New - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-14-2016, 01:26 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
New

I own a 65 mustang and am wanting to know where I post to get a little advice

Sent from my SM-N920V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
65 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2016, 12:56 PM   #2
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Oregon

This would be the place.
olerodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2016, 01:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 coupe View Post
I own a 65 mustang and am wanting to know where I post to get a little advice

Well, you already asked that once and have a couple of threads going.

New

Fender or bumper
Old 08-17-2016, 05:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I never reposted it was just that first thread

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-17-2016, 06:18 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

You asked in two threads where to post for advise.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know why it did that

Old 08-17-2016, 07:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Lol. It's all good. You are in the right place. Ask away my friend.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Well here is something. I'm trying to restore this car in a one car garage with a uneven floor . Well I called a guy to come give me a price on replacing the rear frame rails and rear torque boxes and new floor with no tank because I'm running a after market fuel cell . Well anyways he told me 3 k to do it I was blown away when I heard that what do you think cost is

Old 08-17-2016, 09:10 PM   #9
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
New

That's about as much to fix the rear in my Challenger.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Damn I really didn't think it would be that much, I'd do it myself but not on a uneven floor

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 08-17-2016, 10:19 PM   #11
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Kentucky
New

It isn't cheap to restore a car. Quality work will cost you. Or cheap restorations will have to be redone. That's what I've seen working at a body shop and auto repair shop.
Recon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:07 PM   #12
Registered Member

Regular

I have a friend, Gary Smith, of Gary's Mustangs in Clackamas, Oregon and he has been restoring Mustangs only for over 30 years...Gary said $3k is a little light as he would probably charge closer to $4k. Part of the reason...and he did this with my 66GT/HiPro before he replaced both quarters and front clip...it is very unusual to have a 50+ year old Mustang that either hasn't been hit or ridden hard and put away wet...meaning most of the Mustangs he has restored have not had totally straight frames from front to rear and corner to corner.
Also, having someone come over to do the work in a one car garage will have it's challenges...unless you have not restored early Mustang chassis before I would at least find someone that would help you that has done this type of work before...doing/showing you where to cut out of the rot and measuring and positioning the new pieces...kind of like a part time professional helper.
Do it right the first time or you will/could have issues when you finish.
So, if you have a fuel cell are you going to make this a track car, drag car, or combination of all of the above.
To make a long story short...$3k seems to be very reasonable...as long as the guy is competent and has done this before....IMHO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-03-10 13.22.40 (1).jpg
Views:	19
Size:	752.7 KB
ID:	204285  
Old 08-18-2016, 01:06 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

If you guys think 3,000 is cheap then I'll have the guy do it . He owns one of the bigger shops around town so I'm hoping he knows what he's doing . He wants to redo the whole back end of the car that's quarters , wheels housings truck floor, Tail light panel and so forth I buy the parts and he said 10,000 no point no finish just spot weld it all in place . Truthfully I have to no problem hauling my car somewhere to have the work done right I live in Iowa if you all know anyone around here

---------- Post added at 06:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by olerodder View Post
I have a friend, Gary Smith, of Gary's Mustangs in Clackamas, Oregon and he has been restoring Mustangs only for over 30 years...Gary said $3k is a little light as he would probably charge closer to $4k. Part of the reason...and he did this with my 66GT/HiPro before he replaced both quarters and front clip...it is very unusual to have a 50+ year old Mustang that either hasn't been hit or ridden hard and put away wet...meaning most of the Mustangs he has restored have not had totally straight frames from front to rear and corner to corner.
Also, having someone come over to do the work in a one car garage will have it's challenges...unless you have not restored early Mustang chassis before I would at least find someone that would help you that has done this type of work before...doing/showing you where to cut out of the rot and measuring and positioning the new pieces...kind of like a part time professional helper.
Do it right the first time or you will/could have issues when you finish.
So, if you have a fuel cell are you going to make this a track car, drag car, or combination of all of the above.
To make a long story short...$3k seems to be very reasonable...as long as the guy is competent and has done this before....IMHO
Your car doesn't have half the rust mine has , everything needs replaced

Old 08-18-2016, 06:04 AM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
One good automotive friend that did classic car restoration once told me this on how much it cost to restore a vehicle:

"Open the door; stuff money into the cars interior. When no more money will fit, close the door...its now restored"
Old 08-19-2016, 10:29 AM   #15
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 coupe View Post
If you guys think 3,000 is cheap then I'll have the guy do it . He owns one of the bigger shops around town so I'm hoping he knows what he's doing . He wants to redo the whole back end of the car that's quarters , wheels housings truck floor, Tail light panel and so forth I buy the parts and he said 10,000 no point no finish just spot weld it all in place . Truthfully I have to no problem hauling my car somewhere to have the work done right I live in Iowa if you all know anyone around here

---------- Post added at 06:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 AM ----------

Your car doesn't have half the rust mine has , everything needs replaced

The picture of my 66 GT/HiPro Mustang were taken 25 years ago when it was undergoing restoration.
It was an original never touched car and was hit in the front...was a California car...back in the day I paid $1500 for all OEM front sheet metal and $275 a piece for the OEM quarters...the more we tore into the car the more issues there were and it only had 36,000 original miles...that was in 1978. I spent $10,000 1978 dollars restoring the total car...Gary did all of the body and paint and I did all the rest...in 2016 money that's over $40,000. I sold the Mustang in 1988 for $25k to a collector in Germany...in $2016 money that's over $50k but unfortunately I lost about $15k from the $40k+ I spent in restoration...and that was a pretty rare car back then.
Buying a rusted out car it's like buying a boat...it's a total money pit...and investing that kind of money even over 5/7 years will mean in the end you may get $0.20 cents for every dollar when you resell it...assuming the work done is all done correctly...now if you had a convertible or fastback with K code I could see spending a lot of money with hopes of getting it back.
I don't mean to scare you off it's just that unless you are an experienced body professional outside shop work will eat you alive....plus aftermarket parts are going to take 2 to 3 times longer to install vs. OEM which will cost $$$$$..IMHO
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-03-10 13.26.02.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	672.5 KB
ID:	204335  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs