Chevy Pissed Off Dodge - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:37 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Re: Chevy Pissed Off Dodge

compaired to what else was on the street at the time....yes
but this is not about the 80s its about today.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2007, 08:38 PM   #37
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
compaired to what else was on the street at the time....yes
but this is not about the 80s its about today.
No. Not compared to lighter, 225 hp 302 coupes with five speeds.

As for today, the Z06 owns all. Indeed.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 12:44 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by hottcobra View Post
the Vette has always been the fastest American sports car. sense the big three have been butting heads
The Vette has just recently surpassed the modern day American competition. The Viper was the fastest American car for most of its life, and for 2008 has apparently become the fastest again. Also from my understanding Vipers are built much sturdier than Vettes and handle increased HP much better. Don't get me wrong I love the new Z06's and would rather have one than a new Viper because I think they look better and I like the concept of trying to make it as light as possible, but with that said its not the end all to all other cars, but yes IMO it is the best bang for the buck Supercar out there right now.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2008, 09:45 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT View Post
Unfortunately, as novel as the idea about bring back the whole thunderbird "revisited" would be, it still wouldn't get ford out of the hole...Sure, it would be a pretty car with a pretty price tag to compete with vettes, vipers, etc. but who would buy them? Corvettes and Vipers don't sell a huge number of units every year...

The car industry's entire purpose (this include Ford and everyone else) is to sell LOTS of cars and make LOTS of money...unfortunately, that in the current market is easier said than done...People just aren't buying cars right now in very large amounts...that being said, what is going to justify the masses to buy this pricey resurrected T-bird, regardless of the performance numbers?

Chevy and Dodge make very little money on their supercar platforms if any at all...There is a reason the Camara and Firebird/Trans-am are dead...Chevy has come close several times through out the years of getting rid of the Corvette division of their company as it's not a huge profit maker, but they keep it because of the name and the "status" it implies...But that status is simply that, a name...It's not a big money maker and that is ultimately what all automotive companies are looking for right now, an instant success that will sell A LOT of cars and pull them out of the toilet...

a $50-75K sportscar/supercar will NOT be the answer...

GM and Mopar dropped the ball. GM should never of dropped the Camero/Firebird and Mopar should of had a Ponycar/sports car over the last 10 years. What happened? All the High School kids went Rice! They all bought Honda Civic's and SSI's and put all that rice garbage on them.
The Japs and Chinese got a big boost from the Fast and Furious movies.
Ford at least kept the Mustang although they let the style sit idle.

Halo cars are important, they don't make the big profits that domestic cars do, but they sell enough to make them worth while. Let alone they draw attention to other products.

Yeah it is nice comparing a GT500 to a Vette or a Viper, but honestly it is not in the same class. Yeah it can compete but it will lose almost every time against a lighter more aerodynamic set of cars. Ford needs a highend supercar. The Ford GT would of been ideal, but it had problems with side impact safety. The Saleen S7 is not really a production car from Ford.
They need something that can put Viper type numbers at a $90,000 range.
Why do you need a Halo Car? Well look at Ferrari, Porshe and Lambo's. They can sell their lesser models because the brand name means something.
Zan186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:48 PM   #40
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

No need to put down viper numbers...the viper is dead after 2010 I believe it is....maybe 2012. One of those anyhow. No more halo car for dodge. I don't think the vette will go away until all the geezers that drive the sales die off. Then I think you will see it go down too.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:52 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROC View Post
The Vette has just recently surpassed the modern day American competition. The Viper was the fastest American car for most of its life, and for 2008 has apparently become the fastest again. Also from my understanding Vipers are built much sturdier than Vettes and handle increased HP much better. Don't get me wrong I love the new Z06's and would rather have one than a new Viper because I think they look better and I like the concept of trying to make it as light as possible, but with that said its not the end all to all other cars, but yes IMO it is the best bang for the buck Supercar out there right now.

The Vette the Fastest? lol Umm NO! The Viper owned the fastest American Production Super Car until Ford Built the Ford GT in 2005. From 1992 to 2004 it was Dodge on top. Technically the Ford GT is not a true production car either since only 3000 units were made. In 2006 the Z06 took the crown by a hair, the SRT Viper was less than .1 second behind in the quater mile.
2008, The Viper again takes the crown.
As for the ZR1, we haven't seen any track times yet, although it should be interesting as the weight and rwhp are very close.

As for modding cars, well unless you go professional the V10 that Dodge has is the shizzle for modding. You can easily tap over 1200 rwhp from that engine without adding a whole lot of weight!
Old 02-12-2008, 09:53 PM   #42
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to wiarumas Send a message via MSN to wiarumas

if ford wants to increase profits...

-good/sporty looking cars
-mediocre power
-exceptional MPG

the money isn't in power. its in a solid jack of all trades master of none car... especially the way gas prices are going. i think they are going in the right direction with the fusion. now they only have to make it better on gas and make it a bit quicker.

Please visit: TheEchoBoom: Gen Y Blog and Forum
wiarumas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 11:27 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
Send a message via Yahoo to sledgehammer

IROC Zs were awsome...

My opinion on this whole deal is that as long as FORD GM and DODGE continue selling domestically Ill be happy. it seems they are more into the forign mrket nowdays.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:15 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

just to add to this chrysler plans on ending production on the viper in 2011.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

get ready to go back to the K car days mopar fans

The Dodge Viper Is Dead: In Lieu Of Flowers, Please Send R&D Funds

Chrysler's future does not come with a Hemi powertrain - Autoblog

Chrysler supposedly in talks with M&M to sell Jeep brand - Autoblog

so yeah i don't seen the challenger sticking around for long and i guess the rest of chrysler will be sold to the chinese.
Old 02-13-2008, 04:46 PM   #46
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
No need to put down viper numbers...the viper is dead after 2010 I believe it is....maybe 2012. One of those anyhow. No more halo car for dodge. I don't think the vette will go away until all the geezers that drive the sales die off. Then I think you will see it go down too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangfan2003 View Post
just to add to this chrysler plans on ending production on the viper in 2011.

Yup...
Old 02-17-2008, 02:51 AM   #47
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

Ford needs to rethink the market.

Ok, Shelby Mustang.. powerful engine, yet the interior stays bland? And you want me to dump 50-80 grand on that? :-/

Something moderately fast, great interior, and not over priced.

Hell the 450 hp GTO with an LS2 engine new went for 32 grand and that thing was built extremely well.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:23 PM   #48
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California

Last night I drooled looking at stats and pictures over the new Challenger. ****ing sweet.

Christopher Reeve - Even though I don't personally believe in the Lord, I try to behave as though He was watching.
Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 01:41 PM   #49

2011 is still a long way off. Right now 1500 of the 1800 (2008 Vipers) have been already ordered. If sales keep up that way for the next 3 years I seriously doubt they will pull the plug.
Killing off the Viper really doesnt make any sense. It is profitable, even if it is peanuts compared to the domestics.

Worst thing is the effect this will have on all enthusiast cars. Viper is the top American Sports car, followed closely by the Corvette. These two cars have been pushing each other to increase performance for years now. Competition is good! I wish Ford would jump into that ring. A three way competion would be ideal and the car enthusiast come out as winners.

I still think the demise of the Viper is still just a rumor. Espeacially if demand is high!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion