Glad I don't live in Ohio - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2010, 10:39 AM   #1
Blogger
Blogger

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via MSN to rickf73 Send a message via Skype™ to rickf73
Glad I don't live in Ohio

Now you can get a speeding ticket if the Cops sees you going fast, even without a radar.

Police officer's estimate good enough for speeding ticket | The Columbus Dispatch
rickf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 10:45 AM   #2
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom
Re: Glad I don't live in Ohio

It's not just Ohio that does that....officer estimates are usually enough to stick in a number of states. I know NY is one as well....

However, I say the same thing about Ohio every time I drive through that state going to NY....takes almost a 1/3 of the travel time just to get through that damn state.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:07 AM   #3

That is insane...I can't believe they allow that.
UPRDanielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Cops are trained to estimate speed when going through the academy. It isn't just billy bob out there guesstimating a speed....they are actually taught how to do it and must be able to estimate within 5 mph in order to pass. I forgot how many speeds they must get right, but when my friend went through the sheriff's academy in NY, I want to say he had to get 7 or 8 out of 10 speeds within 5 mph in order to pass the test.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:18 AM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

its not about their ability to estimate speeds... its about the power that is transitioning from the people and documented records to the cop's personal judgment. besides, even with a 70% accuracy rate, there will be a ton of people who will be unfairly and unconstitutionally ticketed... and thats if the cop stays truthful/fair.

all laws that can be abused will be abused someday by someone. its just a matter of time. thats one reason why the AZ law scares the crap out of me. we are basically handing over the fourth amendment in order to fix immigration... which it wont... and then we'll just find ourselves surrounded by immigrants and without the fourth amendment.

its like we are becoming a police state overnight. police can ID you just with suspicion, ticket you by estimating your speed, they can record you but you cant record them, don't have to read you miranda rights, speed cameras at stoplights, etc. its not about left or right either - this is an up and down issue. people are so worried about liberals and conservatives, they dont see that things are shifting downward to totalitarianism.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiarumas View Post
its not about their ability to estimate speeds... its about the power that is transitioning from the people and documented records to the cop's personal judgment. besides, even with a 70% accuracy rate, there will be a ton of people who will be unfairly and unconstitutionally ticketed... and thats if the cop stays truthful/fair.

all laws that can be abused will be abused someday by someone. its just a matter of time. thats one reason why the AZ law scares the crap out of me. we are basically handing over the fourth amendment in order to fix immigration... which it wont... and then we'll just find ourselves surrounded by immigrants and without the fourth amendment.

its like we are becoming a police state overnight. police can ID you just with suspicion, ticket you by estimating your speed, they can record you but you cant record them, don't have to read you miranda rights, speed cameras at stoplights, etc. its not about left or right either - this is an up and down issue. people are so worried about liberals and conservatives, they dont see that things are shifting downward to totalitarianism.
I definitely agree.
UPRDanielle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:40 PM   #7
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

My brother got picked up in Virgina that way. The officer claimed he had passed her. Her car was completely unmarked. She estimated based on her speed he was going approximately 10 over the speed limit.
In Georgia they wont get you like that they have to be visible within 50 feet and an unmarked car must be followed by a marked car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion