67 straight 6 engine swap to a 302 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
mhill77493's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Brookshire
Region: Texas
Posts: 6
67 straight 6 engine swap to a 302

Having the 302 built by Phoenix motors. Any suggestions of places to purchase quality and fair priced upgrades I'm gonna need

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
mhill77493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-01-2015, 01:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: .
Region: Michigan
Posts: 77
mod shops. There should be lots of mod shops around. For suspension go to a place that you know they are reliable, for exhaust any muffler shop will do the work.
weiyuhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
ER12883's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Colorado
Region: Colorado
Posts: 679
Are you staying with original V8 parts or taking liberties? Where you start looking depends on this. For more original parts, the usuals like CJPP, NPT, Mustangs Unlimited, etc can be good, especially if what you need lines up with sales.
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-01-2015, 02:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyoung68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: concord
Region: California
Posts: 3,475
Are your 4 or 5 lug? 4 won't last long with a built with 302.

If so used 8 or 9ins are not rare and can be found locally pretty much at any junk yard or part out. Brake upgrades are a must and can be found at any mustang parts site or summit or jegs also a good idea to upgrade to power brakes at this time.
Also you'll need v8 suspension parts or else your front end will sit way low.


I have a straight six in my car and job swapped everything needed for a v8 now.

What I went with was,

8in out of a 67
Wilwood 4 piston calipers
Power booster and dual master cylinder from national pats depo (then swapped to a wilwood master)
And recently had my c4 rebuilt
Upgraded brake lines to braided/ v8 size ss brake lines.

Also not needed but with all the new power of the v8 the stock steering geometry isn't the best and your already going to swap springs might be the time to look into the Shelby drop and maybe new bushings.

All of this isn't needed, besides the rear end but then you won't have matching tires. Just depends on your budget and time. Which is all way I decided to get all the parts needed for the v8 before I got one. But how is the service at your engine place? I'm thinking about getting a 390 from them for a different project.
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #5
Registered User
Newbie
 
mhill77493's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Brookshire
Region: Texas
Posts: 6
Just started taking the 6 out this weekend and ordered a new total car wiring harness from pai less. The wheels are 4 lug so I'm looking for a 9" real axle now with 5 lug and plan on redoing the front suspension in a couple of weeks. I had the c4 transmission rebuilt right after I bought the car. My son and I are doing most the work ourselves. And the wife is right behind me reminding me of what everything cost... lol. I really appreciate all the responses.

I'll take all the advice I can.
Thanks yall
mhill77493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 04:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Tyoung68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: concord
Region: California
Posts: 3,475
Wow we have pretty much the same project lol I used American auto wire for mine though. I will say to get the right Wire crimpers it'll save you a lot of time and terminal ends.
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mike roush02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Denham Springs
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 76
67 straight 6 engine swap to a 302

I had a 4 lug rear in my 68 when I swapped in my 2v 302 with a 3 speed one good wheel hop and pow! No more spider gears.
I got an 8" rear to replace it and never had any trouble with it after that.
After I upgraded to trick flow heads, cam, intake, 4v Holley, headers, and stall converter...the c4 broke 9 times b4 I found someone that could make it last.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mike roush02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:21 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Otroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Boise
Region: Alabama
Posts: 112
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoung68 View Post
Are your 4 or 5 lug? 4 won't last long with a built with 302.

If so used 8 or 9ins are not rare and can be found locally pretty much at any junk yard or part out. Brake upgrades are a must and can be found at any mustang parts site or summit or jegs also a good idea to upgrade to power brakes at this time.
Also you'll need v8 suspension parts or else your front end will sit way low.


I have a straight six in my car and job swapped everything needed for a v8 now.

What I went with was,

8in out of a 67
Wilwood 4 piston calipers
Power booster and dual master cylinder from national pats depo (then swapped to a wilwood master)
And recently had my c4 rebuilt
Upgraded brake lines to braided/ v8 size ss brake lines.

Also not needed but with all the new power of the v8 the stock steering geometry isn't the best and your already going to swap springs might be the time to look into the Shelby drop and maybe new bushings.

All of this isn't needed, besides the rear end but then you won't have matching tires. Just depends on your budget and time. Which is all way I decided to get all the parts needed for the v8 before I got one. But how is the service at your engine place? I'm thinking about getting a 390 from them for a different project.


I am just curious as to why you went with the 8in rear? I am not doubting your decision but was curious as to how strong they are. I had a '76 with the 7.5 but with a 372hp to the ground 302 it lasted longer than any of us ever thought it would with countless 6000 rpm clutch side steps. It would probably still be going right now if I still had the car.
I am going to pick up a '65-'70 fastback hopefully soon so that was why I was wondering on the 8in strength. Thanks and sorry if I derailed the thread.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Otroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 05:47 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mike roush02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Denham Springs
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 76
My 8" was upgraded to to 3.55 gears and a limited slip never had any trouble with it. For a while I had the 6cyl 4 lug front brakes till I found some 5 lug drum brakes to swap. Stopping was not the best but I was used to it and gave it room to stop.
I never changed the front 6 cyl springs because I liked the stance it had.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mike roush02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #10
Registered Member

Regular
 
olerodder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Corvallis
Region: Oregon
Posts: 2,708
Although a 9" is great...it's heavy and usually comes with non-posi.
If you go with a newer 8.8 it will come with disc brakes and posi...and they are certainly strong enough to hold as much HP as you can get from a 302/306/331/347... if you want to go big.
The 8.8 is a rear end a lot of Maverick guys use...Maverick/Falcon/Mustang are pretty much the same when it comes to suspension pieces...IMHO
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:59 AM   #11
Registered User
Newbie
 
mhill77493's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Brookshire
Region: Texas
Posts: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike roush02 View Post
My 8" was upgraded to to 3.55 gears and a limited slip never had any trouble with it. For a while I had the 6cyl 4 lug front brakes till I found some 5 lug drum brakes to swap. Stopping was not the best but I was used to it and gave it room to stop.
I never changed the front 6 cyl springs because I liked the stance it had.


Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Thanks for all the great information yall. I'll update some pictures soon.




Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
Although a 9" is great...it's heavy and usually comes with non-posi.
If you go with a newer 8.8 it will come with disc brakes and posi...and they are certainly strong enough to hold as much HP as you can get from a 302/306/331/347... if you want to go big.
The 8.8 is a rear end a lot of Maverick guys use...Maverick/Falcon/Mustang are pretty much the same when it comes to suspension pieces...IMHO


Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
mhill77493 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
79-81 straight 6 to 302 conversion pony81 General Mustang Discussion 2 01-15-2013 03:53 PM
BOSS 302 Mustang :: 2012 Ford B0SS 302 GoldenPonyBoy Member Garages 0 09-18-2011 12:12 PM
Will 1994-95 mustang 302 Alt/AC,PS Pump brackets bolt to a 1988 302 lincoln mark VII engine? pryderi General Car Discussion 1 04-05-2010 06:39 PM
Whats a ballpark estimate for a straight 6 to 289 swap on a 1966 mustang?? cipriano General Mustang Discussion 2 03-01-2010 05:39 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



06:38 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.