool factory FE high performance parts that I'll post some pictures of as soon as I can get a chance to take some!

Awesome!
This will be a nice thread to follow along.
:)

#22 ·
You know this generation of T-Birds ('64, '65, '66) were the first Fords with sequential tail lights. Three years before the Cougars.

#13 ·
Wow, that looks pretty nice!

#16 ·
Well got the engine out tonight. Surprisingly easily, only broke one bolt on a exhaust clamp other than that it all came off with no heat/penetrating oil. Then I started to take apart two engine and that's where the fun started..... I let the pictures do the talking. And do every one a favor and change your oil people ? Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle Family car
Auto part Engine Vehicle
Rust Auto part Metal
Auto part Tire Automotive tire Engine
Engine Auto part
Rust Auto part Metal
Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle Carburetor
Auto part Engine Vehicle Automotive engine part Car

#19 ·
Cool car... You (or at least I don't) see very many of them.

390 is maybe my favorite motor, I had a 66 Galaxie for awhile with a 390 and Dad has had a couple of them in his 76 F150.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#27 · (Edited)
Lol.

That's what an original engine from the sixties is supposed to look like inside.

That is the result of a combination of using 165 degree thermostats and the oil formulation of the era.

How do the cylinders look Travis?

Well surprisingly my 6. Wasn't even close to this bad. Well maybe the coolant passages but the oil parts were pretty much spotless

And cylinders look good. No major scratches or surface rust. I looked at them with a borescope before I pulled the motor and they looked good. I would have left the engine in if it didn't need freeze plugs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.