need engine advice - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
need engine advice

When installing pistons and rods when i get one in the cylinder should i go ahead and turn the block over and put the rod cap on or should i get pistons one and two in and then put the rod caps on or should I put in all the pistons then cap all of them at one time?
upton7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: need engine advice

are you doing this now? or just asking questions for later plans? If you don't know the answer to this question. you need to let someone who knows what they are doing build your engine as it will never stay together, and you will be throwing money away. building an engine is a very exact thing. if not done correctly it will never hold up.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I'm already doing it and I do know what i'm doing. I can get everything put together just wanted to know what the best method would be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

I know personally I would never want to build my own engine, far far to many little things that can cause the build to mess up then you are out the money and having to pay someone to redo your mistakes... or you dont learn and remake the mistakes and your back where you started right again and also negative money from doing it right to begin with lol.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 08:42 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
are you doing this now? or just asking questions for later plans? If you don't know the answer to this question. you need to let someone who knows what they are doing build your engine as it will never stay together, and you will be throwing money away. building an engine is a very exact thing. if not done correctly it will never hold up.
Exactly

Test install pistons

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:40 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

well does neone know should I go ahead and and put the number one and two pistons in and torque them down or do one at a time.

(i appreciate your guys' warning but I do know what i'm doing just a simple answer will be fine if you've never done a rebuild please save your post)
Old 05-04-2010, 11:25 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

When the cap is in place, thread on the nuts and thread them hand tight with a ratchet.When I've build engines I'd do one side at a time When the first side of your block has all of it's pistons in and rotating smoothly, you can rotate the block to the other side once there all in and hand tight go back and torque to spec

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:50 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

The above post it correct. Only other thing to add is that you guide the piston rod down the bore so you don't score the bore wall. Also the piston rings need to be sized and clocked correctly. If this is not done exactly correct you WILL have blow by. That's why I was saying that the question you were asking is one of the easiest parts of building and engine and if you don't know the answer to that you might have wanted to start with something easier. You still have harder things to do, like sizing the bearings and timing the cams.

I'm not trying to cut you down. I just don't want to see you wasteing a lot of money.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
The above post it correct. Only other thing to add is that you guide the piston rod down the bore so you don't score the bore wall. Also the piston rings need to be sized and clocked correctly. If this is not done exactly correct you WILL have blow by. That's why I was saying that the question you were asking is one of the easiest parts of building and engine and if you don't know the answer to that you might have wanted to start with something easier. You still have harder things to do, like sizing the bearings and timing the cams.

I'm not trying to cut you down. I just don't want to see you wasteing a lot of money.
and I appreciate that I do have the rings in place the reason I had to ask that question is because i've been stressing and going over the harder parts over and over and over and over again in my head I could have definatly figured it out my question now is when i drive it down in the cylinder I'm gonna get the rod as straight as I can put if as i'm driving it down it gets maybe a little off is it ok to twist the rod just a little bit so it lines up?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion