Mustang Evolution Forum banner

quick help

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  olerodder 
#1 ·
well as i was driving to school today the rubber collar that connects the steering shaft to the box ripped... I was able to get it put back together well enough to get to school but want to swap it out for one of the u joint style ones. Does anyone know off top of their head if there is a kit? Or do i need a new column too? theres a flange on the bottom of the steering shaft that rubber collar bolts too not sure if i would be able to just cut it off.

Thanks

#2 ·
I'm not really familiar with the steering on your car, but I replaced the rag joint on my truck a while back, and had to cut the old one off of the steering shaft in order to install the new one.
I don't know if the same would apply if replacing it with a u-joint type.

#4 ·
Don't they make a poly rag joint replacement?

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.

#5 ·
I've never seen a poly rag joints. But I'm looking at getting rid of the whole rag joint

The issue isn't the box side but the original column and how the rag joint bolts to the column I think I just need a new steering shaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#8 · (Edited)
I guess a link would have been good eh?

http://www.cjponyparts.com/total-co...-2-for-original-column-1967-1970/p/TCPCOLM03/

The stock shaft if collapsable in the event of an accident so it has a sleeve that the lower shaft slides into. So this fit will eliminate the flange and allow for the u joint style joint

Now the problem is this all comes in a kit with a rack and pinion at around 1k. And after I sell my old box and buy the u-joint it would only be around 1k ish to convert to a manual rack.

#9 ·
I guess is a manual rack worth it? Regardless I don't really want power steering but with my box at 5000 miles seems to pretty sloppy already so I'm not a fan of it but will a rack stay tight for longer?

I should also mention that when I bought my box I bught the wrong shaft 1-1/8 vs 1-1/16 and couldnt return it so I had to make it work. (Machine a bushing and out a pin in) to connect the pitman arm and drag link. So its bit mcgivered atm and only way to fix it is a new box With the right selector shaft.

#10 ·
Looked into it a bit more and looks it only be around 600$ after I sell some if the parts that I already have (tie rods and bump steer kit and eccentric washer kit) I'm thinking this is probably the way to go if the manual rack is a good option.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.