66 resto mod help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-22-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
66 resto mod help

I have 66 inline 6 cyl. I want to go with a 351 Cleveland which means i have to put 5 lug axles on and rip the 4 lugs off. I was looking at Prestige Mustangs and saw that there were some 9" rear ends for sale off the 70s fastbacks. What do i need to look for quality or do i just need to buy something newer. I was also looking at suspension options and want to know what would be the best option for this project. In the end i want to be pushing 700hp. I just want to have reliability with the looks of the old car. Also i have some bondo problems that bubbled up on the roof when it got painted. How do I fix this or should i just leave it?
"You want something. Go get it. Period. Don't ever let someone tell you... you can't do something."
SC_STEEDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2008, 08:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Re: 66 resto mod help

I also forgot to ask. With the power that i want do i need to go with carburetor or multi port injection?
"You want something. Go get it. Period. Don't ever let someone tell you... you can't do something."
Old 12-23-2008, 09:50 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

First I would recommend going with a 351 Windsor. It's easier to find parts and cheaper than the cleveland. You can get the same or more power out of the windsor so no issues there.

When looking at rear ends, you just need to make sure it fits in the car or you're going to have to do some modification. What kind of spring set up is the old car vs yours. The overall width is important as well because you might have to narrow or lengthen it. Just make sure you do a rebuild on the axle and make sure everything is clean and you would be good to go. You might even need to get a new ring and pinion depending on the shape and gear ratio. Make sure all the parts are good if you're thinking about reusing them. The 9" doesn't have shims to do backlash either. There's little cams that you turn on the side of the 3rd member. The 9" is one of the if not the strongest rear end you can get so throw as much power at it as you want as long as you build it properly.

As for the bondo, take it back to the body shop and tell them to fix it. Bondo shouldn't lift/bubble if it was applied correctly.

Going carb or fuel injection depends on your budget, and how complicated you want to make things. Fuel injection has its advantages over carbs but its more expensive, requires a computer and all the wiring, and did I mention is expensive. If this isn't a daily driver you can go carb no problem. You can run a 700 or 750 cfm and be good to go.

95 GT- Sold
09 Hyundai Elantra Touring-new ride.
Looking for the next project car now
Scut95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

One thing just crossed my mind. My dad just finished a 351 windsor for his 85 gt. The car is a street/strip car. It has a pretty radical engine spec wise and he's making around 600 hp/ft lbs. If you want to get 700 you may need to go forced induction or nitrous. You can also run carb or fuel injection with both those set up's so my previous post still applies.

95 GT- Sold
Old 12-24-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I am not sure on the spring set up I plan on replacing the whole suspension on the 1966. because its old and out of date. I want up to date stuff on the car so i will be going with MPI and with a power adder later on.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:11 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

That sounds like a good plan....Good suspension and brakes is nice to have on one of those cars....I also found out the specs on my dads engine as well so it may help you with yours. 351 windsor bored out to 373 ci. Cleveland heads, 13 to 1 compression, around a .700 lift cam, and 850 cfm carb.....he has it all written down and I canfind the rest of the specs if you want. This set up makes around 600 hp and ft/lbs on 93 octane. It's a beast so I can't imagine what 700 hp would feel like, but I hope you get there and can let us know some day!

95 GT- Sold
Old 12-28-2008, 06:36 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

yeah i cant wait to get there. i hopefully will have at least the suspension and the 5.4L in at least in the next 3 yrs. have to get out of college and get a job to FUND the thing.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:50 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
yeah i cant wait to get there. i hopefully will have at least the suspension and the 5.4L in at least in the next 3 yrs. have to get out of college and get a job to FUND the thing.
Haha, I hear ya on that. I just graduated last may and went out into the real world. It's tough to find the time and the money to play with the stang now. I guess I have less money because I moved 3000 miles across the country and became financially independent from my rents. It's worth it though. Good luck gettin everything and finishing the car! If you have anyother other questions don't hesitate to ask.

95 GT- Sold

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs