Cruise control - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Cruise control

When did gm start putting cruise control in silverado's

Is it hard to install cruise control on a car that doesn't have it?
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Re: Cruise control

I'd say in the 70's or something. They moved the CC to the stalk in 84, so it was available before your model year silverado...must have been an option that didn't come on your truck.

I'd guess your truck has mechanical throttle linkage, so a full CC system will probably need to be installed, new stern, wiring, etc. The late model v8's came with the electronic throttle, so an aftermarket install would be way easier, probably replace the stern and run wires to the terminal block.

A local shop installs CC among other things, so it is possible. Just not sure how difficult it'd be to do on an older truck like that.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

GM has had it on certain models for quite a long time.

I went through a similar dilemma in my 02 V6 Mustang. Believe it or not you could order one without cruise and mine was one of those. I found a few shops to install a universal system but none could guarantee the work or that it wouldn't stick...so I chose to go without.

My 05 silverado work truck also doesn't have cruise as it's a base model work truck...I've just gotten used to it.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
My 05 silverado work truck also doesn't have cruise as it's a base model work truck...I've just gotten used to it.
I got used to it in my truck when it went out a few months after I bought the truck. I thought the vacuum pump was going bad so I just let it be. A few months ago I realized the vacuum line just had a hole worn in it. Not sure how I lived without it now, lol.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois

To be honest Ive never used the cruise control in any of the cars or trucks I or my family have.
SVTCOBRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:11 PM   #6
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

I rarely use it. At least not around here too much traffic all the time so it's easier not to use. I used CC some of the time going out to Mississippi. Maybe like 100 miles out of the whole trip. I usually don't take the mustang past 8 hours, or so.
Old 04-29-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

I used mine all the time. I love it. Especially if you're driving long distances, just set it and forget it. Using CC, I have no issues driving 15 hours essentially straight. I'll show up and the legs will be tired, but that's just from sitting for so long. The actual fatigue just simply isn't there. Granted, the bus driving probably helps a **** ton with that.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 06:36 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post
GM has had it on certain models for quite a long time.

I went through a similar dilemma in my 02 V6 Mustang. Believe it or not you could order one without cruise and mine was one of those. I found a few shops to install a universal system but none could guarantee the work or that it wouldn't stick...so I chose to go without.

A chick I used to get rides to college from has an 04 5spd...it doesn't have CC, but then it is the base model v6...only option it got was the spoiler.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Old 04-30-2010, 06:27 AM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

i had it before and never used it until i got my ticket. after that, i used it all the time. i set it to a reasonable level over the speed limit and stopped stressing.

then, i got my mazda 3 without cruise control and its been hard adjusting. it took a while to get back into the habit of checking/knowing my speed.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 06:43 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to fast64

I like setting the cruise and watching all the morons that don't know how to maintain a constant speed. 5 over is too slow for them so they blow by me, then a 1/4 mile later I pass them cause they are doing 5 under in the left lane, then they pass me again, and on and on while I never touch the brake or gas once.
Old 04-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

^Haha, ain't that the truth. I hate it when people do that though...because all the roads I drive on are single lanes, so I'll put the CC on, the person in front of me is going slower and I'm gaining so I turn off the CC, then the ******* speeds up for a while (enough to where I can put CC back on)...then it repeats...

Old 04-30-2010, 08:26 PM   #12
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64 View Post
I like setting the cruise and watching all the morons that don't know how to maintain a constant speed. 5 over is too slow for them so they blow by me, then a 1/4 mile later I pass them cause they are doing 5 under in the left lane, then they pass me again, and on and on while I never touch the brake or gas once.
I hate that too

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #13
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
^Haha, ain't that the truth. I hate it when people do that though...because all the roads I drive on are single lanes, so I'll put the CC on, the person in front of me is going slower and I'm gaining so I turn off the CC, then the ******* speeds up for a while (enough to where I can put CC back on)...then it repeats...
I like to use it but that happens all the time to me! People don't understand the magic behind it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion