Next daily driver?? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-16-2011, 11:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Next daily driver??

I'm starting to save up for a new daily driver. I have the stang for nice days but the '00 sunfire gt I drive daily is, well, a sunfire. Lol. It was my first car and has served me well, but I want a car thats fun to drive everyday. I want American and I want a "tuner" car. Another mustang has crossed my mind but gas and winters doesn't make a mustang as a daily driver a smart idea. My 2 main choices so far are either a 2003-2005 dodge srt-4 or a cobalt ss... Supercharged or turbo, doesn't matter. Any opinions? I'm really leaning toward the srt-4 and yes, I know it's based off a neon, but I'm fine with that. Thanks
eouellette18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, I know this has nothing to do with mustangs. Just wanted some opinions and didn't know where else to post this.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:00 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Re: Next daily driver??

Don't be so quick to write off Mustangs.... I always thought Mustangs were crappy for winter driving but I put some Dunlop winter sport tires on our 05 GT last winter and it handled ice and snow very well. They weren't cheap, I spent over a thousand on them..

07 Roush 427R, Brembo 14" rotor and four piston calipers

05 GT Mustang, FRPP, FR X pipe, Hurst short throw,
American Racing Torque Thrust 10X20 wheels,
Granettelli tower brace, custom painted flat black grafix, Yellow Optima
Beav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2011, 07:20 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Send a message via MSN to hihosilver
I have a set of Blizzaks for mine in the winter and it's unstoppable. (Unless I'm trying to stop... you know what I mean). I HATE FWD in the snow.
hihosilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to Knight F Mohawk

RWD or AWD > FWD

-Will
Old 07-17-2011, 11:27 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Yah everyone thinks FWD is the way to go in snow. A RWD vehicle with some good winter treads will handle just fine. Keep a light foot, put some weight in the trunk, and allow enough room/time to brake, and you'd be fine. I have a friend who drives a modded G35 all year round and he does fine. He only has Blizzaks on the rears too.

It's the other drivers on the road that I worry about in winter.

90% of accidents and mishaps in the winter are caused by the driver..over confidence or too much lead foot. I lost count of the number of suv's I saw in the ditch while I drove my stang to school 60 miles round trip one year. It all comes down to the driver.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, I'd really like another stang, but again, gas milage is an issue. I would want a V6 stang too. When it comes to mustangs, it's either V8 or nothing. Lol. Not saying I don't respect any V6s, just my opinion. And I kind of want a fwd tuner compact to appeal to both sides of my personality... Lol. I just don't want foreign... Lol.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eouellette18 View Post
Yeah, I'd really like another stang, but again, gas milage is an issue. I would want a V6 stang too. When it comes to mustangs, it's either V8 or nothing. Lol. Not saying I don't respect any V6s, just my opinion. And I kind of want a fwd tuner compact to appeal to both sides of my personality... Lol. I just don't want foreign... Lol.
So one side of your personality prefers less power, tires that pull instead of push, pointless torque steer, and a car that you can't slide around when you feel like it?

If that's the case, go for it

-Will
Old 07-17-2011, 01:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

No, one side wants brute force V8 power and the other wants light weight, turbo charged, 4 cylinder power and is hood on gas. Is it that hard to understand???
Old 07-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

*good on gas
Old 07-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by eouellette18
No, one side wants brute force V8 power and the other wants light weight, turbo charged, 4 cylinder power and is hood on gas. Is it that hard to understand???
Nah, I get what you mean. And the neon srt4s actually handle well... And trust me, I know from experience.. It's great around corners, yes it has torque steer, but with a new turbo and a tune you can make 300 at the wheels easily.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you! Someone gets what I mean! Lol.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:13 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Have you looked intona mitsubishi VR4 or 3000 GT best looking tuners by far IMO
Dubya11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 02:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yes and no... I thought about foreign cars but I realized that I really want to keep with American. If I was going to buy a foreign tuner, it would probably be either a wrx or 350z.
Old 07-17-2011, 02:55 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

New V8's can get surprisingly good gas mileage. With modern technology, you don't have to get a 4 cyl. to get 30ish MPG anymore

SRT-4's are not bad cars. My g/f has one. If you plan on getting one, MAKE SURE it is a lower miles, BONE STOCK one. The axles/clutch do not hold up well to mods and abuse. There are also a couple parts that don't hold up well to miles. If it was owned by a 17 year old, avoid it. They are very fun, affordable cars that can be pretty quick....but a lot of SRT-4 owners are not exactly the type to be worried about maintaining their cars. They just want to be fast and cool *right now*.....who cars if an axle is popping.

If you get a Cobalt SS, get a turbo or don't do it. The supercharged ones simply don't cut it IMHO. SRT-4 > Supercharged CSS.

Something else to consider is an SVT Focus. N/A with a few bolt ons they can be as peppy as a S/C CSS.

I would say to consider a WRX. AWD, 4-cyl., turbo, strong aftermarket, good gas mileage.

-Will
Old 07-17-2011, 03:05 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks! The reason I would get an srt-4 over these others is that, I have always loved dodge, it's got 4 doors= practical, and I just think it looks cool. Ive seen a couple at dealers with about 65,000 miles. Is that a lot for that car? I probably won't be able to get one until next year, but I figured I'd start looking at prices and stuff. The only thing stopping me from a wrx is that it is Japanese and I had a bad encounter with a real dick wrx driver... Lol.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubya11 View Post
Have you looked intona mitsubishi VR4 or 3000 GT best looking tuners by far IMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by eouellette18 View Post
Yes and no... I thought about foreign cars but I realized that I really want to keep with American. If I was going to buy a foreign tuner, it would probably be either a wrx or 350z.
Get a Dodge Stealth...basically the same car only "Americanized".

My buddy from work had the TT with aftermarket garretts...kept me pinned in the seat for a few gears they look decent and are 4wd.

I agree on the v8's getting decent mileage...you might not get 30mpgs with a GT, but you can probably pull mid 20's on the highway...and have the torque to haul ***, where the SRT 4 doesn't.

12 Black GT500 SVT PP l VMP TVS l JLT123 l O/R X l 28x11.50Rx15 M/T Street R's l BMR Suspension l Recaros

03 Sonic Blue 3.8 / 17 Magnetic Fusion Sport 2.7 EB
sonicpony03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

To be honest, I don't really like the look of the stealth and the srt-4 might not be as powerful as a v8 but it still hangs with a lot of mustang gts. I figure any car that can do that is worth looking into! Lol
Old 07-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Region: North Carolina

just get like a 1978 bug...they're foreign but they're german so it's all good!!!!!

or whatever your pocketbook is like idk you could strive for a newer Tauras/fusion...
2008Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:23 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Don't discount the Subaru WRXs if you decide to look into foreign cars at some point. They are pretty quick and handle very well.

Either way, I'm sure you'll enjoy any of the cars that you've listed. Good luck!

*SOLD* 2012 GT Premium, Black on Black, 3.55 Axle, HID and Security Package, Pypes Pype Bomb Axle Backs
skyline247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you! I've gone back and forth several times on whether or not I want a wrx or srt-4... So I'll probably change my mind several more times before I can buy it. I mainly like how the srt-4 looks kind of like a viper and is less expensive than a wrx... But we will have to see I guess!
Old 07-17-2011, 09:34 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicpony03

Get a Dodge Stealth...basically the same car only "Americanized".

My buddy from work had the TT with aftermarket garretts...kept me pinned in the seat for a few gears they look decent and are 4wd.

I agree on the v8's getting decent mileage...you might not get 30mpgs with a GT, but you can probably pull mid 20's on the highway...and have the torque to haul ***, where the SRT 4 doesn't.
He said it look into the dodge suped up stealths twin turbo my friends!
Dubya11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 01:43 AM   #23
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
I used to sell cars so i can help. What do you do in ur car? Just go back and
Forth to work?over high way or dirt ? Or both? Road Trips ever ? How much room do u need? Just some things to think about also how old are you? And how much leather u want in it?
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I travel back and forth from work to school and home. I go out with friends quite a bit so I would like 4 doors. I'm also a huge car enthusiast. I can't just go from point a to b. I want fun. I'm also 20 but I wouldn't be buying a new one until I'm 21. I also have a clean record. No tickets or accidents.
Old 08-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Anymoney to put down? What style of auto r u into truck suv car import or domestic ? So far from what uv said id say look for a used subaru sounds neat got 4 doors and enough room. decent on gas and easy to tune for friday nights if u know what i mean but money thats the last question how much r u looking to spend?
Old 08-07-2011, 07:51 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I have about 2 grand put away and I'm going to be selling my pontiac sunfire which I can probably get about 2-3 grand out of. And I would really like to buy American. So far I'm pretty dead set on an 03-05 srt-4. I've seen a couple for sale with low miles and in excellent shape for under 10,000...
Old 08-08-2011, 09:09 PM   #27
Road Trip!

Thats cool sounds about perfict for u to... Now me on the other hand: 5 g down personal loan for 15 g use the 5 as colateral and by a nice corvett or better yet a mustang mid 90s and put over 10 g in engine and ride control mods have one bad a$$ car to cruse in!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:51 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Hahaha. Sounds like a good plan to me! It's tough trying to save all my money instead of buying stuff for the stang! Oh well, I think it will be worth it! Thanks for the support!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > Off Topic Forums > General Car Discussion