Was cash for clunkers really a good idea? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Was cash for clunkers really a good idea?

I know that it was in 2009 but I was looking through some Mustang restoration videos and there was a video with a cash for clunker Mustang. It just breaks my heart to see a perfectly good Mustang, or any car, get crushed or shredded. It was a bad idea, it messed up the economy by taking out alot of used cars that keep the economy in line. There was even a Maserati that was cashed in as a clunker. Tell me what you think, was cash for clunkers a good or bad idea?
BoLtThEhUsKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Other
Re: Was cash for clunkers really a good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLtThEhUsKy View Post
I know that it was in 2009 but I was looking through some Mustang restoration videos and there was a video with a cash for clunker Mustang. It just breaks my heart to see a perfectly good Mustang, or any car, get crushed or shredded. It was a bad idea, it messed up the economy by taking out alot of used cars that keep the economy in line. There was even a Maserati that was cashed in as a clunker. Tell me what you think, was cash for clunkers a good or bad idea?
Made my Foxes worth that much more money, so yeah, fine with me.
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Horrible idea!!!
A lot of good cars were killed...it was so sad

Adrian
2001 Mustang

--AM CAI, BBK Headers, Dual exhaust, Billet grille, hood and side scoops, Sequential tail lights,
AM Headlight covers, Fog lights, Chin spoiler, H&R Lowering Springs, KYB Shocks and Struts

January 2012 StangAlley ROTM
Camo1967Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2011, 05:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

Bad idea but I know for a fact that any dealersthat took cars with good parts at least took them off. I dont think they were toldto do that but I know ofa lot of parts from cash for clunkers out their.
Still no ok to trash the cars they did by I guess its to late to fight that.
gixxer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 06:21 AM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Well it was a government funded mass crushing. It took cars that were affordable to some right out of their hands. I will bet money that the automakers helped subsidize the whole thing so it took cars that lower income families could afford and it now forces to buy new or newer,thereby tying them into payments and helping the economy upswing. They use some bull**** excuse that it takes polluting older cars off the road in favour of vehicles that pollute less. BULL****. What it does is helps automakers sell more new cars. And now puts vehicles out of reach for lower income people and families. They did it here too. Any car older than 1994. Before obd2. Older vehicles as long as they are in a good state of tune do not pollute as much as the propaganda would like you to believe. Honestly that whole exercise helped separate the gap between the classes even further. Jmo

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:32 AM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Louisiana
Cash for clunkers was just a way to boost American car sales. Bull**** on emissions and all that. Don't get too upset about good cars being trashed. I'm sure there were very few mustangs camaros corvettes or other popular cars being scrapped. Most of them were 80's & 90's junk that nobody will miss. It also kept an availability of American steel instead of imported steel. It was just an attempt to boost sales for the big 3. Plain and simple.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:35 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alscobra
Cash for clunkers was just a way to boost American car sales. Bull**** on emissions and all that. Don't get too upset about good cars being trashed. I'm sure there were very few mustangs camaros corvettes or other popular cars being scrapped. Most of them were 80's & 90's junk that nobody will miss. It also kept an availability of American steel instead of imported steel. It was just an attempt to boost sales for the big 3. Plain and simple.
Plus 1.....I wonder if the automakers lobbyists greased any palms to set that whole plan in motion.

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

Plus 1.....I wonder if the automakers lobbyists greased any palms to set that whole plan in motion.

PETOM.biz TTT
I guarantee they did. Attempt to dig themselves out of bail out money also. Remember what caused all of this was fuel prices and that need for foreign oil.
Alscobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

we junked a 89 fox 5.0 convertable with a 5sp. had 50k on it. bout wanted to cry it was in good shape. red with the white interior and white (ugly *** color combo thou). but 95% of the cars that were cashed in on that program were absolute junk, i can promise that. just look at the list, the goverment had the list posted a while back. most of them were suv's and old *** trucks, big v8 sedans and what not.

March 2010 Mustangevolution Mustang of the Month 1st eva biatch!
DarkShadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer007 View Post
Bad idea but I know for a fact that any dealersthat took cars with good parts at least took them off. I dont think they were toldto do that but I know ofa lot of parts from cash for clunkers out their.
Still no ok to trash the cars they did by I guess its to late to fight that.
That was completely illegal and if a dealer got caught they risked alot. My dealership at the time refused to let anyone touch those cars and locked them in a seperate gate b/c the fees/fines/penalties attached to that risk. I wish I could have used some parts from those!

BTW you guys know what the most common cash for clunkers swap out was?

Old F150 for New F150

These were avgeraged out to net a total of an increase totalling 1MPG avg.
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 11:06 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkShadows View Post
we junked a 89 fox 5.0 convertable with a 5sp. had 50k on it. bout wanted to cry it was in good shape. red with the white interior and white (ugly *** color combo thou). but 95% of the cars that were cashed in on that program were absolute junk, i can promise that. just look at the list, the goverment had the list posted a while back. most of them were suv's and old *** trucks, big v8 sedans and what not.
I agree, almost all of the cars that rolled through our dealership were ****. You have to understand these cars had to be worth less than the trade in for clunkers. (& some trades were only worth $1000.00)
SaleenFiend is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion