CJ Pony - Bad Customer Service - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-15-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
CJ Pony - Bad Customer Service

I've been happy with CJ until my last purchases.
I bought the LED reverse lights and the LED tail lights with sequential options.
The LED reverse lights are a nightmare. The connectors are shaped like the bulb base and twist into the socket, but they are flush when installed and so you don't anything to grasp to twist them in. The instructions suck and you end up twisting the wires out. CJ said I should have watched the video (I think instructions should be clear). The video says to use a 1/4" socket on nut in the connector, this ended up twisting the whole little board and ripping out the wires. They also removed the backup assembly from the car, (Not mentioned in instructions, shown in video, but doesn't say that it's necessary). The clear lens doesn't cover the LED board, so they provide adhesive foam to wrap around (poor solution and will not keep out water). Customer Service said they were sorry and weren't going to do anything about it, just too bad and $98 down the drain. They offered no solution except that I might try to re-solder the wires.
Now the LED Tail lights - Look great and install great. But since they are LED, there is an issue with the blinker module working properly because of the low voltage LED's. I purchased the recommended light duty module from them and installed it. The tail lights only run sequentially when the headlights are on, otherwise the blink like stock. Customer Service went through the basics of good ground, good connections, etc. and then said I should search forums on the internet to find a solution. No help at all. So $200 worth of products don't warrant customer service either.
Very unbelievable!!!!

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Aggiesrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2016, 04:10 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yeah iv been disappointed with cjpp for a while now. Only order from then sense they have free shipping and it seems to be the cheapest place to buy. Other wise I buy from summit. Iv placed an order on the 20th for parts and only receive half, with no email saying parts were on back order. So now I'm getting the run around on when the parts will be here. I always get "should be here next week". Kinda bs I'd be happier if the told me when they would really get there instead of playing me. I think I'm just going to cancel my order.
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:51 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I have good luck with Mustangs Unlimited also. I like Summit too, but sometimes you can save a few bucks with the same parts at Jegs. I saved almost $50 on some Autometer gauges from Jegs over Summit. Dallas Mustang and Johns Mustang also have good service.

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.

289 - Holley 4150 570cfm; Performer intake; mild cam; MSD HEI; 302 heads; Roller Tips; Hedman Tri-Y headers; H-pipe w/Flowmaster 40's; 9 in posi 3.50; 205/50-17F; 225/50-17R.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2016, 12:11 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Really summit has always had the beast prices for me on things. Yeah I have a local mustang shop that I'll probably get my stuff from now. They are a bit price, called mustangs plus but never have had a problem with them. It's just a shame sense o pretty much got all my mustang parts from them for my whole restoration. Probably have 10k spent there
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:39 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Howdy All.

I will have to say it is not CJ Ponies fault. They just sell a product. The manufacture is at fault for not having the correct instructions in the packaging. They could have given you the MFG phone number to see if the MFG would make it right. You admit you broke the part trying to install it (with bad instructions) why should CJ take it back then? If you sold something, not made by you to anyone and they broke it would you take it back? I would contact the MFG and see if they make it right. If not I would call CJ and tell them they should drop this MFG because of this problem.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Excellent Mlarv5,

The tip I offer is that when I buy anything or need to install anything, I just go to U-Tube and look for a video. Do that and you can save yourself from situations like this.
Google the product and all kinds of helpful stuff pops up.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 02:19 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I agree. I found this forum by Google Search.
scurfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggiesrok View Post
I have good luck with Mustangs Unlimited also. I like Summit too, but sometimes you can save a few bucks with the same parts at Jegs. I saved almost $50 on some Autometer gauges from Jegs over Summit. Dallas Mustang and Johns Mustang also have good service.

Howdy Ags-
I buy all I can from Summit and do like John's. He is very knowledgable.

Have you tried North Houston Mustang? Ray is a great guy and knows his stuff as well. Great service but stock on hand isn't what John's has. Ray can usually get just about anything within a day and does have good prices.

Teach your kid to have a car problem and they won't have money to have a drug problem
RonVernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mlarv5 View Post
Howdy All.

I will have to say it is not CJ Ponies fault. They just sell a product. The manufacture is at fault for not having the correct instructions in the packaging. They could have given you the MFG phone number to see if the MFG would make it right. You admit you broke the part trying to install it (with bad instructions) why should CJ take it back then? If you sold something, not made by you to anyone and they broke it would you take it back? I would contact the MFG and see if they make it right. If not I would call CJ and tell them they should drop this MFG because of this problem.

The instructions that caused it to break was their own CJ video and not the poor mfg printed instructions. Good customer service does not push the customer off on someone else.
Good customer service would accept the part back, make it right and then they would deal with the mfg on their own. At this point the mfg is costing them business and reputation. They are in a position to leverage the mfg and send it back for credit.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:25 AM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I just always go to "AMERICA MUSCLE" first for anything I buy.
They price match.
Free shipping,
Fast service.

I have not had to use it because I never had a problem but from what I have read on these Forums-AM has a great Customer service.

Ronnie
Old 01-18-2016, 08:13 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
They price match.
Free shipping,
Fast service.

I have not had to use it because I never had a problem but from what I have read on these Forums-AM has a great Customer service.

Ronnie
They only have one problem. They do not have parts for the older cars.

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:26 AM   #12
Site Sponsor

Quote:
They price match.
Free shipping,
Fast service.

Ronnie

Thanks for the kind words Ronnie, Hope you and Mario are well.

OP - I'd give them a chance I'm sure they're going to want to get you some help on this.

Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:34 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Quote:

I know.....they should work on that ASAP!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
fstbck70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:39 AM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
You break it you bought it unfortunately... Except I have seen AM fix customer ****ups even in these situations so there is that...

That said, AM/LRS/CJPP/Summit/Jegs are just vendors. Do you realize how many parts they sell? Their techs cannot possibly have all the info right at their fingertips for EVERYTHING which is why they'll refer you to the manufacturer. This sort of situation is going to need to be settled with the manufacturer and hopefully its not some cheap chinese crap kit. If it is... you might as well just try to fix the one you have or get something else.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:39 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
You break it you bought it unfortunately... Except I have seen AM fix customer ****ups even in these situations so there is that...

That said, AM/LRS/CJPP/Summit/Jegs are just vendors. Do you realize how many parts they sell? Their techs cannot possibly have all the info right at their fingertips for EVERYTHING which is why they'll refer you to the manufacturer. This sort of situation is going to need to be settled with the manufacturer and hopefully its not some cheap chinese crap kit. If it is... you might as well just try to fix the one you have or get something else.

I screw stuff up like anyone. But I wouldn't call this a customer ****up when I followed their instructions.
Being very busy is not an excuse for blowing off a customer. When you don't have an answer, you push it up to a manager and you call the customer back and offer a solution.
The manufacturer was never brought into it, but should have been.
If it's cheap Chinese crap, you then refund and stop selling it, until it works or the instructions give someone a chance to install it without a problem.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:39 PM   #16
Staff
Regular
Staff

Unfortunately everyone sells cheap Chinese junk parts. Only way to stop it is if people stop buying it. Thank the younger crowd mostly for keeping on buying it. I mean some Chinese stuff like AM replica wheels are ok...but not a lot of it is.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:59 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They price match.
Free shipping,
Fast service.

Ronnie
ditto here on am for a very long time. and when i don't want the other half to know i'm doing something they have downloadable mail in form and a 2 buck money order from the P:O so it take a few days more to get to me,other wise since i'm under 100 miles from them it arrives overnight
captchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:06 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Unfortunately everyone sells cheap Chinese junk parts. Only way to stop it is if people stop buying it. Thank the younger crowd mostly for keeping on buying it. I mean some Chinese stuff like AM replica wheels are ok...but not a lot of it is.

scott

i just did a job for my doctor, he got a set of chip foose wheels to put on his 57 vette , cast into the wheels i found made in china . had to have him send them back after we found it would take almost a pound of weight to balance them with top of the line Michelin tires
another made in china issue is in the MT82 6 speed. china cut corners on the syncro ring specs in the early ones causing the grinding of gears when cold then ford telling us to use that $26.00 a qt dual clutch oil that fails to work.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:14 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

The Chinese WILL cut corners every chance they can. Don't trust China made bolts, I'm just saying.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:18 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
maybe so but late model restoration has serviced me well in the past for my 70 boss 429. same with some parts from [url]www.cobraautomotive.com, in Wallingford, CT
Old 01-28-2016, 07:26 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
The Chinese WILL cut corners every chance they can. Don't trust China made bolts, I'm just saying.
not saying well known truth !! after my dealer ran me around the world with my 2012's mt82 problems i pulled the trans and took to a tremec shop about 35 miles away from my home that builds custom units ,they knew about the rings and how far out of spec they were made causing the grinding. new rings gm syncromesh oil no more grinding
Old 01-28-2016, 02:20 PM   #22
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by captchas View Post
scott

i just did a job for my doctor, he got a set of chip foose wheels to put on his 57 vette , cast into the wheels i found made in china . had to have him send them back after we found it would take almost a pound of weight to balance them with top of the line Michelin tires
another made in china issue is in the MT82 6 speed. china cut corners on the syncro ring specs in the early ones causing the grinding of gears when cold then ford telling us to use that $26.00 a qt dual clutch oil that fails to work.
I need to email TJ. I have been dead set on another set of replica rims for my current ride but... Might have to figure out the extra $$$ for the Steeda rims if they are indeed USA made.

Old 01-29-2016, 07:00 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I need to email TJ. I have been dead set on another set of replica rims for my current ride but... Might have to figure out the extra $$$ for the Steeda rims if they are indeed USA made.
you might be well off doing that, this was a high priced set of foose replica cast wheels. i couldn't believe i found made in china cast into the spokes
Old 01-29-2016, 08:23 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by captchas View Post
you might be well off doing that, this was a high priced set of foose replica cast wheels. i couldn't believe i found made in china cast into the spokes
I Googled Floose wheels. I was shocked by what I found. Next I Googled USA made wheels. There are more than one manufacturer proudly making wheels using pure alloys.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:06 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfie View Post
I Googled Floose wheels. I was shocked by what I found. Next I Googled USA made wheels. There are more than one manufacturer proudly making wheels using pure alloys.
it also very old news, seems it has been going on as long as he is on tv
Old 01-29-2016, 12:41 PM   #26
Staff
Regular
Staff

Foose anything is overpriced and gaudy as hell. I wouldn't say no to being on overhaulin or something don't get me wrong... But I would never buy foose anything.

Old 01-29-2016, 01:06 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

So Aggies, what happened? Any more contact with CJ's? Would like to know the outcome.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 08:16 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Foose anything is overpriced and gaudy as hell. I wouldn't say no to being on overhaulin or something don't get me wrong... But I would never buy foose anything.

maybe getting caught with made in china is why overhauling is no more, even states such in their web site. chip dose do some very nice custom work but parts wise ???? who isn't out sourcing to make more while they can? before the fame fads
Old 02-01-2016, 09:44 AM   #29
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well... Even the Steeda rims are chinese now... Fml

Old 02-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #30
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I just gotta know why nobody likes "MADE IN CHINA"?????????????
Stuff from China has to be just fine,

When my Mother was alive, And she had company for dinner , One thing she was proud of and used at this time, as well as Thanksgiving and Christmas was;

HER FINE CHINA
The regular made in the USA dishes would just not do.

Ronnie
Old 02-01-2016, 12:34 PM   #31
Staff
Regular
Staff

^rofl. You keep using that word... I don't think it means what you think it means...

Old 02-01-2016, 12:56 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

We still have my mom's Fine China ! Made in New Hampshire, USA.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 01:41 PM   #33
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I think my Mom's fine China was made in Japan but she sure loved that China.
Ha! Ha! Ha!
Ronnie
Old 02-08-2016, 08:17 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxfordwhite View Post
So Aggies, what happened? Any more contact with CJ's? Would like to know the outcome.

Haven't heard a word. I bought some of the new Multi LED bulbs that fit in the sockets for the reverse lights. They are like bulbs and work great, a lot cheaper also.
I never got a call back to solve the taillight issue. I figured it out myself with a power probe and a few beers. It was a grounding issue.
Live and learn and never buy from CJ again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs