Best Gas Mileage / Power Car - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-30-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas
Best Gas Mileage / Power Car

SO I was browsing the internet today looking at pricing and gas mileage of cars using the various top ten lists and online car dealerships (just out of curiousity... not with the intent of buying). I was forming my own opinions about them, but I came back to ME wondering...

1. What (perhaps in your opinion since its relative) is the best gas mileage car that doesn't sacrifice too much power?

2. What good gas mileage car would you not mind driving?

3. Since hybrids with 45+ MPG usually cost more (low 20k), do you personally feel that they are worth it?

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2007, 11:38 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Re: Best Gas Mileage / Power Car

lol I would say I'm pretty jealous at the fact that my friend is driving around in his Evo and he's getting better gas mileage than me when he drives it without punching it everywhere.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:48 AM   #3
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
lol I would say I'm pretty jealous at the fact that my friend is driving around in his Evo and he's getting better gas mileage than me when he drives it without punching it everywhere.
thats kinda what sparked my interest in the research...

my v6 isnt that bad of gas mileage... but my dad's honda can go like a month without refilling. the downside... the car looks like a POS and accelerates like a bicycle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2007, 12:10 PM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Understandable, but how nice would it be to have pretty good gas mileage and then be able to have 300 hp at your will?

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 12:46 PM   #5
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

What do you consider good gas mileage? Do you do more city or highway driving?

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:03 PM   #6
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
Yeah, because to me, 20mpg is great gas mileage haha.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:34 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkuzLS1 View Post
its not for me... i was just wondering what other people thought. aka tell me/us what YOU think is the best car for MPG/power.

my personal feeling is that anything near or around 25 city and 30+ highway is pretty decent gas MPG. anything over that, in my opinion, is sacrificing too much power while the price you would potentially save on gas is added to the sticker.

for example, honda civic hybrid is pretty slow... saves you 1k a year in gas (estimated), but costs 5~6k more making the whole save money from gas thing obselete... aka making the high MPG thing redundant... unless of course you are trying to save the environment (pfff).

my personal opinion is that the best bet for mixture between economy car without sacrificing too much power is the corrolla, rsx, and dun dun dun... civic.

but off the bat i think the corrolla... despite the low price tag.. is too ugly to drive.

so in my opinion, depending on how much passing power you want in your econ car, the civic and rsx are pretty friggin close (pricing is similar due to the RSX being used only).

Old 07-30-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

I loved the mileage I got with the TA. Dynoed 317 to the wheels, ran an 8.5@84 in the 1/8th, and averaged 20-21mpg on a typical fillup. If I was out doing interstate for the whole tank, it would get in the 25-27 range.

I like turtles.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to crazeflier07

Some company built an S10 that was electric and it destroyed some high horsepower car I forget which one on the quarter mile.
~Jon~

Sinister Six
1998 3.8L V6
Done So Far:
~CAI, True dual exhaust, UDPs, MGW Shifter, H&R springs, Stage 1 & 2 supension kit, performance rotors & pads, steel braided lines, 1 inch rear spacers, A.R. Rebel 17x9s with BFG rubber! :thumbs2:
crazeflier07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

I think i would probably have to go with a Mazda 3...with the 2.3L ford engine in them, they are making 160ish hp and getting i think something like 27 and 33 in city and highway, respectively...

by the way, they dont make rsx's anymore, they havent in almost 2 years now, which i learned last week...i always like the rsx too...oh well....
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:34 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

for the extra you have to invest in electric cars ... you spend about 5 years paying that off with the gas savings you get... so they are not worth the investment yet.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:43 PM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
for the extra you have to invest in electric cars ... you spend about 5 years paying that off with the gas savings you get... so they are not worth the investment yet.
The more highway driving you do, the less savings you see, too. So depending on your commute it might take longer than that. Or, you may never see an actual savings.

I like turtles.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:43 PM   #13
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to sonic04edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT View Post
I think i would probably have to go with a Mazda 3...with the 2.3L ford engine in them, they are making 160ish hp and getting i think something like 27 and 33 in city and highway, respectively...

by the way, they dont make rsx's anymore, they havent in almost 2 years now, which i learned last week...i always like the rsx too...oh well....
I was going to say the same thing. The 2.3 makes 156hp and gets 26city/33hwy. However i'd probably be willing to step down to the 2.0 with 148hp and 28city/36hwy. Almost the same power, but even more mpg. They drive better then a lot of cars i've driven. I'd even be willing to call them the poor mans BMW.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
sonic04edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 07:24 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

yeah, i found out while researching. it was a decent car... wasn't missed apparently haha.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:54 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

If we are talking of any car then United Nuclear has prototyped a '94 Corvette to run on Hydrogen which gets about 350 mile range between fill ups. They have developed kits for Chevy, Ford, Dodge and Mitsubishi SUVs but the price tag for them could reach $10G. Then again the kit comes with it's own Hydrogen fuel generator too so fuel cost is next to zero.

Ford has advertised that most of their vehicles get 25mpg or better.

I will admit that the 40mpg range is nice since that's a one way trip to school for me. But I hate those smug a-holes on the highway in their piruses. I enjoy passing them much more.

IMHO I don't think Hybrids are worth what they claim to be. They still use fuel and are only really delaying global warming. If the aim was to be better a lot more R&D could go into Hemp or Hydrogen Fuel Cell for instance. Instead the market saw a quick fix/market and advertised the hell out of it, and people fell for it. Then again, generally speaking, people are the ones who have to change. Advancement, I feel, is a stone's throw away but with NIMBY and ignorance people will not change habit but go with whatever people tell them and jump on the band wagon.

My 2ยข
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:13 PM   #16
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

I'd say a C6 Vette if you do a lot of highway driving. 400 hp and 28 mpg is not too shabby. Stupid Ford and their modular motors.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 08:17 PM   #17
Legacy Member
Legacy

yeah, i agree... hybrids are a scam. they dont save you money, they dont really save the world, and they will eventually cost more to repair when **** starts hitting the fan (fuel cells aren't cheap).

i think if the world wants to reduce the cost of gas and stuff... we should begin with limiting bottle water use and work from there.

Old 07-30-2007, 09:28 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MonteCitan

*** I KNOW this has nothing to do with 'what is the best performance/MPG but... here's a little input:

no where's near 300 HP... but my mom's passat ... (yeah.. VEE DUB FTW lmao..) ahem... 1.8T... 1 bar GIAC chip (the one with the computer selection turned performance setting..) 14.*** PSI better shift points/et al... CAI and high flow cat.. around town gets 24-26 MPG, and highway we've seen up to 34 -- that was all highway though... from full to empty.. requires premium, too..

My regal is usually around 28 MPG on the highway... 18-21 city, depending on how much stop and go I see.. THIS TAKES premium though... Compared to my 02 GT... took premium.. I typically got 22 MPG... regardless of around town or all highway driving...

---- Best performance to MPG... I would say diesel..
Best example I can think of.. a jetta/etc TDI. .. chipped = rediculous amounts of torque to the wheels and 38-40 MPG highway
Old 07-30-2007, 09:31 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

^Most German cars do not do well chipped though.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 07-30-2007, 09:38 PM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

meaning MPG wise? or reliability wise?
Old 07-30-2007, 10:03 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Reliability wise. I know two people personally and have heard quite a few others where their car became junk after being chipped. It does seem mostly Volkswagen/Audi. I looked a bit into the two for this topic and while I like both VWs are a bit girly and Audi is a bit more of a luxury car so the price might be less worth it. Either of the two I feel would stand well in this thread.
Quote:
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

Old 07-30-2007, 10:18 PM   #22
Legacy Member
Legacy

Our passat has been chipped for 2 years and 45k miles, the car just rolled 100k.. no issues so far...

I have a friend up at school with an 87 5000 TQ.. 2.2 liter 5 cylinder... runs 22 PSI.. 13s@100 .. his car has 268k miles on original motor/trans/front and rear diffs..
Old 07-30-2007, 10:33 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

New Impala with just over 300hp and with cylinder shut off technology gets high 20's I believe.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:46 PM   #24
Legacy Member
Legacy

I had a brand new *** '07 Impala rental not too long ago. Unfortunately, I only ran it 1/4 tank at a time. Since that's how much gas it had when I got it, and I had to bring it back with that much in it. So I never did any fuel economy calculations. That would have been an interesting experiment.

I like turtles.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:52 AM   #25
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonteCitan View Post

no where's near 300 HP... but my mom's passat ... (yeah.. VEE DUB FTW lmao..) ahem... 1.8T... 1 bar GIAC chip (the one with the computer selection turned performance setting..) 14.*** PSI better shift points/et al... CAI and high flow cat.. around town gets 24-26 MPG, and highway we've seen up to 34 -- that was all highway though... from full to empty.. requires premium, too..
concur. my girl just got a 1.8t Jetta. quite a step up from the pos beetle she had. pretty quick little car and its got great mileage. i told her to save up like ~2k cause i want to mod it.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic04edge View Post
I was going to say the same thing. The 2.3 makes 156hp and gets 26city/33hwy. However i'd probably be willing to step down to the 2.0 with 148hp and 28city/36hwy. Almost the same power, but even more mpg. They drive better then a lot of cars i've driven. I'd even be willing to call them the poor mans BMW.
Quote:
the RSX-S or new Civic SI would be my first choices if i wanted economy without sacraficing the ability to pass traffic or get to 80 by the end of the onramp. and yes, i just said that. both versions make 200hp (last year of the RSX-S made what, 215hp), and get awesome mileage. and theyre nice too, the interior of the rsx is one of my favorites ever.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:12 AM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
Reliability wise. I know two people personally and have heard quite a few others where their car became junk after being chipped. It does seem mostly Volkswagen/Audi. I looked a bit into the two for this topic and while I like both VWs are a bit girly and Audi is a bit more of a luxury car so the price might be less worth it. Either of the two I feel would stand well in this thread.
meh...

the jetta.. maybe.

the gti... definitely not girly. another great gas mileage / power car. every time i would hear the turbo, i would be reminded that it wasnt a chick car.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:34 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

buy two cars, a cheap *** gas saver and something nice
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:53 AM   #28
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF

a bike 0-60 in under 4 seconds and over 40mpg

but seriously...umm, i guess the new altima is ok...the v6 is 270 hp and 19/27 with the manual tranny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 08:55 AM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

270 horses and 19/27 isn't very good. My TA made alot more than that and was EPA'd at 18/26.

I like turtles.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:55 AM   #30
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to KyleUSAF Send a message via MSN to KyleUSAF

oh well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkshadow
I could say nothing for my complete awe. He then. confidantly, purchased the gallon.
KyleUSAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:26 AM   #31
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Virginia
Send a message via AIM to oaktonarcher

i drive a 2007 focus 5 spd daily that i picked up for 11.4k with 6,100 miles on it and i get about 330~ miles on a tank (mixed driving). and its a 12 gallon tank i believe, its been great for me.

and the most suprising thing to me, is that it doesnt mind 90 miles per hour. ive never had an issue reaching good highway speeds at all, the things pretty damn quick for what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You still have a quote in your sig from a guy that hasn't signed in in almost 2 years
www.DeltaArmsCo.com
oaktonarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 12:59 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to sonic04edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonarcher View Post
i drive a 2007 focus 5 spd daily that i picked up for 11.4k with 6,100 miles on it and i get about 330~ miles on a tank (mixed driving). and its a 12 gallon tank i believe, its been great for me.

and the most suprising thing to me, is that it doesnt mind 90 miles per hour. ive never had an issue reaching good highway speeds at all, the things pretty damn quick for what it is.
Focus's aren't bad little cars. Specially if it's the zx3. However I still prefer its sibling the mazda3.
1998 Ford Ranger-The DD
sonic04edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 01:07 PM   #33
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic04edge View Post
Focus's aren't bad little cars. Specially if it's the zx3. However I still prefer its sibling the mazda3.
Foci.

I like turtles.
Old 07-31-2007, 03:36 PM   #34
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Virginia
Send a message via AIM to oaktonarcher

i love my foci, and yes its a nice car, and its a ZX3. black on black ZX3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
You still have a quote in your sig from a guy that hasn't signed in in almost 2 years
www.DeltaArmsCo.com
oaktonarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 03:40 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oaktonarcher View Post
i love my foci, and yes its a nice car, and its a ZX3. black on black ZX3.
Focus... Unless you've got two of 'em.

I like turtles.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion