'65 - Candidate 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-12-2015, 03:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Indiana
'65 - Candidate 2

While I was up looking at the other car I stopped off and say this one today. It looks very sold, floors are new, no rust to be found anywhere except some surface rust on the floor pans. The owner has two other cars, a 66 and 73 convertible. Everything is pretty much there that you don't see and another rear bumper is included. The exhaust is terrible and it runs a bit rough, though it has a lot more power than I ever gave a 2 bbl for having. I am worried about the driver's door being so off. The car has MULTIPLE electrical problems.

$4500 and will NOT go a penny lower. So far, this is my favorite one. Given my $7000 budget, I think the other $2500 will go a long way towards fixing it's flaws. It seems like a good base to build on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0297.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.51 MB
ID:	191039   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0298.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	191040  

Name:	IMG_0299.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.67 MB
ID:	191041   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0300.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	191042  

Name:	IMG_0305.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	191043   Click image for larger version

Name:	c0zFBpA.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	797.3 KB
ID:	191044  

Name:	4lmTEOh.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	749.2 KB
ID:	191045   Click image for larger version

Name:	0DIrL0Z.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	617.8 KB
ID:	191046  

Name:	YulBh3s.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	579.6 KB
ID:	191047  

kdryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: California
The lack of gender bolts on the driver side fender is a little concerning as well as it looks like it has some major water leaks. Is the rest of the interior parts there? They can ad up quick

Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Nebraska
'65 - Candidate 2

Pass. $4500? You serious Clark? No way that car is worth that. It looks like it has a serious leak in the trunk, look out for those trunk extensions and quarters.

Not worth the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
fstbck70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:36 PM   #4
Registered Member

Region: Massachusetts
And judging by your close-up of some of the trunk wiring, looks like someone did a real hatchet job on the electrical system...that would be a major concern for me too, in addition to what everyone else has brought up.
2013 Grabber Blue V6 Premium auto | MCA | Performance Package | BMR/Shelby Panhard Bar | Steeda Rear End Links | BMR Rear LCAs | JLT Oil Sep | FRPP Diff Cover | DSS Aluminum Shaft | Adaptive Shift Delete | Cervini Type 4 Ram Air Hood
Order: 10/13/12 | VIN: 10/19/12 | Sticker: 11/3/12 | Build: 11/30/12 | Mine: 12/22/12!

Restoration project back on the road: my dad's 1969 Camaro SS 350
tym_v6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:16 PM   #5
Registered Member
Commercial Member
Region: Michigan
I think you should get it! It's one of the rare 3 horn '65 models! Just kidding, but you have a better feel for prices in your area. There does seem to be water in the trunk but it looks like a lot. Did he try to wash it in there or is it a leak? None of what I see would scare me off. Obviously you won't get it painted for what you have left but I think you could have fun with it. Not sure what everybody else thinks you should be able to get for $4500.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
matcox83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:24 AM   #6
Registered Member
Region: Colorado
Again, what are your plans? It you're keeping it and having fun, this is a better option than #1. You're pretty much committing to electrical work with this one. Might be better off with a whole harness - who knows what else has been hacked into/cracked over 50 years. Of course all the rest of the underside and rust inspection mentioned on your other thread holds true, but 4500 for this seems more reasonable than 7k for the other. Plan on up to $1k for wiring if you do it yourself, and if you need to get tools and materials, etc. Plus door work/body work and paint eventually. But the good thing is you can still drive it and enjoy it with a primered door, and work on it over time. Still get a compression test or do one yourself so you don't find you have an engine issue down the road. Make sure you have a solid car to start with and the cosmetic stuff can be done over time.
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 03:28 AM   #7
Registered Member
Region: Colorado
Looking on a phone but that rust color on top of the gas tank gives me pause. Look more closely around the flange where the tank rests and down into the trunk drop offs on the sides. Gas tanks are cheap, but metal work on the surrounding area can suck. And getting underneath it to look around is imperative.
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:09 PM   #8
Registered Member

Region: Oregon
I've always broken down buying a car into three areas.......
#1 would be a car that needed no body work but needed mechanical work. This category would be a good 5 footer (being at 5' distance the car still looks good) This is personally the most comfortable to me as fixing an engine, transmission, rear end or suspension is ok.
#2 would be buying a car that was sound and all one color with minimal rust and fair mechanicals along with needed TLC on the interior.
#3 would be a partial restoration, paint and or replacement panels.
#4 would be a total restoration.

I live on the West Coast so it may be different on the other side of Rockies and prices of these Mustangs is all over the map. People are asking outrageous prices for what I consider a total restoration. This car is a #3 in my book and if I were looking at buying it I wouldn't pay any more than $2500 because you would probably spend more than $4500 fixing it up if $7k is your budget.
Having $7000 to spend and looking for a decent car is going to take some time and although I'm sure you want to find something sooner rather than later I'd keep looking.............even if it meant outside of your area. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this site and if you found one near someone I'm sure they would be more than happy to look at for you and transportation can always be arranged.........IMHO

1965 Mustang

1965 mustang

1965 mustang project

1965 Mustang Coupe

1965 ford Mustang v8

Or maybe look for a real nice 6 cylinder and convert it to a V8.

olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs