Saleen Camaro in the Horizon! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 10-22-2006, 01:05 PM   #1
Legacy Member
Region: Michigan
Send a message via AIM to Falcon Send a message via MSN to Falcon Send a message via Yahoo to Falcon
Saleen Camaro in the Horizon!

Road and Track

Car Crazy: Are you going to bump up the horsepower on your Saleen Mustang cars when Ford adds horsepower in 2009?

Steve Saleen: Yes we are, I just talked to Alan Mulally (Ford Motor Co. Chief Executive) about the 2009 facelift year and what kind of added power the GT and Cobra will get.

CC: What kind of added power did he talk about for the 09 model year?

Saleen: Nothing extreme, it's only a facelift year, but enough to make my current engine upgrades obsolete. They're aiming for 350 horsepower out of the V8 in the GT, and they're only adding about ten or fifteen horsepower to the GT500.

CC: Can you give us an idea of what you'll do to for your Saleen models?

Saleen: We don't know yet exactly, but we've had many meetings on what we want. We're aiming to get around 385 horsepower out of the S281 3 Valve with around 390 lb-ft of torque. The S281 Supercharged model will get 500 horses even with around 460 lb-ft of torque, and expect about a fifteen horsepower increase on the (S281) Extreme Mustang over the 2007 model (that's 565 horsepower and 535 lb-ft of torque).

CC: That's a big power increase on all cars, are the prices going to change?

Saleen: Not counting inflation, the prices should stay the same.

CC: Are the rumors of you teaming up with GM true or false?

Saleen: My team just worked with GM last month on the Transformers movie. We had such a good relationship with them that we are infact going to team up with them on future projects?

CC: What future projects?

Saleen: Well the Camaro project is one of them, I've watched from a distance while they've been putting the production model together. I think it would be foolish on our part if we didn't get a part of that action (Steve laughs).

CC: So are you going to do your own versions of the new Camaro?

Saleen: It's not legally official right now, but that's what we're hoping for.

CC: What kind of upgrades will you make, have you seen the engine GM is using in the Camaro?

Saleen: I hope I don't get in trouble with GM for saying this, but they're using a 6.2 liter 450 horsepower engine for the premium V8 in the 2009 Camaro and the base Corvette. The base V8 will probably be a detuned version of the same 6.2. So we'll just upgrade the 6.2 liter V8 to Saleen level specifications. We're going to upgrade the 6.2 liter V8 if we're given the legal chance by GM. Our base model should have around 485 horsepower, and expect our Extreme Supercharged Camaro to have over 600 horsepower.

So a Saleen Camaro nice...and GM to use a 6.2L 450hp engine in the camaro...even nicer. Cant wait to see what Saleen would do to a camaro.

1999 Trans Am WS6
Full Stainless Magnaflow Exhaust, Stainless Longtubes/Off Road Y-Pipe, QTP E-Cutout, HP Tuners, Super Sucker Ram Air Kit, BMR Tunnel Brace/Driveshaft Safety Loop, Hotchkis Panhard Bar, Hypertech 160 Thermostat, CF Whisper Air Lid, Corvette FRCs, K&N, !AIR, !EGR
Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 01:48 PM   #2
Legacy Member
Region: Alabama
Re: Saleen Camaro in the Horizon!

Interesting. Next time I am in Troy visiting, I need to stop by the building. I passed it every day, I worked pretty much right across the street.

Originally Posted by Brent
Nothing is ever official until its official
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: South Carolina

God Damn these stupid *** Ford tuners. I can wait to see a ****ing Lingenfelter Mustang. Roush is doing about the same thing as Saleen. Roush is building the these little FWD NHRA cars for GM, and some other concept car.

JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 03:53 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Texas

roush pontiac = nay
roush viper i think is actually pretty cool
"The LORD shall judge the people:judge me, O Lord, according to my righteousness, and according to mine integrity that is in me." PSALM 7:8

In Texas? check out
timpryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

I want to see what Saleen can do with a 'maro. Should be pretty good...
DarkShadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion