Advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-27-2015, 08:28 AM   #1

Region: New Hampshire
Advice

Hey everyone!

My dream has always been to someday own a 1960's Mustang, manual transmission, mean looking, preferably a fastback as a Shelby GT 350 might be a little to much $$$ for me

Anyways my question are, where should i start looking ? If it was a restoration project what are good places with reasonable prices to purchase parts?
Any other advice is much appreciated.

I'm not looking to purchase right now , but i definitely want to gather more information and be more knowledgeable about this for when i do buy one.

Thanks in advance!

Nelson
nevesn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Join a club. There are always people willing to help and share knowledge. Found this one north of Manchester. Should be close to you? http://www.nhmustangclub.com/
Welcome to the forum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 10:58 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Just keep checking local craigslists or eBay. And don't buy one that is over priced and a rust bucket. Just wait for the right one to pop up for sale. As far as parts I've found cjponyparts to be the cheapest but not always helpful with customer service. But there are a lot of part suppliers. And when buying the car rusted floors/inner fender aprons aren't the end of the world if your doing a full restoration already just watch out for rust in the rockers, quarter panels, and cowl area all are a pita to replace and will get expensive if you can't do the work your self. It's also a good idea to do a quick vin check on the car before you walk away. You never know it could be a rare car that no one knows about. Good luck!!
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2015, 12:39 PM   #4

Thank you!
Old 07-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Yes. Be patient. I found that there are lots of pieces of junk that aren't worth their weight in scrap metal, and lots that were already restored and the owner wants $100k for them. Depending on how much of a project you want and your budget, it might be tough to find that sweet spot where it's both affordable and in good enough condition. When I first started looking, I learned that my budget wasn't high enough to get a FB in decent shape, so I saved my pennies for years before finding the right one.

Also once you find a good one, paying for a Marti report might be worth it if the owner hasn't already. I found out after purchasing it that my 67 is actually a GT. They probably could have asked for a bit more if they knew.
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #6
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
Marti report, will be a must when considering buying one. Until then research, research, research. I researched for 3 years before buying my first classic. The info is out there you just have to look for it.

Pick your poison.
Recon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 11:58 AM   #7

Thanks you for the advice! When the time comes i will definitely pay for a Marti report.
BTW your Mustang i gorgeous!
Old 07-28-2015, 02:10 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think a marti report is. Necessary, you can go onto many free vin decoding sites that will get the same information for free. Well at least in my case. I got a marti report and basically learned when my car was built and when it was suppose to be built. And what options it came with.

Here's my marti report Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1438110237.429461.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	188204
Old 07-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I guess they do give you a lot of info. I dunno I don't think I'd buy one till the car is mine. And just use the free websites to make sure I'm not getting ripped off or anything.

Here are one of the websites

http://www.mustangdecoder.com/decoder.html

And here's one where it just gives you all the info and you decode it

http://www.vintage-mustang.com/topic...de/decode.html
Old 07-28-2015, 06:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

^ All good advice!

And I second doing some internet research on any cars that you come across that may interest you.
It's a good idea to get a feel for the prices that a particular project car is typically selling for, and what that same car sells for in good condition. You may find that it is actually LESS expensive to find a nice example rather than a "project".
A restoration is a labor of love, but still, you don't want to get in over your head and be COMPLETELY upside down on the value of the car.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Advice

The age old question for sure. Not even sure I know where to begin. But this place is a good starting point. Like others have stated, research is key. Tyoung has a '68, ER has a '67, and I have a '70 and there are a few other threads on here where we have all documented our "discoveries".

First, get familiar with the model years and the body styles that you are interested in. There is quite a bit of difference between a '65 coupe and a '69 fastback, so make sure you figure out what you want and begin searching. Go to car shows, swap meets and start asking people how much they'd sell for. Use eBay/Craigslist as another option for pricing.

Then determine where you want to start. Do you want a full on restoration project? Or a running/driving car that needs a little TLC? Your longterm/shortterm resources and funds will play a part in this decision.

If and when you get this far, go see the car in person. This is where buying over eBay should be avoided at all costs. I'd never buy anything that I can't physically see/touch in person. I bought mine off CL, but I went and saw it first.

Areas of concerns (rust) for these cars are as follows:

Torque Boxes: look behind the front tires behind the fender apron.

Engine bay aprons: look beneath the battery if you can and at the base of the shock towers.

Frame rails and floors/trunk floor: get on the ground and get dirty, it's the only way you'll see.

Quarter panel and fenders: bring a magnet and test around the front and rear wheels and the doors/roof. Magnets like to stick to metal, not so much to body filler.....you get the idea.

Cowl: this is about the hardest place to check. Behind the engine bay/under the dash is the place to look. The cowl would get clogged with leaves, etc. and would retain water causing eventual rust issues.

There are so many ways to skin this cat, you just need to figure out what is best for your situation, resources and time. You can spend more money upfront for a nice car, or use your skills/knowledge to bring one back from the grave.

Sorry for the long post, hope it helps!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
fstbck70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:21 AM   #12

Not long at all! I like these posts! Alot of good information for a newbie!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs