Mustang Evolution Forum banner

9 inch almost done

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Aggiesrok 
#1 ·
Finally done tomorrow. Of course had setbacks. Needed new brake back plates, yoke issue, then drive turned out to be crap. New drive shaft ready tomorrow. So now it's a 9", 31 spline, 11" new drums, posi, 3.50 gears and new 3" drive shaft. Good bye 8 inch 2.79.
Should be awesome.

Chevy runs deep, don't step in Chevy.

#2 ·
Another unforeseen delay. Driveshaft is garbage, so waiting on a new one.

#4 ·
Back on the road. Super sweet. Brakes better and gears made a huge difference. Speedo is now off about 30%, some big gear difference.

#6 ·
Everyone uses the 9 inch. Tons of chevy builds use a Ford 9 inch. They're easy to install and bulletproof.

#7 ·
Any value in the old 8" setup?

#8 ·
Any value in the old 8" setup?

8" fords are still very good. Especially if you have the 67+ unit with the cross braced ## casting, instead of the one with the Flat == casting supports in the case front.

They are plenty strong, can be fitted with a trak-lock diff and have all the same advantages as a 9". I have know some vintage mustang guys who prefer them for a little less rolling resistance.

..But with 2.79 gears, it would need to be upgraded to sell for much more than just core value.

#9 ·
Yeah if you are making ludicrous power going all the way to plaid then 9" is the way to go. Not sure I'll ever make enough where an 8.8" can't get it done tho...

that's what she said! :eek:

#12 ·
Teeheheheheheeee

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#14 ·
Yeah went with a posi 9. Just wasn't sure if I could get any money for the old 8".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.