9 inch rear end flange - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-29-2016, 02:26 AM   #1

Region: Europe
9 inch rear end flange

Hello Gentlemen,

Being in the process of rebuilding my 65 9 in rear end, I have to revert to your expertise concerning the different versions of companion flanges/pinion yokes there are. Note that my Stang is a K hence the 9 in rear end.

The type of flange/yoke that I would expect is shown in the second image just for reference.

The companion flange that was installed on my car is pictured in the first image. As you can see it has a metal ring around the bottom part of the flange. I removed it from the pinion last night so I cannot tell yet if they are one part or if this ring can be removed. It is fairly heavy and I would guess it is some kind of dampener but it is not typical, even for K-codes.

While I did dome research what it really is and what application it comes from, I had no luck. Does anybody have an idea?

Thanks,

Jo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
goejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #2

Update

To further investigate, I cleaned the pinion yoke a bit and found some more numbers. C3AW-4980. Hope that helps...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-30-2016, 05:40 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I found this

http://www.network54.com/Forum/74182...truction+today
Tyoung68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2016, 10:40 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyoung68 View Post

Hello Tyoung68

thanks! That was a sad story! are you reading it that it came with a Galaxie or a Bronco - got kind of confused.

I found also something but there it seems clear that it was a Galaxie: http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/gala...nion-yoke.html

Jo
Old 04-02-2016, 01:30 PM   #5
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
I doubt that the rear end came from the factory like that. Both of my K code Mustangs, 65 and 66 had regular nine inchers....looks like it came out of a bigger car like Galaxie or Fairlane.....although my 63-1/2 R code Galaxie didn't have one.
Ford did a lot weird stuff on the assembly line back in the 60's.
What gears do you have the Mustang?
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:16 AM   #6

Hello olerodder,
Apologies for the late reply.

When I got the car, there was one differential installed (obviously) and a spare on the side. The installed one was a 3.25 and the spare is a 3.9. According to the owner the spare 3.9 was original to the car and the 3.25 w installed after the other one had seized. The weird thing is that the axle code is '5' and the transmission is 'E'. since it is a 4speed manual transmission, i thought the codes were interchanged.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:28 AM   #7
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon
It should be a 3.89 as Ford never made a 3.90 that I am aware of. Both of my K Code mustangs came with 3.50's or E code....one was an open and the other had the very rare Equa-Lock or A code. If the 9" that is in there is an E code it should have 3.50's, the 3.25 would have been a D code.
To find a 3.89 in a 65/66 K code Mustang would be extremely rare as only 1% of the K code Mustangs came with option and most probably had a posi rear end.
Do either of the rear ends have a posi unit or are they both open.
Also, did the car come from the States or was it an export model?
So, the rearend is an E code and transmission is a 5 code...right???? Body tag numbers were never interchangeable....at least in US bound cars...I've only see 2 export Mustangs and I don't think the numbers were interchanged...is this a real Ford tag or a repop? How about some pictures.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:11 PM   #8

9 inch rear end flange

You got me confused there so I went and counted the teeth again. The one that was supposedly the original has 43/11 teeth, which makes 3.909.
The other one was a 3.25 (39/12). Both are open differentials.
As you see from the tag it is an export model (to Canada).

When I ordered a new axle tag from Marti, I also enquired about the warranty plate codes. Their reply was "Your codes are correct. The transmission code is E instead of a 5 because it is a Canadian car." when I asked for more info on this, I got no reply.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs