Mach 1 inspired 2011 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-07-2016, 12:55 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Mach 1 inspired 2011 GT

I have a candy red 2011 GT. I'm starting to do some Mach 1 inspired mods to it. I recently replaced the stock hood with an eggshell black painted vented hood. I am having a difficult time finding a 2 pedestal spoiler for the 2011 that is close to the older Mach 1 spoilers. All aftermarket available for my 11seem to only come with 4 pedestals. I'm going to check some dimensions and see if an actual Mach one spoiler can be retrofit to my 2011.
My question is regarding the rear window louvers. I see many pictures of the older Mach 1s with the black louvers. Was this an actual factory option on those models or are those strictly aftermarket?

Sent from my XT1096 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Brewcityf6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2016, 01:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Thought I read somewhere that they were dealer options and not from the factory. Someone who was around back then and bought one will hopefully chime in.
sid719e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 01:24 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Also, regarding your spoiler - do you have the small lip spoiler from the factory? If so, and you go with a two pedestal spoiler, you'll have two additional holes that will need to be filled.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2016, 09:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Currently have the Shelby spoiler.

Old 02-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

BTW, not sure what your current setup is but I'm considering an x pipe with high flow cats. Do you know how the high flow cats fair in WI emissions testing?

Old 02-08-2016, 09:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewcityf6b View Post
Currently have the Shelby spoiler.

I believe that one has four screws. So if you go with a two pedestal spoiler, you'll have to have two of the holes repaired. I think it would look awesome if you actually went with an old spoiler though. I've seen an S197 with one before. I thought it looked really good.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Hmm, not sure how I would pull that off. I'm assuming it would have to be a piece welded in under each hole and then bondo over the holes?

Old 02-08-2016, 11:28 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Hi flow or off road cats generally are not emissions friendly.I'm interested in your project as the 69 Mach 1 is my favorite mustang of all time. Thought of doing a newer rendition too. I would keep it a new rendition of the classic and not worry about period specific parts fitting on a newer platform. Personally I'd go with the 4 pedestal spoiler in black but that's my interpretation. If it looks good to you, go for it!
Beviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:45 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

My Brother bought a 69 Mach 1 brand new in 1968. I just called him to ask if he remembered and he said that when he orderd the car, He opted for the rear window deflecters and when he picked up the car thay were on it. He could not tell me if the dealer or factory installed them but he does remember they were on thee window sticker.
I know, I sure see a lot of them on 69 Mach 1's.

Here is a picture of my brothers Girlfriends Mach 1
Ronnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090238.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	196776  
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 11:55 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Sweet car. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:56 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beviking View Post
Hi flow or off road cats generally are not emissions friendly.I'm interested in your project as the 69 Mach 1 is my favorite mustang of all time. Thought of doing a newer rendition too. I would keep it a new rendition of the classic and not worry about period specific parts fitting on a newer platform. Personally I'd go with the 4 pedestal spoiler in black but that's my interpretation. If it looks good to you, go for it!
That's a really good point. I hadn't thought of it that way. I suppose the four pedestal would like up with my Shelby spoiler holes.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Here is a picture of a original untouched Mach 1

This one is owned by the N.P.D ( national parts depot) in Ocala Florida.
It is all original and untouched.
Ronnie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1090226.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	196780   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1090228.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	1.57 MB
ID:	196781  

Old 02-08-2016, 12:32 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's a really good point. I hadn't thought of it that way. I suppose the four pedestal would like up with my Shelby spoiler holes.

I would call American Muscle and ask - since they sell both. But if you did opt to go with an older spoiler, the pedestals on that probably wouldn't line up with any of the holes that you have in your trunk lid. More than likely you would need all four filled. I would take it to a body shop if you were going to go that route.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Ronnie
Ah, the good ole Ford & Mustang Roundup at Silver Springs. Been there a few times.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:42 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Sid,
It is a really nice place for a car show. I have been going every year since 2012 and enjoy it a lot.

The sad thing is that the State took it over and they say this would be the last year and """NO"MORE"" car events.

I hope N.P.D. can find another spot because if they can't there will be no more great events like this in January.
I'm hoping they can make a Deal with Don Gartlets and have it there.

Have you seen their collection at the N.P.D.???
Ronnie
Old 02-08-2016, 12:43 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ronnie
That's a really nice ride. I need to find a chin spoiler that is similar too.

Old 02-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hi Sid,
It is a really nice place for a car show. I have been going every year since 2012 and enjoy it a lot.

The sad thing is that the State took it over and they say this would be the last year and """NO"MORE"" car events.

I hope N.P.D. can find another spot because if they can't there will be no more great events like this in January.
I'm hoping they can make a Deal with Don Gartlets and have it there.

Have you seen their collection at the N.P.D.???
Ronnie
That sucks to hear that it may not be there anymore. No, I haven't seen their collection. Maybe a trip to NPD is in order.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:39 PM   #18
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

A few pictures of the N.P.D. car collection

Here are a few pictures of their collection.
I would guess about 4 or 5 hundred cars in original condition.
All models.
Ronnie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1060505.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	958.3 KB
ID:	196793   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060495.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	196794  

Name:	P1060496.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	196795  
Old 02-08-2016, 06:06 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's a really nice ride. I need to find a chin spoiler that is similar too.

Yeah Ronnie, every time you post those 69 Mach pics, I have to stay seated a bit longer. Real nice!

Brew, check out CDC chin spoiler. Again, not exact as the 69 model but fits the S197 nice. If you paint the outside to match the body and left the middle section black, it may look more like the original?
Old 02-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
69 Mach 1 mods

Hi, I had the same car 69 red with white leather and gold accent stripes. Ordered it new. BJS had just opened they had a deal with ford. This car was awesome 351 clealand,auto, the first ford to have am-fm stereo 8 track. , white lettered Good year poly tires, posi, loaded. Any way aluminum louvers were an option also It had the shaker hood functional vent. This had right and left blinker lights on the rear of hood scoop. The horn was on the inside of the steering wheel a thin rubber ring that you pressed.
goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:19 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
69 mach 1

I got so excited talking about that car I forgot to tell you go to spoilers .com, to find your spoiler your looking for good luck!
goman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:21 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by goman View Post
Hi, I had the same car 69 red with white leather and gold accent stripes. Ordered it new. BJS had just opened they had a deal with ford. This car was awesome 351 clealand,auto, the first ford to have am-fm stereo 8 track. , white lettered Good year poly tires, posi, loaded. Any way aluminum louvers were an option also It had the shaker hood functional vent. This had right and left blinker lights on the rear of hood scoop. The horn was on the inside of the steering wheel a thin rubber ring that you pressed.
351C w shaker hood!?! You guys are killing me! I'm going to have to unsubscribe from this thread! I had piles of magazines and any article pertaining to a '69 Mach 1 I thought I'd use, I catalogued and had on a floppy disc. Obviously that dream is long gone.

OP, don't forget some woodgrain vinyl for your dash!
Old 02-18-2016, 09:37 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Mach 1 inspired 2011 GT

Btw interested to hear your thoughts on the black hood. I think once I do the black pedestal spoiler it will tie together. Right now it looks like an unfinished hood. Also thinking about getting the black out decal for the roof.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1455809839050.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	197178   Click image for larger version

Name:	1455809857498.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	197179  

Old 02-18-2016, 09:39 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

One more.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1455809961504.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	197181  
Old 02-18-2016, 10:41 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I agree that it needs something to tie it all together, but it has potential.
ER12883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 10:34 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Hood looks out of place to me. I'm not sure I like the solid black.

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1455856159.974048.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	197218

I think it would look good following the more traditional look like above with red along the outside.

Then the stripe is another thing. That resembles a 70 Boss 302 stripe and not a Mach at all.

It's kinda like you pulled random trim packages from different classics from a hat. To me it just seems inconsistent.

I like the colors though. I plan on using those colors in reverse on mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
fstbck70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 02:52 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Hampshire
I really respect your decision and apparent dedication to do this mod and specific classic tribute! It's unusual and will be something you will be proud of and also those Mustang enthusiasts that are familiar with and loved the Classic Mach 1 will surely appreciate what you're doing. It's so nice to see Mustang owners decide what they really want theirs to look like and then commit to doing it right with quality parts etc, not skimping or settling for "almost as good" but cheaper and done quicker. Or not doing a mod that is what they really want and would make them proud because it costs more or may take longer to save money for.
What you get is a longer love affair with it, patience and delayed gratification (for us with modest income) and a pride with no regrets later. And probably you will keep it much longer without losing your good feeling every time you look at it and end up trading it in, losing money and all the mods you spent money on that we're just kinda good enough for you.
I hope you keep us updated with pics and progress. I'm attempting a similar determination to make mine the way I envision the perfect look for me and it's a long process to afford the parts I know I want but could have a cheaper version or style much quicker and it would sort of be my dream car.
It's been worth it so far, I have no cheaper easier bits that would always bug me but oooooh it's not done overnight.
This is what makes non Mustang people see and appreciate how we love our Mustangs and won't let it appear cheap by doing cheaper easier "mods".
Now, everyone has their own preference and a fake hood scoop is just what some guys want and think looks just right to them, but I'm talking about the guy that really wants a certain aftermarket hood (or whatever) but will get the hood scoop instead because it's a major cost and the scoop is still nice.... But it's just too hard to wait and work extra and wait some more and finally get the hood he had envisioned even when it's more than he would like to spend but did it! And it's never going to be easy or fast but it will be a longer more satisfying affair.
Waylap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 06:10 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
One more.

I agree to the statement wrong strip on the side. It really does seem wrong from my point of view way up here in OH. I would also put the hood pins on it along with the body color stripe along the nose.

The tow post spoiler might not look right on your body style. Do you have a friend with photo shop? If so before you buy anything get some good pictures of the spoilers and the car and put it together on the computer first to see what give you the look you want.

Here are a few Boss 302 pic's

I like the idea and it is looking good so far.

Love the idea
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Boss 302 plane.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	197220   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boss 302.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	24.0 KB
ID:	197221  

2013 Shelby GT500 Born 12/06/2012 number 439 of 530 in DIB and 1 of 9 with Red Stripes over the top and on the seats
Mlarv5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:41 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I actually think your current side stripe looks better than trying to tie in the boss stripe to the hood. The lnes running sideways off the hood just don't make sense to me...they need to be swept back more. I think blacking out the roof would help tie it together too. I also prefer the partial black hood vs all black but that's me. I might give it a shot with vinyl and see how it looks. Will post pics if I do.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:30 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Funny you mention the side stripes. They were actually on the car when I bought it along with an obnoxious faux hood scoop. I realize the hockey sticks aren't consistent with a Mach 1 but rather a boss. However at this time I'm keeping them until I find something that looks and feels more reminiscent of the Mach 1 stripes. I've also considered the idea that this is "my" interpretation of a Mach 1 "inspired" car so I'm considering if I want to just keep it my own or go balls to the wall Mach 1. I really do appreciate all the feedback. I'm actually dropping the car off tomorrow to have the hood painted red. Then I'm having a guy who wraps cars make a custom blackout for the middle of the hood, leaving about 1-2 inches around the perimeter. Stay tuned for more pics. I also agree about the spoiler. I'm going to get the 4 ped spoiler and paint it black.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 02-19-2016, 01:32 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Here is what the car looked like when I bought it. Just not a fan of faux scooped but to each his own.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1455910341031.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	197224   Click image for larger version

Name:	1455910358189.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	197225  

Old 02-19-2016, 07:58 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

This is the pattern I'm thinking for my hood. What do you guys think?

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1455933520493.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	197247  
Old 02-19-2016, 08:07 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Much better than the all black hood. Looks really good.

Is it going to be a gloss black or a flat black?

fstbck70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:09 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Or do you prefer this? More so just black down the middle.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1455934169792.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	16.0 KB
ID:	197248  
Old 02-19-2016, 08:10 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbck70 View Post
Much better than the all black hood. Looks really good.

Is it going to be a gloss black or a flat black?

Going to stick with more of an eggshell / flat black.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Tags
2011 gt