First time - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:40 PM   #1

Region: California
First time

Lol here's a stupid question I have a 2000 v6 it has 143xxx miles an I want to do oil change what oil is required for it and should I switch to synthetic oil?
Kingkong707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2011, 05:58 PM   #2

Region: Illinois
I would use 5w30
frarey17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Canada
Use synthetic if you plan on following the extended drain intervals. And oil companies are pulling a fast one on the general public. Amsoil red line and royal purple are true synthetics. Most everything else is a refined conventional basestock and not a true synthetic. Not saying that the impostors don't make good oil just that they are mis-leading with their advertising. And a minimum 5w-30 for your engine.

PETOM.biz TTT
Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 07:32 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: First time

I use synthetic oil in mine works great 5w 30 is recomended.
wereKEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut

Not sure if this is true but I heard once you use synthetic you have to stick with that the rest of the time. Not sure why that would be just a thing I recall hearing at one time I think.
gixxer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I use synthetic oil because I heard it protects better and also good for the good old earth.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer007
Not sure if this is true but I heard once you use synthetic you have to stick with that the rest of the time. Not sure why that would be just a thing I recall hearing at one time I think.
Total bull.... Synthetic blends would not exist if that were true
Old 04-04-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereKEV
I use synthetic oil because I heard it protects better and also good for the good old earth.
Not better,longer yes
Old 04-04-2011, 08:12 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Lalayla Send a message via MSN to Lalayla Send a message via Skype™ to Lalayla
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

Not better,longer yes
That's what she said.

Layla - December 2010 Mustang of the Month
Lalayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:13 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalayla

That's what she said.

Damn....bad girl
Old 04-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett

Total bull.... Synthetic blends would not exist if that were true
+1 You can switch back and forth all you want. You can also mix your own oil if you want. A few folks do it.
93CobraGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 06:16 AM   #12
Tib
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

You can switch, no problems. I prefer Mobil 1 5W30 Synthetic
Old 04-05-2011, 09:30 AM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tib
You can switch, no problems. I prefer Mobil 1 5W30 Synthetic
They lied to you. It's not synthetic just so you know. It's a hydrocracked conventional group 3 basestock. The only oil they make that is a real synthetic is the euro 0w-40. The only 3 true synthetic oils that are widely available are Amsoil,red-line and royal purple. Everything and I do mean everything else like what's on the shelves at wal-mart is a highly refined conventional basestock. The government allows the definition of the term synthetic used on these oils because of how refined they are. But molecularly the shape isn't uniform or consistent. That's why when switching from conventional to synthetic in older motors they will sometimes start to leak. The perfectly uniformly shaped molecules get by the minor inconsistencies in sealing surfaces but if you switch back the oil stops leaking. So if your paying the same price for mobil 1 as the 3 I mentioned your getting ripped off
Old 04-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

I will use royal purple next time thanks Mr. wizard.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:33 AM   #15
Tib
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett View Post
They lied to you. It's not synthetic just so you know. It's a hydrocracked conventional group 3 basestock. The only oil they make that is a real synthetic is the euro 0w-40. The only 3 true synthetic oils that are widely available are Amsoil,red-line and royal purple. Everything and I do mean everything else like what's on the shelves at wal-mart is a highly refined conventional basestock. The government allows the definition of the term synthetic used on these oils because of how refined they are. But molecularly the shape isn't uniform or consistent. That's why when switching from conventional to synthetic in older motors they will sometimes start to leak. The perfectly uniformly shaped molecules get by the minor inconsistencies in sealing surfaces but if you switch back the oil stops leaking. So if your paying the same price for mobil 1 as the 3 I mentioned your getting ripped off
Yes you are correct, you've told me several times already ...i've already read BITOG's website.

I choose to use Mobil 1's "Synthetic" for a few reasons...It's readily available and easy to find. You can actually get it fairly cheap if you watch for coupons to advance auto or autozone and stock up. If for some reason, I need a qt, I can have the wife pick it up without her getting confused .

In my experience...I switched to it in my 98GT when I bought it at 28K miles, drove it daily in all weather until 110K miles when the intake cracked (common on the 98's - not oil related) and didn't have any problems. It seemed to run smoother, no ticks, no leaks and actually seemed to increase gas mileage a mile or two.

The way I look at it, if my 03 Yamaha R1 racebike with 143hp/74tq dyno'd, spends most of it's life at 10-12K rpm at speed up to 165mph on the racetrack can spend all of it's 40,000 miles on Motul 5100 Synthetic BLEND 15W50 and never leak, never burn and never had any engine problems - never even opened except for valve inspection at 25K...I would say a Mobil 1 "Synthetic" 5W30 oil for my daily driver is just fine.

I think the key with oil regardless of all factors is to use a quality filter and follow a oil change schedule.

Just my $.02
Old 04-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I.ll take that two cents.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:50 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by frarey17 View Post
I would use 5w30
I know yah? Don't u find urself sometimes in ur mind asking "Wtf is it with people in this world? Corporations and their products of demand by the public
are always not all told or shared the whole truth and nothing BUT the TRUTH!
Whether if it's our food chain,pharmacudical drugs,A physical or Doctor's visit etc. There's ALWAYS SOMETHING ABOUT "WHAT THEY DON' WANT YOU TO KNOW!" PURE BS!
Blustreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:59 PM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tib

Yes you are correct, you've told me several times already ...i've already read BITOG's website.

I choose to use Mobil 1's "Synthetic" for a few reasons...It's readily available and easy to find. You can actually get it fairly cheap if you watch for coupons to advance auto or autozone and stock up. If for some reason, I need a qt, I can have the wife pick it up without her getting confused .

In my experience...I switched to it in my 98GT when I bought it at 28K miles, drove it daily in all weather until 110K miles when the intake cracked (common on the 98's - not oil related) and didn't have any problems. It seemed to run smoother, no ticks, no leaks and actually seemed to increase gas mileage a mile or two.

The way I look at it, if my 03 Yamaha R1 racebike with 143hp/74tq dyno'd, spends most of it's life at 10-12K rpm at speed up to 165mph on the racetrack can spend all of it's 40,000 miles on Motul 5100 Synthetic BLEND 15W50 and never leak, never burn and never had any engine problems - never even opened except for valve inspection at 25K...I would say a Mobil 1 "Synthetic" 5W30 oil for my daily driver is just fine.

I think the key with oil regardless of all factors is to use a quality filter and follow a oil change schedule.

Just my $.02
Not once have I said mobil 1 isn't good oil. It's great oil,it's just that if you compare prices the real stuff is comparable as far as cost and goes longer. I use the 0w40 sometimes. Shears down to a 30 weight pretty quick but it keeps my oil temps a bit lower than a 5w30.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Region: Kentucky

Yep stupid Question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wereKEV View Post
I will use royal purple next time thanks Mr. wizard.
Well ain't you a smart ***.

I use 10w30 royal purple in the rice burning hyundia that I own and 10w40Schaeffer oil in everything else, even the lawnmower.
Straublittleman is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion