Considering an 04 Ranger - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-04-2010, 11:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Considering an 04 Ranger

Well the time has come...as much as I'd like to see another mustang in the driveway, a winter/practical car must come first.

I'm looking at Ford Rangers...I found an 04 4x4 with the 4.0 SOHC in SONIC BLUE

Anyone have any experience with them? Opinions, comments, yay or nay on this truck. I'm leaning towards the midsize truck rather than the full size.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 08:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
Re: Considering an 04 Ranger

back when Ford had cheap leases, I leased 3 of them over the course of 6 years (supercab 4.0 4x4). I never had any troubles with any of them, they go thru the snow well, and are pretty easy to drive around. The only thing I noticed is that the gas mileage is not much better then my full-size F150. I even towed a car trailer a couple of times with the supercab version as they are rated to tow 5000 lbs (although you have to be easy and cautious when doing it). They are easier to park and move around than a full-size. So, overall I was happy with them.
John@NQS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yah I did some research and it seems they don't get the best gas mileage for the size. Maybe 20 on the highway if you're lucky...but for what I want to spend a newer Ranger with decent miles works. I'd have to get too old of a F150 with high miles for what I want to spend.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

I never had any problems with mine while I had it. I replaced a unit bearing and a starter on my buddy's Ranger a few months ago, but its an '00 with a bunch of miles. Starter was cheap, but a Timken unit bearing was almost $400. A Chinese piece was $150. I get about the same highway MPGs in my Cummins as the Ranger and I love having a big truck, but that's just personal preference.
Old 06-05-2010, 05:26 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

I had to work on those things every day when I was a tech.. Not that they were unreliable, but they have to be one of my least favorite ford vehicles - I would drive a focus daily over one, given I didn't have to haul anything around.. If I did, I would take an exploder
Old 06-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to sonic04edge

Nice choice man. Ranger is a good little truck and will serve you well as a winter ride and light duty. However ditch those tires asap and get you a real set of tires. Only real warning I will give you is the *** end is light. So throw some sand bags in the back if you deal with snow a lot. If you have any questions just hit me up.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
sonic04edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to fast64

One more thing to think about is if you drive around with 3-4 people very often, it SUCKS. My dad has a Colorado, its not a bad little truck either. They are available as a 4 door, but the bed is SHORT if you get that option.
Old 06-05-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana

Looks like a nice looking ride. How much are they asking if you dont mind? Im partial to the F-150's and bigger trucks but I agree you should get something that would be reliable with lesser miles. Plus it matches the Stang. Thats the best part
tigerfan2771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
Anyone have any experience with them? Opinions, comments, yay or nay on this truck. I'm leaning towards the midsize truck rather than the full size.
I've had 2 exploders - never again. Before you sign, go test drive a Tacoma. I'd be willing to bet you'd like their V6 and better ride over a ranger. And yes, I have an '08 I bought new. Its definitely a keeper.

Murph's Glassback!
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic04edge View Post
Nice choice man. Ranger is a good little truck and will serve you well as a winter ride and light duty. However ditch those tires asap and get you a real set of tires. Only real warning I will give you is the *** end is light. So throw some sand bags in the back if you deal with snow a lot. If you have any questions just hit me up.
Yah I'll definitely be doing some mods...tires will be the first Thanks for the heads up on the weight, good to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast64 View Post
One more thing to think about is if you drive around with 3-4 people very often, it SUCKS. My dad has a Colorado, its not a bad little truck either. They are available as a 4 door, but the bed is SHORT if you get that option.
Yah 98% of the time it'll just be me...to work and back. My friend has a mid 90's 5spd with the extended cab, with the jump seats...kinda sucked sitting back there but I won't have that problem this time around

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerfan2771 View Post
Looks like a nice looking ride. How much are they asking if you dont mind? Im partial to the F-150's and bigger trucks but I agree you should get something that would be reliable with lesser miles. Plus it matches the Stang. Thats the best part
It's at another dealership for ~11k Blue Book is around 13.5K, and my salesman (friend) at the local Ford dealership will get it for me and get the price knocked down as much as possible. Oh yeah, SB FTGDMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
I've had 2 exploders - never again. Before you sign, go test drive a Tacoma. I'd be willing to bet you'd like their V6 and better ride over a ranger. And yes, I have an '08 I bought new. Its definitely a keeper.
Not a toyota guy...not that I extremely hate the company , but you'll see me dead before owning an import model. I know a couple people who have them and they aren't overly satisfied, but everyone's different.

Old 06-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #11
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

A pickup sometimes sucks in the snow. It is a 4x4 but you are still gonna have that light rear end issue even in the rain. I have a 2001 f-150 crew cab but my daily is a 08 escape,perfect size in my opinion and gets great gas mileage. I'm thinkin about gettin another one after the truck is dead which won't be for awhile but that's how much I like that little escape.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
A pickup sometimes sucks in the snow. It is a 4x4 but you are still gonna have that light rear end issue even in the rain. I have a 2001 f-150 crew cab but my daily is a 08 escape,perfect size in my opinion and gets great gas mileage. I'm thinkin about gettin another one after the truck is dead which won't be for awhile but that's how much I like that little escape.
Well, the mustang does pretty well in the rain (good hard downpours with hydroplaning) and it has sumicrapmos for tires, so I better not have any problems with a 4x4 truck in the rain, lol.

I always sort of thought the smaller SUV's like the escape, rav4, etc. would be dicey in the northwood's snow/ice because they're sort of top heavy and awkward. I see more people with SUV's in the ditches than I do cars and trucks.

Either way, I'll put some weight in the bed for winter...it just makes sense to do so.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:14 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03 View Post
I always sort of thought the smaller SUV's like the escape, rav4, etc. would be dicey in the northwood's snow/ice because they're sort of top heavy and awkward. I see more people with SUV's in the ditches than I do cars and trucks.
They're not dicey at all when using 4x4. Pick ups are useless in the snow unless you have 4x4, then no worries. As for the ditch riders, it's over-confidence, not the vehicles that put them there.

Murph's Glassback!
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:43 AM   #14
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murph View Post
They're not dicey at all when using 4x4. Pick ups are useless in the snow unless you have 4x4, then no worries. As for the ditch riders, it's over-confidence, not the vehicles that put them there.

I agree 100% that this is a driver problem. I had a 95 (I think) suzuki 4dr for a rental about
More than 10 ys agop when I wa living in Illinois and I beat the **** outta that thing in the snow without the 4 wheel drive on,I'm talkin about plowin over snowmen in peoples front lawns and going to school yards and tearin **** up in a open field. Never one was I worried about it rollin. Now this was back in the day so I would never do **** like that again,I think I was maybe 22 or 23 then and when I look back at that I think man what a ******* for tearin through someones front yard to plow over a snowman! I will always think back and laugh my *** off though.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:46 PM   #15
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford

I haven't great things about the Ranger. However, I see a ton on the road. The Tacoma is a nice pick-up but it's expensive. P/U's are a dying breed with the 1tons moving in for a couple grand more. Toyota and Ford seem to have the most P/U's out there. The Escape is a great car as well as the Mazda Tribute (same car mostly). Subaru makes a great car for the snow from what I've heard. I know you'd rather have a domestic. Look at Mercury you may get a good deal on the SUV the (mariner)?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion