Chevy Pissed Off Dodge - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-25-2007, 03:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Exclamation Chevy Pissed Off Dodge

With the C6 Z06, so this is Dodges responce. Sorry its not more of a performance test.

Apparently it one ups the Z06 in most performance catagories, but I'm sure that will change when Chevy releases its new Z07, SS, Blue Devil, or whatever their going to call it Vette here in a year or so, and it will probably keep snowballing from there. Thats all well and good and everything but I want to know where the **** is Ford, they need to get in the game.... Oh wait, I forgot, Fords letting Shelby build the 600 and 725 HP Super Pigs.(the 725hp version will not have a warrenty) I bet GM and Chrysler are shaking in their boots. Ford needs to quit BSing around and build a car to compete directly with the Viper and Vette and quit trying to do it with some fat ***, 2 ton Mustang, with a stupid *** Shelby badge. Thats my opinion anyway.
JROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2007, 05:06 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: Chevy Pissed Off Dodge

ford doesn't have to compete... sadly. If ford could make money doing it they would...
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 05:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

ford doesnt need to compete...........an 03/04 cobra with a kb and full boltons should make just as much or more hp than that and for half the price after the mods. ford knows people mod sportscars to make them fast, so why not just build it decently and make it have the potential to go much faster.

a whipple is far more powerful and efficient than an eaton, but why didnt they put that in there to begin with? b/c its cheaper
Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2007, 08:30 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia

ford didnt compete with the vette it was the camaro and thats dead. ford wins.
02vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I think if Ford would build "cooler"(can't think of a better word) cars then their sells would be up. Most of their new cars look kind of blah, or somethink like that. Let face it as much as we like Mustangs their not very advanced cars.(their affordable musclecars) If Ford built a higherend car to compete with Vettes, Vipers, and the foreign cars, priced it reasonably, and didn't set a limit on its production it could bring people over to the brand. I'm not saying it has to be as exotic as the GT, but people sure were impressed by that car, and now Chevy and Dodges highend offering are out performing it only a few years later for much less money.
Old 08-25-2007, 10:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

Mustangs aren't supposed to be supercars like the Viper or Vette. It's an affordable car that anyone can buy, that's its appeal. It's one of the best selling cars of all time and as common as the civic. However Ford knows that the base they put out has much greater potential than either Dodge or Chevy. That's average Joe's second appeal to it. It will not need as much money into it to distinguish it as just an ordinary Mustang and it can compete with the big boys as well.

What I see went wrong with the GT40 was the made it more of a replica of the LeMans than tomorrows Supercar. However no one wants to spend 100G on some psuedo-replica. With the GT40 Ford should take one and gut it and just proceed to build their Supercar. Let the interior work around that. What ever happened to less is more?

IMO Ford>Dodge>Chevy; Corvette>Viper>Mustang. However that last opinion is quite true since the class the Mustang fills is not the same as either Viper or Vette. Therefor all this is becoming redundant

Sorry I just get a little bothered when people compare apples and oranges. It's like comparing a Stanze to a Mustang or something. Do I like the rivalry between The Big 3? Yes. Between Vette and Mustang? Surely. As much I want to believe the Mustang is better than the Vette and despite personal belief and opinion and with the exception of circumstances, the Corvette simply is better "out of the box".
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:37 PM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

imo ford needs to bring back the Tbird, make it look badass, 2 seater, make it light (3200 or lower), and give it the 5.4L/4V/Eaton/T56/IRS combo. 500whp base, 600whp for the upper level. priced 50k MSRP and mandatory maximum markup of $5k. they will sell insanely fast, moving more units, which in turn with the smaller markup, means the dealership will want to sell more, which means they order more, which means ford has to make more, which means ford makes money.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 11:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
Mustangs aren't supposed to be supercars like the Viper or Vette. It's an affordable car that anyone can buy, that's its appeal. It's one of the best selling cars of all time and as common as the civic. However Ford knows that the base they put out has much greater potential than either Dodge or Chevy. That's average Joe's second appeal to it. It will not need as much money into it to distinguish it as just an ordinary Mustang and it can compete with the big boys as well.

What I see went wrong with the GT40 was the made it more of a replica of the LeMans than tomorrows Supercar. However no one wants to spend 100G on some psuedo-replica. With the GT40 Ford should take one and gut it and just proceed to build their Supercar. Let the interior work around that. What ever happened to less is more?

IMO Ford>Dodge>Chevy; Corvette>Viper>Mustang. However that last opinion is quite true since the class the Mustang fills is not the same as either Viper or Vette. Therefor all this is becoming redundant

Sorry I just get a little bothered when people compare apples and oranges. It's like comparing a Stanze to a Mustang or something. Do I like the rivalry between The Big 3? Yes. Between Vette and Mustang? Surely. As much I want to believe the Mustang is better than the Vette and despite personal belief and opinion and with the exception of circumstances, the Corvette simply is better "out of the box".
I'm in aggrement with you, Mustangs shouldn't be compared with Vette's, etc. When the new Camaro, and Challenger come out that should and will be it competition. But the Mustang is the top performance car in the Ford lineup, (atleast in the U.S.) and even if its controdictory to what I just said the GT500's closest competition is a base model Vette, and I don't think it should be that way because as you said its based off a cheap performance car platform.

Porsche didn't rely on the 911 to compete with the Enzo, they built the Carrera GT, something of that nature is what I'm trying to say. It should be a pride thing to Ford being that their the third largest automaker in the world they should have a bad *** supercar to compete with other supercars.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:57 PM   #9
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang

gesh, but one thing when ford came back out with the "GT" (GT40) they had to call it the GT, because Ford sold the rights to the term "GT40" a long timeago. they wanted it back when they brought the GT back out (overpriced underpower sportscar) but the guy said u need to pay this price and ford said no due to the price and the short run of the new GT. .. and the mustang is a everyday car that a 16 year old girl can buy all the way up to your 29 year old Cobra guy. Btw, the GT500 is a cool car but its no means a cobra, and ford is just using old school names (sorry shelby ) to try to get the middle age guy to buy one of these fat over priced cars. The real cobra was a sports car, the SVT Cobra is a new age sports car till ford killed the SVT. Ford is stuck on the razerblade front on everything from the 500-SUV's and some trucks.... o well i am true to ford due to my family workes for ford (well for a few more months due to FOrd selling the shops) but the other car makers are doing the right thing, and ford is hoping that the past will make up the rest...
Old 08-26-2007, 01:34 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Send a message via AIM to OsirisGuy

^ So you think the "revert to previous model name" philosophy will help? With the Five Hundred being reverted back to Taurus/Sable? Anyway I do hope things go well for your family.

I see what Ford is trying to do is moving sideways instead of forward. They can be doing a lot more to gain ground, but instead do enough to stay around. They can be doing a lot less anyways. Ford has to take similar steps as the others as well as what they have already done and I'm sure they'll reclaim the number one spot. Their quality is going up so that's a plus, and J.D. Power seems to have liked them this past year. So maybe this is a good sign? :dunno:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangaroo View Post
OsirisGuy is right
2002 Mustang GT

BBK CAI - Flowmaster Catbacks - Pro 5.0 Shifter
OsirisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Indiana
Send a message via AIM to Fishers Stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by OsirisGuy View Post
^ So you think the "revert to previous model name" philosophy will help? With the Five Hundred being reverted back to Taurus/Sable? Anyway I do hope things go well for your family.

I see what Ford is trying to do is moving sideways instead of forward. They can be doing a lot more to gain ground, but instead do enough to stay around. They can be doing a lot less anyways. Ford has to take similar steps as the others as well as what they have already done and I'm sure they'll reclaim the number one spot. Their quality is going up so that's a plus, and J.D. Power seems to have liked them this past year. So maybe this is a good sign? :dunno:
no i mean ford made a 500 back in the 60's we had one. and yeah once more they came back out with the taurus... still overpriced family car that does not get good gas miles.
Old 08-26-2007, 11:37 AM   #12
Legacy Member
Legacy

Send a message via AIM to MarkuzLS1

I would drive one. What's the sticker price going to get up to? $90,000?

I like turtles.
MarkuzLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 02:21 PM   #13
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishers Stang View Post
they wanted it back when they brought the GT back out (overpriced underpower sportscar) but the guy said u need to pay this price and ford said no due to the price and the short run of the new GT. ..
The ford GT is underpowered? You've obviously never ridden in one. That "under powered" car made my 500 hp cobra seem like a family station wagon.

Ford doesn't need a sports car. They have never really had a competitive sports car. They had a couple muscle cars...but their bread and butter is the pony car market (when it comes to cars anyhow). A powerful car for the masses instead of a powerful car for the few.

I just don't see a return on investment high enough to warrant a sports car. As long as they keep putting out mustangs that respond very well to simple mods, there will be no need for anything else.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
imo ford needs to bring back the Tbird, make it look badass, 2 seater, make it light (3200 or lower), and give it the 5.4L/4V/Eaton/T56/IRS combo. 500whp base, 600whp for the upper level. priced 50k MSRP and mandatory maximum markup of $5k. they will sell insanely fast, moving more units, which in turn with the smaller markup, means the dealership will want to sell more, which means they order more, which means ford has to make more, which means ford makes money.
Damn, believe it or not, I was thinking the EXACT THING. The T-bird was originally designed to be a vette killer and it did just that, the first year it came out it did kill the vette, in sales. But the oringal intent was to make a better car than the vette.

Like Thomas said rerererelease the tbird with some cajones, lightweight, and make it a little pricey, and make dam sure that it will whoop the **** out of Dodge's and GM's "supercars." :yup:
Old 08-26-2007, 04:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt482 View Post
Damn, believe it or not, I was thinking the EXACT THING. The T-bird was originally designed to be a vette killer and it did just that, the first year it came out it did kill the vette, in sales. But the oringal intent was to make a better car than the vette.

Like Thomas said rerererelease the tbird with some cajones, lightweight, and make it a little pricey, and make dam sure that it will whoop the **** out of Dodge's and GM's "supercars." :yup:
Hey, check it out, we agree again.
Old 08-26-2007, 04:42 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Nice... If it's a topic that all three of us agree on, then hell should be frozen and Ford might actually do it. Who knows.. The sky might fall first though
Old 08-26-2007, 07:17 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Send a message via AIM to SpectorV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureVenom View Post
The ford GT is underpowered? You've obviously never ridden in one. That "under powered" car made my 500 hp cobra seem like a family station wagon.

Ford doesn't need a sports car. They have never really had a competitive sports car. They had a couple muscle cars...but their bread and butter is the pony car market (when it comes to cars anyhow). A powerful car for the masses instead of a powerful car for the few.

I just don't see a return on investment high enough to warrant a sports car. As long as they keep putting out mustangs that respond very well to simple mods, there will be no need for anything else.
You are right, ford found a slice of the market and is using it to their advantage. If they wanted to compete they would have to raise the bar and the price of the given vehicle.... and thus it would be just like the other guys.

To ford its not about having the fastest car or the best performer its about making profit. If they could make a ton of money by turning the mustang into a hybrid they would... in a second lol.

I would like to see them offer some higher up top model mustangs with some good features.. the 03/04 cobra was a great start but they should have done some more RnD on it even if it cost me more it would have been worth it.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:50 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: New Jersey
Send a message via AIM to DarkShadow

Quote:
Nice... If it's a topic that all three of us agree on, then hell should be frozen and Ford might actually do it. Who knows.. The sky might fall first though
I'm going to add a fourth to this opinion, and was actually going to post nearly exactly what Thomas posted before I read it, since indeed, the Tbird was created to be in DIRECT competition with the Corvette.

The base model should be the current Shelby motor but with no blower, or at least a smaller one.

Now get this:

The top of the line model will still have all the nice little interrior amenitites, but have a weight reduction kit (assuming Ford engineers are finally figuring out that weight makes a difference), a blower, or bigger one, maybe even form a partnership with KB for the charger, top of the line suspension upgrades (even over the base model Tbird) in other words make it handle competantly with a Vette, and name it the..............

Thunderbird Phoenix...

Hmm...? Oh yeah. Up from the ashes.
Old 08-26-2007, 09:58 PM   #19
Legacy Member
Legacy

Oh and scratch that about the Shebly motor. They need to R&D a new aluminum DOHC 351.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:48 AM   #20
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169

yeah i dunno bout the whole Phoenix Rising thing.......

however a 4v 5.4L, T3650 Solid Rear combo for base would be a cheap option, make 350ish to the wheels and if its light and cheap, would be an awesome performer.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:06 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

Unfortunately, as novel as the idea about bring back the whole thunderbird "revisited" would be, it still wouldn't get ford out of the hole...Sure, it would be a pretty car with a pretty price tag to compete with vettes, vipers, etc. but who would buy them? Corvettes and Vipers don't sell a huge number of units every year...

The car industry's entire purpose (this include Ford and everyone else) is to sell LOTS of cars and make LOTS of money...unfortunately, that in the current market is easier said than done...People just aren't buying cars right now in very large amounts...that being said, what is going to justify the masses to buy this pricey resurrected T-bird, regardless of the performance numbers?

Chevy and Dodge make very little money on their supercar platforms if any at all...There is a reason the Camara and Firebird/Trans-am are dead...Chevy has come close several times through out the years of getting rid of the Corvette division of their company as it's not a huge profit maker, but they keep it because of the name and the "status" it implies...But that status is simply that, a name...It's not a big money maker and that is ultimately what all automotive companies are looking for right now, an instant success that will sell A LOT of cars and pull them out of the toilet...

a $50-75K sportscar/supercar will NOT be the answer...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 11:20 AM   #22
n8r
Legacy Member
Legacy

The Viper is just strait up bad ***.
n8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:14 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

The idea is not to pull Ford out of the hole with this car. It is just a chance for Ford to have a super cool car again. Car purchasing has not declined nearly as much as GM/Ford would have you think, they just aren't buying domestics.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:33 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y2E0L0L5OGWT View Post
Unfortunately, as novel as the idea about bring back the whole thunderbird "revisited" would be, it still wouldn't get ford out of the hole...Sure, it would be a pretty....................and that is ultimately what all automotive companies are looking for right now, an instant success that will sell A LOT of cars and pull them out of the toilet...

a $50-75K sportscar/supercar will NOT be the answer...

We weren't saying it would be the answer to Ford's problems by any means. We were just saying that it would be nice for Ford to come up with a good answer to the Zed oh 6.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Send a message via AIM to Y2E0L0L5OGWT Send a message via Yahoo to Y2E0L0L5OGWT

Quote:
We weren't saying it would be the answer to Ford's problems by any means. We were just saying that it would be nice for Ford to come up with a good answer to the Zed oh 6.
oh I know, I agree with that completely, but they have the get out of the tank first was my point...they can't redesign any "super" sportscars until they redesign their shi**y regular car market to start making a little bit of green...
'05 GT - Borla Catback, JLT Series 3 Intake & SCT SF3 Tuner, Koni Adjustable Shocks/Struts, H&R Race Springs, Roush Shifter, Hawk HP+ Brakes all around, Steeda Front Sway Bar & End-Links, Royal Purple Fluids
'2011 F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab - 6.7L PSD 4x4
Y2E0L0L5OGWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:07 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Stop killing our dream.........
Old 08-27-2007, 07:26 PM   #27
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Stop killing our dream.........
y'arly, i was rather enjoying my little fantasy of driving around in a from the factory Corvette killing Ford. Then you had to go piss in my cheerios.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:04 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

bottom line is this. weather you like it or not. GM will always win. the Z06 is just as much of a supercar as the rest. but at the same time. it's half the price. and has more options that the other cars don't like nav., stibality system, XM radio, on star, remote start, memory power seats, & all the other bells.

2006 Mustang GT lots of mods ex wife has it
1979 corvette stingray #'s matching 47K org. miles
1970Chevelle SS 454 big block Old School 500hp Sold
hottcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:09 PM   #29
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

How will GM always win? Just like they were winning in the mid to late eighties???

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:16 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I didn't see any 86-87 foxs out running any IROC-Zs

Old 08-27-2007, 08:17 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

the Vette has always been the fastest American sports car. sense the big three have been butting heads

Old 08-27-2007, 08:19 PM   #32
Legacy Member
Legacy

It's easy to not see something if you close your eyes.

Scary stuff.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:24 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

well I'm not gonna argue I'm let the car & driver, motortrend, & even the ******** from Topgear. can't help but say that pound for pound dollar for dollar it's one of the best sports cars ever built

Old 08-27-2007, 08:25 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

any why aruge the 80's when bhp was 110hp

Old 08-27-2007, 08:27 PM   #35
Legacy Member
Legacy

Yeah, those 225hp 5.7Ls with automatics were truly amazing.

Scary stuff.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion