66 Project - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Region: Canada
66 Project

Hey Guys I recently acquired a 1966 Ford Mustang coupe that I plan on turning into a daily driver car for late spring to early fall. I finaly got enough cash together to start my own project instead of always helping others. The car was stock when I purchased it. 289 2bbl v8 4-speed tran. I have already sealed a deal on stroking a 302 block into a 347. I got a t5 out of the deal but have been looking into the Tremec TKO 5 speed trans cuz a basic t5 can only handle around 300-330lbs roughly of torque. Anyway, here is a pick of project

First thing I was working on is stripping out the interior and engine bay. I just got a lift and proper floor jack today so I will taking out my old 289 and tranny asap.

I found a few problem areas when I was actualy able to lift the beast and crawl under it. First was where the toe boards and floor pans meet.
At one point in time this rusted through on the drivers side and someone tried to fix it by patching it.
The dark area is where they patched it. It is to bad it is rusted through but is also an indication that my cowl is also rusted through. I few other problem areas I found was on the back Frame-rails where the leaf spring shackles attach:
They are almost rusted right through but they will have to be replaced for sure. I went over the floor pans and only noticed a few dime sized holes from rust
I kinda expected this when I got the car but not to this extent.
First thing I did was strip the front end off and get the fenders off to get a closer look at the cowl.
Here is a couple picks of the cowl:
Right now iam working on stripping the driver/passenger side doors and taking apart the dash to get to the firewall for a closer inspection of rust. I plan on fixing these problems but lack some experience in the field of cowls, frame rails and floor pans so I have been leaning towards a professional to do them but have also been talking to a friend that is a mechanic about repairing them myself. Iam experienced in welding but not in the field of autobody. I know MIG is useualy the choice in welding but I lack the knowledge of making sure it still keeps its strength after I cut it out and replace it.
I plan on cleaning up, sanding down and painting the engine bay when I pull the 289. I will have time because the 302 block needs to get machined first and I still need to order parts for it.
Iam planning on redueing the suspension and breaks as well when I get some spare time to hunt down parts. Probably going with full disk breaks and have been making a list for front and rear suspension upgrades.
If anyone has any insight on my rust issues it is greatly apreciated!
Thats one sweet ride.. Oh I meant the car!

Thongsaresweet is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > Classic Mustangs