The Boss is back!.... again? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-26-2006, 07:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Send a message via MSN to SilentNoise
The Boss is back!.... again?

I wonder if Ford will use the same marketing campaign that they used in 1982 when the 5.0L made it's return with, "THE BOSS IS BACK!"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangNet
In the upcoming September issue of Motor Trend, it is reported that the Boss Mustang is definitely a go for the model year before the Mustang redesign in 2008. That's right, folks - from what has been told, the Boss will be back. Motor Trend is claiming that the powerplant will have a 5.0 liter displacement and will produce 390 horsepower. Many Mustang fans are hopeful the 5.0 liter cammer engine will be used, but it is too early to tell at this point. Additionally, the Boss Mustang is supposed to get the Shelby GT500 suspension system and will also have some interior stripping for the sake of weight reduction.

The Boss, if all goes as planned, will be a great solution of compromise for those seeking some muscle value: it will be nearly as light as a base V6 model, more powerful than a GT, and cost less than the Shelby GT500. Let's hope the rubber meets the road and Ford brings the Boss back in fashion as they did the GT500.

EDIT:
Oops. This should be in the Concepts & Rumors section I suppose

Wolf Pack Car Club - Domestic V8 Performance Club (Edmonton, AB, Canada)

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -Robert X. Cringely
SilentNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2006, 07:31 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Aidan_04
Re: The Boss is back!.... again?

omfg.

what??

2:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGR View Post
^^^my fave V8 chick ^^^
Aidan_04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:32 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Ok.... I want one.

I take that back.... I will have one.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2006, 07:34 PM   #4
Regular

Region: Tennessee

Please don't **** this up Ford

Reddit
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 07:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Lets hope Ford gets this done, and does it right.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:51 PM   #6
Regular

2008 Boss Mustang To Return

Reddit
Old 07-26-2006, 09:36 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to dark Send a message via Yahoo to dark

@ N/A 5.0
Old 07-26-2006, 09:37 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

hahah i love that, where they say, interior stripping to lower weight... i guess they do listen to customer complaints.... when its everyones complaint lmao
Cajun JungleBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 11:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun JungleBoy View Post
hahah i love that, where they say, interior stripping to lower weight... i guess they do listen to customer complaints.... when its everyones complaint lmao
To a point..... I just think back to how massively positive the feedback was on the 2005 prototype.... then they changed a bunch of stuff and made the car boring (at least IMO). I also think back to 1994 when they offered that "special" Boss package that wasn't much more than some body decals and emblems.

As long as they actually DO SOMETHING with the car and make a real attempt at making the the Boss package something SPECIAL instead of just having a GTS version with a Boss stripe, I think they'll be making steps in the right direction. If they actually go through with it, and put the "5.0L Cammer" into a production vehicle I think I might actually have a heart attack......... but I know Ford and have well founded fears/doubts about the project, so I'm thinking I'll be safe.

"If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside." -Robert X. Cringely
Old 07-27-2006, 12:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

Guy on SVTP claims to know someone on the design team and says the Boss will have a 6.2L N/A engine making 390hp. "Without a doubt"

For what ever thats worth.
Riversnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 12:54 PM   #11
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversnake View Post
Guy on SVTP claims to know someone on the design team and says the Boss will have a 6.2L N/A engine making 390hp. "Without a doubt"

uh huh I am sure he does

Reddit
Old 07-27-2006, 12:58 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Send a message via AIM to Cajun JungleBoy Send a message via Yahoo to Cajun JungleBoy

i thought they were puttin ga 5.0L with 390.....
Old 07-27-2006, 12:59 PM   #13
Regular

I have updated this: 2008 Boss Mustang To Return to reflect the new rumor

Can you please provide me with the post makin this claim?

Reddit
Old 07-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #14
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversnake View Post

If they do bring the boss back, I can't see them doing anything else but making it a Boss 302. If they do well with it, it could boost sales on that $15k engine. If they do make the boss a 302 with 400ish hp, I think the GT500 sales will take a hit (assuming they are in the same years) as everyone will want the lighter version that is just begging for a power added.

If it is just stickers...then I don't see it taking off too well.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:09 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin View Post
If they do bring the boss back, I can't see them doing anything else but making it a Boss 302. If they do well with it, it could boost sales on that $15k engine. If they do make the boss a 302 with 400ish hp, I think the GT500 sales will take a hit (assuming they are in the same years) as everyone will want the lighter version that is just begging for a power added.

If it is just stickers...then I don't see it taking off too well.

I agree 100%. After seeing the fluke of the GT500, people will pay more attention to the BOSS, and if they see its just a stickered GT... it'll fall through.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:20 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Also from what others have said it will not be easy to get nearly 400hp/tq out of a N/A 5.0L motor... it can be done but it will raise the price.... and please dont show your lack of production car knowledge by saying the 5.0L cammer motor does it...
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:31 PM   #17
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
Also from what others have said it will not be easy to get nearly 400hp/tq out of a N/A 5.0L motor... it can be done but it will raise the price.... and please dont show your lack of production car knowledge by saying the 5.0L cammer motor does it...
Ok, I won't...I will let Ford show their lack of knowledge.

Ford Racing Performance Parts [New 2005 Ford Mustang Parts Program]

Quote:
The new Cammer 5.0-liter V-8 is available as a crate engine through the Ford Racing Performance Parts catalog. The Cammer V-8 is built from Ford's family of modular V-8 engines; including the 4.6-liter DOHC supercharged V-8 found in the SVT Mustang Cobra. The 5.0-liter Cammer crate engine produces 420 horsepower and 370 pound-feet of torque. It features electronic fuel injection and comes with "plug-and-play" electronics, including the wiring harness and engine computer, for easy installation in a variety of projects, from race cars to hot rods.
It will not be "a lot of work" for them to release a 390 hp N/A 5.0L cammer. With proper intake and exhaust and tune it can be over 400. With restrictive items, it can be at or near 400 and still meet regulatory requirements.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:35 PM   #18
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfin View Post
Ok, I won't...I will let Ford show their lack of knowledge.

Ford Racing Performance Parts [New 2005 Ford Mustang Parts Program]

It will not be "a lot of work" for them to release a 390 hp N/A 5.0L cammer. With proper intake and exhaust and tune it can be over 400. With restrictive items, it can be at or near 400 and still meet regulatory requirements.
own.t

Reddit
Old 07-27-2006, 01:38 PM   #19
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Not to mention...Steeda already pulls 350 hp out of a NA 281 3 valve....so I think it is pretty safe to say that Ford will be able to get upwards of 400 out of a 302 4 valve.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:40 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

im not talking about that it can or can not be done... im talking about it being done while holding true to all government regulations on emissions etc etc.... while maintaining reliability and drivability.... while not being super expensive.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 05:38 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Out of a 5.0L Cammer, I'd say they can do it. It will be pretty expensive, but will probably be cheaper to manufacture still than the GT500 engine (due to the blower and the 5.4).

Now, I don't think they'd ever make it with a good ol' pushrod 302. 400 hp N/A is really pushing it with them... It would require high revs and wouldn't ever pass emissions.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 10:58 AM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

We will see how they screw it up...There is now some talk of the redesign happening in `08 now...
Old 07-28-2006, 02:08 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Iowa
Send a message via AIM to jimmy_beaner Send a message via MSN to jimmy_beaner Send a message via Yahoo to jimmy_beaner

I would want a body kit added that makes it look like a Boss... so the Boss package is a whole deal. Special exhaust... the works. Also, I don't think the Shelby sales would take much of a hit. Sure, a little... but there's a difference in those that want a light weight performance car, the Boss, and the guys that want the top of the line collector car.. the Shelby. I think both would do well IF the Boss comes out like they're thinking right now.

SOLD! 2002 Sonic Blue GT, 5 Speed
Mods: MGW Short Throw Shifter, Mach 1 Brakes
Hypercoated Saleens, Eibach Pro-Kit, Bilstein shocks/struts, Borla Exhaust, Steeda Wing, 03 Cobra hood, Cobra mirrors, 03 Cobra Front Bumper, smoked fogs/headlights, 03 Cobra side skirts, Grill Delete, Mach C-pillars
jimmy_beaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2006, 03:30 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy_beaner View Post
I would want a body kit added that makes it look like a Boss... so the Boss package is a whole deal. Special exhaust... the works. Also, I don't think the Shelby sales would take much of a hit. Sure, a little... but there's a difference in those that want a light weight performance car, the Boss, and the guys that want the top of the line collector car.. the Shelby. I think both would do well IF the Boss comes out like they're thinking right now.
What, like this? Cervinis is making Boss packages now: https://cervinis.com/product.aspx?car=1&id=1160#9031

The thing about the Boss is that you won't see a "body kit" because the Boss isn't suppsed to have a body kit. The original was built for the Trans Am Racing series, so actually, the less, the better. I can see a hood scoop (hopefully the shaker system) and a chin spoiler, but that's about it........... maybe louvers as an option, but I doubt it. I'd like to see them get Cervinis (or whoever) to do a ducktail spoiler for them too because it looks killer on the cars too

Old 07-28-2006, 03:42 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentNoise View Post
What, like this? Cervinis is making Boss packages now: https://cervinis.com/product.aspx?car=1&id=1160#9031

The thing about the Boss is that you won't see a "body kit" because the Boss isn't suppsed to have a body kit. The original was built for the Trans Am Racing series, so actually, the less, the better. I can see a hood scoop (hopefully the shaker system) and a chin spoiler, but that's about it........... maybe louvers as an option, but I doubt it. I'd like to see them get Cervinis (or whoever) to do a ducktail spoiler for them too because it looks killer on the cars too

Damn right. That looks nice.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:51 PM   #26
Regular

I'd pimp the orange one around

Reddit
Old 07-28-2006, 04:00 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I'd pimp the orange one around
Yeah me to, but I would get the strips on the side, and the black paint on the hood of the yellow one.
Old 07-29-2006, 02:30 AM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

just to re-iterate Cervinis ownage of how the retro designs should have been done, i present you the GT500 that should have been.

its safe to say cervinis knows whats up when it comes to making a ugly donkey look like a sleek pony. *looks at sig* dam, im pretty much right on.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 05:24 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Damn straight man. I love the design team they've got over there because those are Mustang lovers..... they know what the car used to stand for, what it should stand for today.

That's why I was so glad that Ford commissioned Classic Design Concepts to do the shaker on the Mach 1s.... an aftermarket company that was in tune with what people actually wanted and how it should be done.

Old 07-29-2006, 02:48 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

In the magazine it looks like a GT with a paint job, a drop, and GT500 rims. Of course performance is more important than looks, but it would be nice if Ford gives it a nice body kit, and some rim that are distincly its own. Maybe that would raise the cost though
Old 07-29-2006, 06:40 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Heres the Motor Trend article.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	File0002.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	933.8 KB
ID:	13983   Click image for larger version

Name:	File0003.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	13984  

Old 08-09-2006, 04:21 PM   #32
RGR
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to RGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
im not talking about that it can or can not be done... im talking about it being done while holding true to all government regulations on emissions etc etc.... while maintaining reliability and drivability.... while not being super expensive.

They can do all that. Except for the "not super expensive" part, but since when did they
care about the sticker price??? 300 BHP (not RWHP) 3.8's are not hard to do at all, and pass smog...
OEM level reliability would not be hard with a few well-placed parts like forged rods and
pistons. Doesn't even take a wild cam. A 4V 5.0 could pretty easily hit those #'s
and be mass produced. But they will want a small fortune for it! BUT, also,
mark my word, it could be done affordably but they will not make it so...
Another $500 per engine produced and they could make it bullet-proof.

You have so many conditions in your statement that you could never be wrong!
Quote:
...while not being super expensive...
They could but they won't

Another thing, forget pushrods forever from Ford production cars.
They learnt their lesson when they stayed with the flathead too long,
now they are going to leave GM with pushrods sticking out of there ying-yangs
while they do it all high-teck with OHC and DOHC. That pushrod 5.0 rumor is
just wishful thinking when people heard 5.0

PPS: 100 BHP/Liter has been done in production vehicles already, and more...
Honduh's S2000 was right at 2hp/c.i. (120HP/Liter) which is like a 600 BHP 5.0
so 400 should be a walk in the park! Not cheap but very doable.
RGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 05:30 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

Just so you all know, I actually SAW one driving around a few weeks ago. It still had the stickers on it (dealership stickers) so I assume it was some guys joy riding in it to see how it handled. It's VERY eye catching and VERY ****ing awsome to see up close. Go check them out when your dealership has one, you'll fall in love with it instantly.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:07 PM   #34
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

You saw a boss? They haven't built any yet and haven't for sure decided yet. I am sure there are dealers putting boss sticker packages on, but I don't think it was a real new boss...unless it was an older one.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion