K&N Cold Air Intake - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #1

K&N Cold Air Intake

I recently installed a K&N cold air intake on my 06 Mustang GT Convertible. I noticed a little after that the engine would idle up and down within 200 RPM's. Any suggestions as to why and if I need to do anything about this? Before the cold air intake, it never did this.
xindepogx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Tuner needed
kickerofdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:02 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Send a message via ICQ to Pete07GT Send a message via AIM to Pete07GT Send a message via Yahoo to Pete07GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by xindepogx
I recently installed a K&N cold air intake on my 06 Mustang GT Convertible. I noticed a little after that the engine would idle up and down within 200 RPM's. Any suggestions as to why and if I need to do anything about this? Before the cold air intake, it never did this.
My buddy has an 06 GT with a K&N CAI. He hasn't tuned it & it's working just fine for him. Ask TexasBoneKing, if you get in his good graces, he "might" just help u out.
When you're going to war, you better have three things if you expect to win: 1. Willpower (One's need to put the petal to the metal); 2. Staying Power (300+ BHP); and 3. Firepower (The wheels of your mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45).
Pete07GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2011, 10:01 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk
Re: K&N Cold Air Intake

Quote:
Originally Posted by xindepogx View Post
I would re-check everything.....sounds like you may have knocked a vacuum line loose somewhere or something.

-Will
Old 06-07-2011, 09:14 AM   #5

Thanks for all the help! I will get her tuned.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:46 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: K&N Cold Air Intake

MOST (read that MOST not all) intakes for 05+ GT Mustangs require a tune to be safe and work right. You may have one that does not, but you need to find out. I am not sure on K&N... but if it doesnt require a retune I personally thing its not doing a good enough job obviously. You can pick up TONS of power from a good intake and a tune... if the tune is done right (bamachips from american muscle have a good reputation on 05+ gt's)
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 09:53 AM   #7

That's what I was thinking. I did some research on the Bama chips and found them to be real good. Good to hear more positive comments on those chips. The engine is only idling within 200 RPMs so nothing serious or threatening to my knowledge. There's definitely more power and more of a big boy growl as I hit the throttle. Thanks for all of your help.
Old 06-24-2011, 10:16 PM   #8

Mine used to do that. I cleaned the throttle body and mass air sensor. They sell the sensor spray at most parts stores and carb cleaner will take care of throttle body.
Yellow Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:02 AM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Texastboneking
Quote:
Originally Posted by xindepogx
Original maf? And also did you disconnect the battery at any point? And no a tune is not required.
Texastboneking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV
MOST (read that MOST not all) intakes for 05+ GT Mustangs require a tune to be safe and work right. You may have one that does not, but you need to find out. I am not sure on K&N... but if it doesnt require a retune I personally thing its not doing a good enough job obviously. You can pick up TONS of power from a good intake and a tune... if the tune is done right (bamachips from american muscle have a good reputation on 05+ gt's)
Do you know why some cai require a tune?
Old 06-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Pete07GT Send a message via AIM to Pete07GT Send a message via Yahoo to Pete07GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastboneking

Do you know why some cai require a tune?
Can I use a lifeline?
When you're going to war, you better have three things if you expect to win: 1. Willpower (One's need to put the petal to the metal); 2. Staying Power (300+ BHP); and 3. Firepower (The wheels of your mustang exploding on the highway like a slug from a .45).
Old 06-25-2011, 09:55 AM   #12
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete07GT

Can I use a lifeline?
You have already used your "call Obama for help" and "ask the ricers" lifelines. All you have left is "pull it out your a$$". So sure go ahead
Old 06-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You have already used your "call Obama for help" and "ask the ricers" lifelines. All you have left is "pull it out your a$$". So sure go ahead
I have never spoken to the president nor have I phoned a ricer. I was going to ask if the tune was required because of the MAF sensor throwing a CEL?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #14
Road Trip!

Quote:

I have never spoken to the president nor have I phoned a ricer. I was going to ask if the tune was required because of the MAF sensor throwing a CEL?
No but it is because of the maf. Not throwing a cel though. Would you like anoither guess?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:05 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

No but it is because of the maf. Not throwing a cel though. Would you like anoither guess?
No Trent, let's hear it.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:16 AM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:

No Trent, let's hear it.
Because you are going to a bigger mass air flow and the computer can't frun it without a tune. The cai itself don't need a tune. It's the maf. The car will die as soon as you start it without a tune because it reads the wrong air flow . You were close though
Old 06-25-2011, 10:20 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Because you are going to a bigger mass air flow and the computer can't frun it without a tune. The cai itself don't need a tune. It's the maf. The car will die as soon as you start it without a tune because it reads the wrong air flow . You were close though
Is this why Ford upgraded the onboard computers starting in 2010?
Old 06-25-2011, 10:22 AM   #18
Road Trip!

Quote:

Is this why Ford upgraded the onboard computers starting in 2010?
No I think most companies did that. It's just something new they did. But that's not the reason.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Tags
cold air intake