Project '93 Ranger GT 5.0HO - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-10-2011, 11:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Hawaii
Exclamation Project '93 Ranger GT 5.0HO

I just wanna know of anybody that completed such a project? Will this involve
any fabrication like motor mount relocation,custom headers things like that?
Should I stay with EFI or swap back to Carb? Will the ranger tranny work w/the 5.0 or will I need to keep aode married to the 5.0? What about driveshaft and the ranger's stock rearend and 4.11's? Can it stay?If you must know it's a regular cab short bed. If there's a conversion kit or a website for this app. I'd like the info.All help appreciated guys/gals. Aloha from Hawaii!
Blustreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 12:00 AM   #2

Region: Canada
Check out therangerstation.com

They have a section dedicated to swapping engines and will be a big help.
Fiveepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Project '93 Ranger GT 5.0HO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveepointoh View Post
Check out therangerstation.com

They have a section dedicated to swapping engines and will be a big help.
Okay Fiveepointoh thanx 4 da info. Chekenumout now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2011, 12:26 AM   #4

No problem man.
Old 04-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveepointoh View Post
No problem man.
therangerstation.com only applies to 1999 and up.Also only covers explorer to ranger swap so thanks anyway but this doesn't help much besides the headers for this swap is a one fit app. and too expensive like 800 for a pair?!
Project aborted.............END OF THREAD! Just gonna keep 5.0 on eng. stand and work on it and make it all perty!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:11 PM   #6

I swear I've seen info on basically all years and models. But ok.

And of course it's not gonna be cheap lol
Old 04-11-2011, 10:31 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Here's a little info I found:

You can use Fox body Mustang motor mounts. They bolt right in, you simple drill and slot the Ranger crossmember.

Only issue with the 4x4 trucks is one of the drain plugs gets very close to the 4x4 crossmember. On some trucks, it's a non-issue, other peopl gently slot the crossmember.
Sedan mounts are slightly taller than convertible mounts, may help this issue. If you go with urethane mounts, Prothane mounts are slightly taller than Energy Suspension.
(Most of us want the lower mounts, but in some instances, the taller may be better)

I placed my engine so that I was able to keep my stock driveshaft. So, if you're removing the transfer case, you may want to try any stock 2wd Ranger LWB driveshaft. Manual and auto trans trucks should have slightly different lengths. (you would check years up to 1997, as 1998 and newer will be longer)

Little more info:

I've heard some bad reviews on the duff headers..... Some people like the tri-y headers from early stangs. My ranger is a 92 and even though the super comp hookers arnt listed for my year ranger "they say 84-90" they fit ok with minor cuss-words.

For cooling a 302 and room to mount a trans cooler, I used the extra short reverse rotation 5.0 timing cover and water pump like used on the 95 stangs. They help increase the room between the pulleys and radiator but you cant use a mechanical fuel pump with that style cover either, you must use an electric fuel pump. I added a 3"x 19"x24" $169 griffen rad, but had to reweld the lower input snout to a different angle to clear the serpentine belts path and welded on some post to the rear so it would sit in the factory mounts. Here is a write up about it and some bad pics.

http://www.fordmuscle.com/phpBB/view...5&forum=19

As for the 8.8 rear, untill you actually have some hp, the 7.5 will last a long time since the rear of the ranger is pretty light and would break traction befor the rear breaks. The 8.8 weights 80 lbs more than the 7.5 and will slow your Track time down if you dont really need it. They share the exact same axle shaft size already. I used a 7.5 for year with a 351w in my ranger with no problems but it only had about 285hp. I found a great deal on an 8.8 and swaped it in. I now run a nitrous 302 and I'm glad I up'ed to the 8.8 when I did.

You'll need to splice into the ignition circuit or under hood engine harness to get a "key on" power sorce to run your fuel pump/starter/ and aftermarket ignition. Also you'll want to disconnect the "check engine" lightbuld in the dash. I'm using my factory fuel pump with a mallory return style regulator. An msd box and a ford duraspark dizzy. I used an underhood engine harness location for "key on" power and "key forward/start" power.

And apparently this site has some swap parts and info you might be interested in:
kaufmannproducts.com
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 10:34 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn

Kaufmann is apparently out of business now, but check out this link for some more info:

V8 Swap FAQ
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion